cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m cycling my fish tank and I used Dr Tims one and only on Monday, i unfortunately fell ill and did not have access to my tank until today so there was no ammonium chloride being added to it. How do I go about cycling it now? Can I still start the cycle by adding the ammonium chloride? Thank you

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the recommended number of drops of ammonium chloride now. Are you using a test kit? You want to dose ammonia to 2ppm. Don't overdose.

For your best chances for success, go slow and research. Don't rush things. You are not going to have the Great Barrier Reef in a glass box overnight. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep doing what you are doing, it will get there. Take care of yourself first!

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add the recommended number of drops of ammonium chloride now. Are you using a test kit? You want to dose ammonia to 2ppm. Don't overdose.

For your best chances for success, go slow and research. Don't rush things. You are not going to have the Great Barrier Reef in a glass box overnight. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
IMG_5216.jpeg

I tested my ammonium and this was it

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, just give it a little time. Try to get yourself a decent nitrate fest kit. I like Salifert, but like Red Sea or even a Hanna Checker. Don't rely on API if you can help it. Check for Nitrates in a few days.

Got a picture of your tank?

There is a LOT of info on the forum about cycling a tank. Just search 'cycling' and you will have more than you can read! But it basically boils down to; saltwater flowing around rocks + some bottled bac + some bac food (ammonia) + time (about 10 days) = ready for life.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would update you, I’ve added ammonium chloride, 20 drops for my 5 gallon tank, for the past 3 days and the ammonium is still very high and not changing. Thoughts?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would update you, I’ve added ammonium chloride, 20 drops for my 5 gallon tank, for the past 3 days and the ammonium is still very high and not changing. Thoughts?
It can take a while to show any reduction, you are at day 3. I think the link I posted previously by @taricha had Dr Tim's start processing at day 8, without looking. It could be faster or slower than that though.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're on track. The waiting game is the hardest game to play though. Good luck!

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you clarify? You added 20 drops 3 days ago, or 20 drops each day for the past 3 days.

If 3 days ago, that's good. Like Garf and Freebe said, it takes a while.

If each day, don't add any more. You only need to add ammonia once to get things going.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while to show any reduction, you are at day 3.
right. In my tests, One and Only ( a couple of different bottles) showed ammonia processing in the 12-20 day ballpark. Could be faster under other conditions, but 3 or even 10 days is nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
C

cameron_atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you clarify? You added 20 drops 3 days ago, or 20 drops each day for the past 3 days.

If 3 days ago, that's good. Like Garf and Freebe said, it takes a while.

If each day, don't add any more. You only need to add ammonia once to get things going.
I’ve been adding 20 each day only because on the website it said “ If the ammonia or nitrite values are over 5 ppm NH3-N skip the next addition of ammonia drops.”

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back