Coral Dipping

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I posted in an earlier thread that I received some new corals. I don't have a frag rack, nor are any of these new corals on plugs. Not exactly sure what they are, but I'm going to go with DSC Reef's guesses and say one is a brownish plating monti, a confusa spongode monti, a orange encrusting monti, and a tealish candy cane of some kind. These all came from a tank that I suspect ich was in. So I plan on QT'ing these pieces for the 73 days. However, I also would like to dip. I ordered some of the Blue Ocean coral RX dip and was looking for some advice. I mounted the encrusting and spongode onto a couple separate pieces of live rock. Is it alright to dip these pieces with the live rock? And how often should I dip for the 73 days or is the 73 days overkill? I definitely want to see that encrusting and spongode survive.

Thanks guys!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The liverock should be fine to dip if they are just small pieces, just make sure your rinse off all of the pieces in a container of fresh saltwater a couple of times after you dip.

I usually use two separate fresh saltwater containers for rinsing and my dip sequence goes like so if I'm doing multiple corals at once: hold corals in holding container, Dip for 3-5 minutes (depends on which dip I'm using at the time), rinse in saltwater container one, rinse in saltwater container two, corals go in QT or Display tank.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't dip the rock. Take frags back off of where you mounted them.
Well; I have them super glued to the rock. Now that they're on the rock, shouldn't the rock be dipped as well in case of contamination? Dipping the rock wouldn't be any different than dipping a frag plug correct?

The liverock should be fine to dip if they are just small pieces, just make sure your rinse off all of the pieces in a container of fresh saltwater a couple of times after you dip.

I usually use two separate fresh saltwater containers for rinsing and my dip sequence goes like so if I'm doing multiple corals at once: hold corals in holding container, Dip for 3-5 minutes (depends on which dip I'm using at the time), rinse in saltwater container one, rinse in saltwater container two, corals go in QT or Display tank.
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back