Coral Issue need Advice quickly (Quarantine)

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I had a quick question regarding putting my new Monti ( beach bum) in the display tank . I recently started my quarantine tank up again and one of my corals is not doing so hot. I have had it in quarantine for over 2 weeks and its starting to lose color fast. I have 12 other corals in the quarantine system that seem to be doing fine. I normally quarantine everything wet for4 to 6 weeks to keep pest and ICH out. I had to go fallow a couple years ago and have yet to introduce ich back into the tank after treating all fish and quarantining everything wet.

I have already dipped it and would dip the coral again and cutoff as much as the plug as possible. I know I can keep almost any coral in the display tank but have been having issues with sps and some other corals surviving quarantine. Should I risk it on the odds of there being a 1 to 3 percent chance Ich is still on the frag. The coral cost me a good amount of money and I don't wanna lose it. I believe the issues are just new tank syndrome and I should of let the quarantine tank sit for 3 months before buying coral but you know when you see a deal you cant pass up.

Any Help would be Great

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll just have to weigh the risks vs. reward yourself. While the odds are low that ich is on frag, it's still a possibility. How much do you have invested in the livestock in your display tank? Don't let yourself fall for the sunken cost fallacy trying not to lose the monetary investment on the coral. If you've invested even more money (and time) into your display tank, it's probably not worth the risk. Plus there's the possibility that you risk it, put the coral in your display tank, and still lose the coral. While I haven't quarantined any of the corals/inverts that have gone into my tank. If I had, I wouldn't want to break that protocol and potentially erase all of my previous efforts. That's probably not what you want to hear, but that's just my $0.02.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes a lot of sense, we have the protocols setup for a reason. If I start breaking them now it will only lead to future problems. I have approximately $2000- $4000 in retail value of live stock in my tank. I never paid near that price but 3 years of growing out coral would be about that to replace them and the fish at there current size. I'll start with a 50% water change twice a week add carbon and start cleaning the filters of the quarantine. It's a $100 frag which is like 3 hours of work not the end of the world. Thanks for the advice!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all! It's easy to convince ourselves that doing something is ok, even when deep down we know it probably isn't. It's a slippery slope as well. You do it this one time and then it's easier to ignore protocol next time, especially if it goes well this time. But all it takes is one time and all of your previous efforts were for nothing.

I hope the coral makes it!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back