Dinoflagellates – Are You Tired Of Battling Altogether?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking this is amphidium from my tank?

20200727_183614.jpg
20200727_183612.jpg
20200727_183609.jpg
20200727_183407.jpg
20200727_183302.jpg

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott. I got my UV sterilizer but I think my flow is too much ? I have a 20 gallon. I bought the desktop UV sterilizer by IM. It goes in back chamber and uses my return pump for flow through it. I have a lot of flow my return pimp is sice 1.5 (357) gph. It’s an all in one tank so there is very little travel reducing the gph. Is this too fast of flow through my UV? I’ve had it running for 3 days and considering my lights have been on for over a week this is the best I’ve seen it in almost 2 months. I think I may finally be getting a handle thanks to you and everyone’s advice.
Funny thing you mentioned - don’t dose bacteria like vibrant for a new unstable tank. That’s exactly what I believe killed all my fish when trying to fix Dino’s with microbactor 7. Thankfully the fish store refunded everything. I currently have my light reduced to only 40 percent blues right now to help them from reproducing. I’m just wondering if I need to reduce flow on return pump for longer UV exposure like you mentioned.

1DD7F3DD-63A6-4C5A-AD2D-D6AB875018DD.jpeg 13290A18-631E-4D98-9982-B4722CD1B7D1.jpeg 0052EB99-F21D-47AA-88E1-60D1088DD536.jpeg

I have the same tank, pump, and UV sterilizer lol. The sicce has adjustable flow. I turned the knob in the front to reduce flow so water can pass through the UV slower. I did my best with getting ostreopsis dinos into the water column, Turkey basting every night. Took some time but it worked. Wasn’t an immediate change after 1 day type of ordeal.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same tank, pump, and UV sterilizer lol. The sicce has adjustable flow. I turned the knob in the front to reduce flow so water can pass through the UV slower. I did my best with getting ostreopsis dinos into the water column, Turkey basting every night. Took some time but it worked. Wasn’t an immediate change after 1 day type of ordeal.
I really appreciate your reply. It’s nice to know someone with the same tank haha. I haven’t adjusted the flow but I’m going to like you mention. I’m actually seeing a slow decrease. I was expecting it to be quicker good to know it wasn’t immediate. How long did it take you ?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also leaning toward ostreopsis. Describe the movements they made. Did they radom swing/swim around a central "tether" point? Or more like bumper-car movement?
They didn't move at all because my tank reached 90f that day lol. Nothing died except perhaps the dinos. But too early to tell.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate your reply. It’s nice to know someone with the same tank haha. I haven’t adjusted the flow but I’m going to like you mention. I’m actually seeing a slow decrease. I was expecting it to be quicker good to know it wasn’t immediate. How long did it take you ?

Took about two weeks or so. I started dosing nitrate / phosphate and running UV 24/7, but they stuck around for a little. Near the end, I tried to aide the situation with filter media gunk from a mature tank, which I just dropped into a filter sock. Pretty soon ostreopsis dinos started to disappear. Didn't have to change lighting schedule or intensity (infact intensity was going up since I was acclimating corals). But yeah, takes time.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took about two weeks or so. I started dosing nitrate / phosphate and running UV 24/7, but they stuck around for a little. Near the end, I tried to aide the situation with filter media gunk from a mature tank, which I just dropped into a filter sock. Pretty soon ostreopsis dinos started to disappear. Didn't have to change lighting schedule or intensity (infact intensity was going up since I was acclimating corals). But yeah, takes time.
Do you still run your UV? I’m thinking about keeping it running 24/7 even after the Dino’s go away. My tank is so clear now.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still run your UV? I’m thinking about keeping it running 24/7 even after the Dino’s go away. My tank is so clear now.

Yup it's still running right now. In a month, I will switch to a schedule with lights on at night. I think UV limits spread of coralline algae. ARC reef recommends to not run UV when you first add the spores.

Squawk1200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I thought I had dino’s, but a bought a microscope and it looks like some sort of algae. Any ideas as to what it is and how to kill it?
164A9885-1150-47CD-938C-33AAEBF34FE4.jpeg
0DC8A44E-6907-4CBA-933C-27951EDB9138.jpeg
57D13423-6051-46FB-A6B3-193AB5097C79.jpeg
0DC8A44E-6907-4CBA-933C-27951EDB9138.jpeg
9CB6BCAF-13C2-4911-A547-2DFDFDCA1142.jpeg
164A9885-1150-47CD-938C-33AAEBF34FE4.jpeg

LOWRY_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone confirm this is prorocentrum?
MY PLAN

i have tried the temp increase above 83. I have been dosing MB7 and 460 and waste away no real change. FINALLy my nutrients are up~~~Today they measured 0.177ppm Phosphate and then 20 Nitrates.

