Do I need extra equipment for RODI?

wantednca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends,

Brand New to the hobby. Yes I already love it! Before I started I had a RO system in my home. This is what I currently have. Do I need to purchase one of those other RODI systems? It sure seems like what I currently have has everything sediment, carbon, post filter and membrane. It's kinda hard to see but this is what I have. Hello save your new friend arrival money please ha ha

Thank you so in advance

PXL_20230801_015222280.jpg PXL_20230801_015157501.MP.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to see what you have there, but looks like you could just add a cpl DI resin filters to your current mix.
prob need some new carbon blocks and its noce to have a TDS meter so know when it time to swap out the filters. a pressure gauge is nice also needed no but insures one has the correct PSI.

also keep in mine its not the best to drink RODI so add a bypass if your using that for drinking water.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you Devaji. That helps a lot and that not very difficult for my plumber to do. Notice how I said my plumber I'm not breaking anything ha ha
it's all pretty easy with the push connect fitting from BRS and others.

sometimes when you add that the do dads its almost cheaper to get a unit just for reefing. but I hear ya man its not a cheap hobby for sure.

also look in your area for people getting out of the hobby one can score some nice gear for a good price.

happy reefing!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you Devaji. That helps a lot and that not very difficult for my plumber to do. Notice how I said my plumber I'm not breaking anything ha ha
It looks like you have a second cartridge on top which could be a remineralization cartridge, which you will want to by-pass if you are add a DI filter. That cartridge actually adds back minerals so the water tastes better but will just be more things the DI will have to take out. It looks like you have 3 filters before the RO membrane so the normal setup is the first is a sediment filter and the other 2 are carbon block filters. Also you should invest in a TDS handheld so you can take readings of your tap water and a reading after the RO membrane so you can see how efficient your RO membrane is. Most current day membranes are around 98% efficient, so they take out 98% of the tds from the tap water, the rest is handled by the DI filter.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends,

Brand New to the hobby. Yes I already love it! Before I started I had a RO system in my home. This is what I currently have. Do I need to purchase one of those other RODI systems? It sure seems like what I currently have has everything sediment, carbon, post filter and membrane. It's kinda hard to see but this is what I have. Hello save your new friend arrival money please ha ha

Thank you so in advance

PXL_20230801_015222280.jpg PXL_20230801_015157501.MP.jpg
I cant see either. I got the basic rodi that hooks to my sink from bulk reef supply!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you absolutely need the DI part, or Deionization filter to make your saltwater. Like others have said, a full RODI system is not good for drinking, as it tastes like less than nothing....you can get bypass valves etc from BRS, but I recommend getting a whole other RODI system just for your tank.

OP
OP
wantednca

wantednca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. That is the route I'll be going for sure. Just makes the most sense

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a second cartridge on top which could be a remineralization cartridge, which you will want to by-pass if you are add a DI filter. That cartridge actually adds back minerals so the water tastes better but will just be more things the DI will have to take out. It looks like you have 3 filters before the RO membrane so the normal setup is the first is a sediment filter and the other 2 are carbon block filters. Also you should invest in a TDS handheld so you can take readings of your tap water and a reading after the RO membrane so you can see how efficient your RO membrane is. Most current day membranes are around 98% efficient, so they take out 98% of the tds from the tap water, the rest is handled by the DI filter.
Probably a final carbon stage for taste

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would just tee off after the membrane and and add 2 di cartridges. You could do one but I like to have two so when the first is depleted your still getting zero TDS thanks to the second one. When the first is depleted I move the second one there and add fresh resin to the second canister.
My Gal still thinks I bought the RO system for her so she could have good drinking water :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put one in the cart a brs thank you so much
just FYI there will be huges sales come BF/CM not that you shpu;d wait that long to do WC. just an FYI.
how big is your tank?

If it were me I would just tee off after the membrane and and add 2 di cartridges. You could do one but I like to have two so when the first is depleted your still getting zero TDS thanks to the second one. When the first is depleted I move the second one there and add fresh resin to the second canister.
My Gal still thinks I bought the RO system for her so she could have good drinking water :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
dont worry we will not tell her.
Be Quiet Season 2 GIF by Martin

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back