Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I retested with three kits and all say 700ppm. I'll let it fall for a while. Alk was falling a bit so I increased dosing a little till it falls back down in ca. Not seeing any deposits anywhere on anything so it's staying in solution. pH is stable too.

I noticed some of my coraline turning white and was wondering why....Apatiasa treatment spots! Kills the coraline by ph death. Only noticed when the lights were off and I had regular white lights on in the room. White patches everywhere and then noticed same spot as aptasia was killed. Need to pull back a little and hope the extra ca fills in the spots.

I am thinking of taking the UV off now and see how it goes. Can always turn it back on. Sooo ugly in my tank.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I retested with three kits and all say 700ppm. I'll let it fall for a while. Alk was falling a bit so I increased dosing a little till it falls back down in ca. Not seeing any deposits anywhere on anything so it's staying in solution. pH is stable too.

I noticed some of my coraline turning white and was wondering why....Apatiasa treatment spots! Kills the coraline by ph death. Only noticed when the lights were off and I had regular white lights on in the room. White patches everywhere and then noticed same spot as aptasia was killed. Need to pull back a little and hope the extra ca fills in the spots.

I am thinking of taking the UV off now and see how it goes. Can always turn it back on. Sooo ugly in my tank.
How long did you let your UV run for a couple months?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 months. Still running for few more days. Make sure you keep air out of the unit and clean it weekly.

Forgot. Keep your sand bed top clean. I had to remove mine before I could get control. Have not put it back either. May never.

Wanted to add one other item. While I am running carbon I have not been changing it oftern the last few months as the dinos are in check. HOWEVER, I noticed my water is staying very clear. The UV must break down the colored waste products. I've never had water so clear. That said I may get a small say 5-10W unit to replace the monster fulltime moving forward.

Last edited:

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what this creature is? Seems to have a tail that whips the coolia dinos.
3962823C-39BC-43F6-84A9-9D76324B2657.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on raising nutrients but would it be a good time to also add phytoplankton such as https://www.algaebarn.com/product/oceanmagik-live-phytoplankton/

And pods?
Phyto did nothing for me. Others believe it may be dino food.. Pods are good as long as you have some alive in the tank now new ones should live. I didn’t look at all your old posts but I would add live rock for biodiversity if you used all dead rock. Is the uv working for you?

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phyto did nothing for me. Others believe it may be dino food.. Pods are good as long as you have some alive in the tank now new ones should live. I didn’t look at all your old posts but I would add live rock for biodiversity if you used all dead rock. Is the uv working for you?
Yes Uv is running. I’m hesitant to add live rock because it is fully stocked with corals and fish and would hate to introduce any bad hitchhiker. Since raising nutrients I am definitely seeing pods on the glass. Was thinking of adding this mix of pods to add diversity:
https://www.algaebarn.com/product/5280pods/

Most of my dinos are seein on the sand during the day. Should I be removing sand slowly?

Here are some pics of the state of things: F7DF4B24-DEB4-4D2B-A3C5-D92DF41C0649.jpeg

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Uv is running. I’m hesitant to add live rock because it is fully stocked with corals and fish and would hate to introduce any bad hitchhiker. Since raising nutrients I am definitely seeing pods on the glass. Was thinking of adding this mix of pods to add diversity:

Most of my dinos are seein on the sand during the day. Should I be removing sand slowly?

Here are some pics of the state of things: F7DF4B24-DEB4-4D2B-A3C5-D92DF41C0649.jpeg
Nice tank! My dinos wiped out almost everything, so I’m envious. I had to remov my sandbed, but I had amphidium. If I were you I would vacuum sand weekly but not remove it unless I absolutely had to. Your wrasse might be upset . I’d would also make sure I’m running fresh carbon by changing it weekly. I don’t see your uv. Is it not the the display?

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! My dinos wiped out almost everything, so I’m envious. I had to remov my sandbed, but I had amphidium. If I were you I would vacuum sand weekly but not remove it unless I absolutely had to. Your wrasse might be upset . I’d would also make sure I’m running fresh carbon by changing it weekly. I don’t see your uv. Is it not the the display?
Hi. My UV is in the sump. Is it better to have it running off the display? C330BE3D-0578-4DC9-9B5D-1C591CF3C32D.jpeg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My UV is in the sump. Is it better to have it running off the display? C330BE3D-0578-4DC9-9B5D-1C591CF3C32D.jpeg
I think you’ll see a big improvement running in and out of display. I hate to tell you because it will be an eyesore...I’m doing it now...I’ve read where others saw no improvements in simp but big improvements in DT.

