Dead Zoas?

imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
backstory- my tank had too much flow, so I decided to rescape the rock-work. My tank is fairly new, and I just added Zoas. Reason why I rescaped is cause they haven’t opened in over 24 hours. I took the rock they were on out and now they look like the image below. Are they dead or just stressed, as I’ve heard things about zoas staying out of water for hours. Any help is appreciated:)
C7BCA58F-5668-4350-9692-017E87548735.jpeg

ZoaLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definately alive and probably just a bit stressed, zoas can be out of water for hours and be fine they'll probably just take a day or two to reopen, they are just closed up for now. If the polyps are visible they aren't dead, also it could be because the amount of light they are getting so if they don't reopen try placing them on different levels to see where they open up best. For now leave it for a couple days and they should open :)

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are probably stressed a bit. Leave them be for a bit and they should be ok. Zoas are pretty resilient from my experience. If they still feel plump they are alive. When they die they either melt all together or when u press on them they are very mushy.

OP
OP
imarino326

imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are definately alive and probably just a bit stressed, zoas can be out of water for hours and be fine they'll probably just take a day or two to reopen, they are just closed up for now. If the polyps are visible they aren't dead, also it could be because the amount of light they are getting so if they don't reopen try placing them on different levels to see where they open up best. For now leave it for a couple days and they should open :)
I got them yesterday and they didn’t open today. Is that normal too?

OP
OP
imarino326

imarino326

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably stressed a bit. Leave them be for a bit and they should be ok. Zoas are pretty resilient from my experience. If they still feel plump they are alive. When they die they either melt all together or when u press on them they are very mushy.
How much light should I be giving them?

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They r just getting use to new environment. Start them lower in the tank and see if they open for you. If they start to stretch after a while they may need more light . Zoas can be placed all over a tank.I usually place them on the sand bed then slowly raise them to desired location over a few weeks.I do know most times they like pretty moderate flow so debris doesn’t build up between the polyps.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They r just getting use to new environment. Start them lower in the tank and see if they open for you. If they start to stretch after a while they may need more light . Zoas can be placed all over a tank.I usually place them on the sand bed then slowly raise them to desired location over a few weeks.I do know most times they like pretty moderate flow so debris doesn’t build up between the polyps.

ZoaLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them yesterday and they didn’t open today. Is that normal too?
Yeah that's completely normal they take a day or two to open up, also I've had zoas thatve been closed for days and weeks at some point and they open up fine when moved for reasons such as needing more light don't stress at all it'll be good

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back