OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing parts are on order, probably won’t receive them til next week sometime. In the mean time I’m putting RO water in the tank. Might go out tomorrow and purchase some rock.

If I have RO water in the tank, should I keep it circulated or does it not matter since it’s not salt water yet?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And onto the worst part about a new tank... aquascaping ughh it’s always so difficult for me [emoji35]

Back to the other question, does anyone know if I should be circulating RO water that’s in the tank or will it be okay with no circulation?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay well since no one wanted to answer I just decided to throw my mp40 in there for safe measure... for being a brand new mp40wqd... it’s rather loud at higher speeds.. anyone else experience this? I used the correct spacer and made sure it was aligned perfect and it’s just loud at like 50% it seems. I mean it could be me, I haven’t owned a vortech in a few years

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I essentially cycle the tank without doing the plumbing first? I figure while I’m waiting to do my plumbing and get my return pump in, I might as well start to cycle the actually tank then just add more water after the plumbing is done to fill the sump.

I received some of my plumbing today but I’m still waiting on all the fittings. They probably won’t arrive until late this week, early next week.

I also have sand for the tank that I can add once I add the right amount of salt

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I essentially cycle the tank without doing the plumbing first? I figure while I’m waiting to do my plumbing and get my return pump in, I might as well start to cycle the actually tank then just add more water after the plumbing is done to fill the sump.
Yes. That should be fine.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There may be an obvious answer to this but does a heater need to be in the tank for the cycle??
No. You wouldn't need one for the cycle. Bacteria will grow just fine at room temp. :)

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool because my heater is in my sump and actually won’t reach to the top of the tank. And it’s hooked up to my apex so I can’t just plug it in somewhere else or else it would just constantly stay on lol

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a couple pics of my scape so far. Still have 4 or 5 pieces from the nano that I’ll put in there once that tank breaks down but what do you guys think??
2797eb08f621a911a671a8e4f5bb66d7.jpg
ce22091c7916203457749802f51e15af.jpg

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 questions.

1. I have the Ace Janitorial ammonia to kick start the cycle.. how much do I add?

2. I should definitely add the sand before starting the cycle right?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nvm.. I remembered to put the sand in first. I put 40lbs of Hawaiian Black sand in. I wish it was more black then it is.. lots of white speckles but we’ll see how it works out. Also some of the grains are rather large.. hope this won’t be an issue for a couple wrasses that I wanna keep.

Anyways.. I’m gonna look up how much ammonia to add and then I’m gonna add some Bio Spira to help along the cycle. I used this stuff last time for my nano and it really sped up the process. Hoping for the same outcome this time around.

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. If I plan to add established rock to this tank once the nano is broke down, how do I go about doing the cycle? Should I just fishless cycle it now with ammonia and then after the cycle is done add the established rock in?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is underway... I dosed Ace Janitorial Ammonia a couple days ago then added a bottle of BioSpira. Surprisingly i already have readings across the board As of today my readings are
Ammo 8ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Seems a little high after only a few days but I’m happy it’s started already.

I still haven’t done my plumbing yet as I’m waiting for a couple pieces to get to me so I’m hoping that comes in this week

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this picture up on another plumbing thread I have going on but I figure I’d also share this on my build page. Here’s my dry fitting for my plumbing so far...
dc260168fbce62f66124421abd6fe709.jpg
what do ya guys think?

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far! I like the plumbing. I think I missed it, what pump are you using? I see you have a Tee built into the supply line, for a reactor I assume or just for future expansion purposes? Depending on the purpose of the Tee, you might want to consider putting the tee first and then the ball valve on the supply line and adding one onto the other line off of the tee. That way you can control each line separately instead of controlling just the pump outflow. Hope that makes sense?

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Neptune COR-15. Yes the tee is there for any future expansions but I’m still up in the air about it. I dont want it to be too cluttered. I was going to attach a ball valve on the other side of the Tee so I could control the flow going to any reactor(s). Or I might just cut out the Tee all together and just straight pipe it. Still undecided

Zack33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the Neptune COR-15. Yes the tee is there for any future expansions but I’m still up in the air about it. I dont want it to be too cluttered. I was going to attach a ball valve on the other side of the Tee so I could control the flow going to any reactor(s). Or I might just cut out the Tee all together and just straight pipe it. Still undecided

I always think it is a good idea to plan for an expansion, so I'd leave the tee in there and just add the ball valve in after the tee like you said. Ultimately for now you can just put in a threaded cap so it is easy to remove and be done with it for now, without even having to install the ball valve until you decide what yo want to do to finally. That is just my opinion though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back