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll see a big improvement running in and out of display. I hate to tell you because it will be an eyesore...I’m doing it now...I’ve read where others saw no improvements in simp but big improvements in DT.
Ok thanks for the tip. Will move it tomorrow

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since raising nutrients I am definitely seeing pods on the glass. Was thinking of adding this mix of pods to add diversity:

These are not the pods you are looking for...
"Each 16oz portion of 5280 Pods contains 5280+ LIVE Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops Copepods ranging from nauplii to adult sizes. "

These are the pods you are looking for...
Pods from floridapets.com
"Lately, we have found that our pod portions have contained mostly amphipods. You will likely also see a few isopods and a few assorted other creatures such as: skeleton shrimp, tiny feather duster worms, small sea squirts small ghost shrimp and other forms of micro fauna."

Renan Isse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys, I've finally managed to have my dinos checked in a microscope. Can you please help me identify what kind of dinoflagellates I have?

178b49e841501776285fc55d8c73f498.jpg
92de9720a9529e1ca3d33f0c75ea33e6.jpg
dde25b538c99d330cfb59b71118f1824.jpg
0c7d55f80e04508016efb9b95a462de9.jpg
dc0528fe33925c6b256d680817a019f0.jpg
814eba5498753542ba921c05de07708b.jpg
962ed50d4af36bcdf35b2a8ddd00771d.jpg

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok rigged up directly from display. Hopefully it will do better here

A18B5517-FE56-46FD-A887-6029A7117C90.jpeg

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok rigged up directly from display. Hopefully it will do better here

A18B5517-FE56-46FD-A887-6029A7117C90.jpeg
These are not the pods you are looking for...
"Each 16oz portion of 5280 Pods contains 5280+ LIVE Tigriopus, Tisbe, and Apocyclops Copepods ranging from nauplii to adult sizes. "

These are the pods you are looking for...
Pods from floridapets.com
"Lately, we have found that our pod portions have contained mostly amphipods. You will likely also see a few isopods and a few assorted other creatures such as: skeleton shrimp, tiny feather duster worms, small sea squirts small ghost shrimp and other forms of micro fauna."
Just curious as to why you are recommending these. Only 100 come in an order and mostly isopods. I have plenty of isopods roaming around at night.

platax88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I’ve been thinking. My problems with dinos started after a few weeks of dosing Red Sea trace elements. Do you think this may have contributed to them? At the moment all I am dosing is alk and cal. And no3, ph4 to gradually raise levels to 10 and .1

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to why you are recommending these. Only 100 come in an order and mostly isopods. I have plenty of isopods roaming around at night.
Good Q. Copepods are just not very effective at eating our problem dinos.
To those who want to catch up on what has been said about copepods (not great) vs dinos and various other micro-grazers...
check these:
Isopods and amphipods better than copepods
Unsung dino grazer hero - ciliates
Weird Tanaid shrimp loves eating amphidinium dinos.
Live phyto + copepods very ineffective vs toxic dinos.

...amphipods and isopods are straight benthic and unaffected by UV. Some copepods may also have life cycle that prefer benthic habit. I've pulled samples of detritus that were thick with copepod nauplii.
UV is one of the most effective tools for direct cell killing of dinos that go into the water at night (every strain except Large Cell Amphidinium)....

Same here. Munnid isopods in my tank also during/after Dino bloom. Seen grazing on dinos here.
3445b586a7f6eb2c70a0cc7e9c47a026.jpg

And I have to say that copepods seem a poor match vs Dinos. Too small, feeding mechanism likely not suited to Dinos, they end up covered in Dino mucus and dead. The below pod was swimming and alive, for a little while anyway.
63d2bb261806d2d26dd849fd84c09230.jpg

Amphipods may be useful too, tough, strong, not picky eaters. But I dunno.

Not claiming miracle cures, just adding to anecdotal evidence. Thanks, rockskimmerflow.
I'm gonna see if I can maybe capture and culture up some munnid isopods.

Hey guys. I’ve been thinking. My problems with dinos started after a few weeks of dosing Red Sea trace elements. Do you think this may have contributed to them? At the moment all I am dosing is alk and cal. And no3, ph4 to gradually raise levels to 10 and .1
yes, definitely. This is what growing up competition algae is about. Increasing competition for trace elements, and therefore making it less available for dinos.

edit: and the people noticing that water changes fuel dinos illustrates same principle.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys, I've finally managed to have my dinos checked in a microscope. Can you please help me identify what kind of dinoflagellates I have?
Amphidinium dinos. The other cells are either diatoms, ciliates, or amphidinium dinos that have been squished by the slide cover (cells at bottom of pics number 4 & 5).

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back