So basically I went kind a nuclear on my tank and I dumped all of my zillionth it's basically all my corals in hydrogen peroxide to kill all the algae on them and then rinsed and fresh water and then suction the cop crap out of everything and dumped most of the rock. It's only a 4 gallon pico so I have that luxury, I siphoned the sand I scrape the sides and Did a water change through a 10 µ sock but dump the water back in twice. Fisher completely ticked probably lost every single coral which includes about 12 those in a canA baby hammer a mystic Montipora and a red Monti cap. NOW I am covering it airating it with an airstone and dosing dr tim refresh for 3 days then back to the waste away ~LETS pray.

I have added 3 bottles of copepods in the 2 months I have had the tank it was started with :R and LS but tooo clean a nd I had a baby refugium on the back. I changed the GAC today and threw in some pinky floss to try to catch the HOB ref is gone and has been for a month. I have an algae that comes off easy with a brush and looks like Green ( in tank looks brownish somethiish but out of tank its green.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also leaning toward ostreopsis. Describe the movements they made. Did they radom swing/swim around a central "tether" point? Or more like bumper-car movement?
I started doing water changes again and had to stop since by the 3rd water change i started seeing some dinos on a frag rack. Checked unddr microscope and yep its ostreopsis again. Strange too since im still running UV and phosphates have been readable even though they are swinging alot.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing water changes again and had to stop since by the 3rd water change i started seeing some dinos on a frag rack. Checked unddr microscope and yep its ostreopsis again. Strange too since im still running UV and phosphates have been readable even though they are swinging alot.
I'd still call that progress (3 WCs) so stay the course. Maybe space out the ECs more, or do smaller ones. How are you doing with getting some algae in the system like green film algae?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still call that progress (3 WCs) so stay the course. Maybe space out the ECs more, or do smaller ones. How are you doing with getting some algae in the system like green film algae?
Yea theres tons of pods that i can see and theres some film algae and lots of turf and hair algae growing now, my CUC cant keep up from what i see. Was thinking of getting a sea hare.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea theres tons of pods that i can see and theres some film algae and lots of turf and hair algae growing now, my CUC cant keep up from what i see. Was thinking of getting a sea hare.
If you can buy a sea hare from someone who will give some store credit on return go for it. They leave a trail of poo but do their job until they run out of stuff.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have some success with Dino’s. I have eliminated it about 95%
I have been doseing sodium nitrate, and potassium phosphate. My levels as of now are 75ppb phosphate and 20 ppm nitrates. I’m seeing coralline algae taking off and seeing green algae for the first time in months. But my corals are still crappy looking and dieing. The birdsnests have almost completely died . I’m hoping a few polyps will survive. My acropora look better. My Beloved montipora are so stressed . But I’m optimistic that most or peace’s of all will survive.
the bad news red cyano is appearing. And I have to figure out a sustained dosage of phosphate and nitrates. Hopefully it won’t be a roller coaster.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK boys and girls, while I wait on Amazon to deliver my microscope... Hoping for a visual ID of the situation below. Video 1 is this morning and 2nd video is from 30 minutea ago.

Parameters:
SG - 1.026
Ph - 8.2
Alk - 8.7
PO4 - 0.01ppm on Hanna ULR
NO3 - 2ppm on Red Sea.

I dose approx 0.04ppm of PO4 and 1ppm NO3 every twice a week.

This popped up a week after I ran chemiclean to kill cyano... Which popped up after I hit GHA with fluconozole. Tank is 8 months old or so. Currently syphoning sandbed weekly, 15% WC, running carbon and floss in media cups, and have a jebao UV plumbed into the return/sump.

I have a feeling I know what this is (thus why I'm here) but I guess I'm hoping to hear that it's not Dino. ;Dead

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going from 78 to 81 degrees has made a huge impact on the ostreopsis I've had in my system now for the past 5 years. It's been 5 days now and very little is still visible.

When I first heard of elevating temperature having an impact on them, I was truly skeptical.

The only other thing that has changed in my system was recently i added a 56 gallon column as a frag tank plumbed into the sump.

Water changes as others have stated would cause them to get worse. You would think that adding 56 gallons of fresh saltwater would have done this, but no. The addition was just a few days ago. Temperature elevation was done before this and each day seemed to help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back