Dinoflagellates my experience......h2o2 reefing tool!!!!!

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 2 and wow has it cleared up my glass and water! I usually have to clean my glass 1-2 a day and I haven't cleaned it yet since dosing. I've never seen my water so clear either. Too soon to tell if it's having any impact on the dinos (if that's what I have) on my rocks and sand, but the effect on my glass and water is worth it already. How long is the recommended treatment length?

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used hydrogen peroxide in cichlid tanks for algae. Have always used a turkey baster to apply. Loaches and plecos did not tolerate at all. Had to remove them first. Learned this from a guy as a way to kill string algae in a koi pond.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone willing to confirm or deny whether this is Dino's?

H2O2 had no effect when I tried the standard treatment a little while ago.

Have not tried stump remover to boost nitrate — anyone vote for that?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1468938268.821395.jpg

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can neither confirm or deny dinoflagellates but I would say there is a 50 50 chance it is

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does dosing hydrogen peroxide at this concentration (1 ml per 10 gal 2x day) affect pods?

jje2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aaaaaaarrrrrrr just wanted to share my recent battle and how i won!!!!!!!!!
"i wish i took pics but i didn't..:("
so about 3 weeks ago my tank broke out pretty bad i mean bad!!!!!! my coast to coast overflow would get plugged and almost overflow my tank..... so i did my research and found numerous methods and even asked advice from top dogs like sunnyx and Mark Poletti who both recommended light's out for 3 days and raise my ph...so i tried this on 3 different occasions no luck!!!!:( getting ready to put a hammer through my tank i kept on looking for more info and trying to figure out why it happened.... it could have been one of 3 things...
#1 microbacter 7 od.
#2 vodka od.
#3 my ro membrane.....
im really leaning towards number 3 since i just replaced my membrane like 2 weeks before this happened.... i have a kent hi-s unit and the membrane was like 115$ to replace..arrrr so i searched around and found air water ice sold cheap ones for like 35$... keep in mind i have the hi-s meaning silicate removal.... i bought el cheapo membrane that didn't have the silicate removal or what ever the kent has."dino's love silicates".. then my problems arose... so after trying numerous things and never found anything that would kill the suckers off, i talked to a local biologist in my local club...."he recommends hydrogen peroxide 1ml per 10gallons of water daily" so i give that a shot "scared" i have a full blown sps reef, i dose .5ml per gallon on the first day... day 2 no change, so i do the recommended dose and wake up day 3 and the tank looks better.... after 5 days of dosing h202 my tank is clean again "yeah!!!!!!" i went ahead and dosed it for 7 days to make sure they don't come back lol.... i must say since adding the h202 over 9 days ago i have not had to wipe the glass once it stills sparkles!!!!! hmmmmmm got me wandering if i should dose a couple ml per day for ever lol..... thought's anyone????
What brand/% h202 did you use?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This method does not work on all species of dinoflagellates

And generally one should not have to go more than a few days into the treatment before seeing some results and knowing whether it is working, right? (A full treatment isn't required to see evidence that it's working, in other words. Right?)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And generally one should not have to go more than a few days into the treatment before seeing some results and knowing whether it is working, right? (A full treatment isn't required to see evidence that it's working, in other words. Right?)
This is correct. Dinoflagellates are sensitive and I can kill a whole culture in less than 4 hours with what I am testing.
So yes it doesn't take long.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does dosing hydrogen peroxide at this concentration (1 ml per 10 gal 2x day) affect pods?

It has proven to be pretty safe, but it should still be presumed to be stressful (and potentially lethal) to anything green/photosynthetic! (That's the goal, after all!)

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is correct. Dinoflagellates are sensitive and I can kill a whole culture in less than 4 hours with what I am testing.

You got another method in the works twilliard?

After the 3-day metro regiment didn't prevent reinfestation, I was thinking of dosing h2o2 again, combined with blowing the rocks and sand every night, changing filter socks every day, and adding pods. Just trying to kill/remove as many as possible and introduce biological competition. What kind of pods should I get?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got another method in the works twilliard?

After the 3-day metro regiment didn't prevent reinfestation, I was thinking of dosing h2o2 again, combined with blowing the rocks and sand every night, changing filter socks every day, and adding pods. Just trying to kill/remove as many as possible and introduce biological competition. What kind of pods should I get?
Let's just say I have not stopped but this one will prove to be interesting ;) (and a lot faster)
I have not studied the pods in depth currently but here is a link to the species name.

http://www.scienceisart.com/dockbook/a2012-09-Sep/a2012-09.html

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He explained it in big words to me that was just gibberish lol.... I found a article about it online somewhere I'll post it if I can find it.. It didn't refer to our tanks but to dinos and how it affected them...I have uses h2o2 in the past for dipping plugs to kill hair algae and it worked wonders... I missed our last club meeting when Justin credible came and that was all he talked about...h2o2 and all the good it does for our tanks... Wish I went..:(

Twoods84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do I need to turn the lights out when doing this method

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back