Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I believe that blowing the rocks daily allowed my tank’s uv to assist in the removal process of my amphidinium.
That's good to know. I know the shape of amphidinium allows it to almost suction itself to sand and rocks but if you can assist it's release, then yes UV would benefit.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. I know the shape of amphidinium allows it to almost suction itself to sand and rocks but if you can assist it's release, then yes UV would benefit.
It certainly liked the sand. But I also found amphidium on just about any surface area I sampled including rocks and gha. Reeferfoxx I’ve learned a lot from you during this outbreak so thank you.

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4F72B7CE-6A08-4F64-9748-39634102128D.jpeg
4BAF4428-B25F-4133-B7CA-2CC17FBC1292.jpeg
Can someone help me ID these Dino’s? Sorry for the crappy pics. Also, what is the best treatment for them.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have faith look at pics of my tank. All I did was add uv. Up P and N and wait. Mine was coolia. I’m going filter 5 gal of water and see if I see anymore Dino cells. Might might not. Problem now is nitrate is 60ppm and P is 0.1. So water changes and time to drop it back to reasonable. Nothing is using thePanymore but plenty N being made.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another R2R member, @tenurepro, including myself had success going this route and even made a video about it. Well I didn't make a video but tenurepro did.

Thanks for the shoutout - Been Dino-free since Dec! The battle is winnable, Thanks to this thread.
Cheers and thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my cure with UV lamp for about 2 weeks but had no success than I moved to bleach : in the meantime continued with target feeding and phyto.
Bleach cleared all the strains in about 3 days but after 4/5 days they where back again.

Tanks that have been treated with bleach do not, on average, have the best track record of making a comeback, so be sure to keep us posted!! :)

I'm suggesting the first post to this thread provides enough information to form a plan of action against dinos. That action doesn't involve chemicals or magical bottles of fixes. It's taking the natural route of identifying your dino, understanding what triggered the bloom, and taking action against them.

Only Sun Tzu could have said it better (had he known English)... :p

From Chapter III · Strategic Attack:

知彼知己,百戰不殆;不知彼而知己,一勝一負;不知彼,不知己,每戰必殆
  • It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.

是故百戰百勝,非善之善者也;不戰而屈人之兵,善之善者也。
  • For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Nothing is using thePanymore but plenty N being made.

Could be you've reached another nutrient limit if neither P nor N appear to be getting used up.

Try a trace-element dose (e.g. Brightwell Replenish, others) or water changes to see if you get any noticeable surge in (hopefully) coral growth.

Dunno how into ($) getting answers you are, but a Triton test (or similar) might also be interesting at this phase.

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is now 700! Alk is 8.4. Mag 1400. P 0.1 n 60. Potassium spot on. Iron touch lowiodine ok
No excess trace metals by icp. I’ll do water changes. Ha e not done so in eight months. Just was topping off with rodi.

How can I have ca 700. With alk stable at 8.4? Ph is around 7.9-8.1. Mag isn’t elevated. I was dosing so stopped that. That however was the needed dose before.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is now 700! Alk is 8.4. Mag 1400. P 0.1 n 60. Potassium spot on. Iron touch lowiodine ok
No excess trace metals by icp. I’ll do water changes. Ha e not done so in eight months. Just was topping off with rodi.

How can I have ca 700. With alk stable at 8.4? Ph is around 7.9-8.1. Mag isn’t elevated. I was dosing so stopped that. That however was the needed dose before.
I'd bet test error. I know you are careful, but there are many more ways to get an erroneous measure of 700ppm Ca than there are ways to get that measure for real.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I have ca 700.

I'd bet test error.

I think I agree that if it's a total mystery to you that it's probably an error.

But the upside is that even if it's really 700 ppm, it's not harmful as far as anyone I know has ever observed.

If anything, the side effect most associated with a Ca-overdose is a coral growth spurt.

So IMO don't do anything you weren't already doing.

Maybe make test some fresh saltwater as a sanity check. ;)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
taricha ID on these?
It's hard to see the pointed tips of the sesame seed shaped cell, but it looks like that's because the tips are lighter and the picture is overexposed.
So I think it's ostreopsis.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are some more shots. There is hope. One day I might get some gel filters so i can take better shot but I have a hobby that consumes my money :) I also noticed that during the warmer days my temp was slightly warmer than normal. normally my temp is 78.5 but it has been very hot in Chicago and the temp has risen to 82.0 and I have noticed that the dinos recede even more. Seems like when my water is warmer they recede more. I have noticed this anomaly on several occasions.

t4.jpg

t7.jpg

Back