Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since getting into the hobby I have been wondering how many of us fish keepers do -- or not eat fish.

I have been a pescatarian for the last 7 years. IE, a diet with fish but no meat consumption.
This because of environmental, ethical and empathical reasoning.
When I started planning my first tank / watched Seaspircacy, I became a full vegetarian.
I guess I was too distanced away from fishes to really think my own hypocrisy through.

(But then again, having fish / corals myself is (perhaps) another irony itself. It never ends haha.)

I'm really interested what stand / opinion the R2R population has towards the subject.
Feel free to elaborate your view.
There is no wrong or right answer. This thread isn't about projecting <x> views / ideology on <y>.
Everyone does what everyone does.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even eat the fish that jump out of my tank. That way I am a successful aquaculturist instead of a failed aquarist

If humans ate all the animals an earth, there would still be oxygen and we would live.
If humans ate all the plants on earth, us and everything else would die and the world would be barren.
Eat more animals.
Only cannibals that eat other humans can claim ethical purity in all cases.

The little dried up fish arent bad on pizza. Just like anchovies.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad experience.

We went deep sea fishing and caught a bunch of fish. My genius friend decided to cut the head off a fish. He failed at doing so and only managed to mutilate and torture the fish for a good 5 minutes before I ended it. I have 100% over dramatized it in my head over the last 5ish years but to this day I can't look at fish the same way. I had a fish taco from a place I used to love about 2 years ago and it made me sick. I am broken.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even eat the fish that jump out of my tank. That way I am a successful aquaculturist instead of a failed aquarist

If humans ate all the animals an earth, there would still be oxygen and we would live.
If humans ate all the plants on earth, us and everything else would die and the world would be barren.
Eat more animals.

Haha exactly, worry about deforestation over animal extinction.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eat more animals.

Do you eat the bristle worms to? Lol

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No allergic, and they stick in the throat.
When ever I feel bad I let the crab eat a little of me.
IMG_3578_HEIC-M.jpg

OP
OP
M

meta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad experience.

We went deep sea fishing and caught a bunch of fish. My genius friend decided to cut the head off a fish. He failed at doing so and only managed to mutilate and torture the fish for a good 5 minutes before I ended it. I have 100% over dramatized it in my head over the last 5ish years but to this day I can't look at fish the same way. I had a fish taco from a place I used to love about 2 years ago and it made me sick. I am broken.
That sucks to hear. If you ever would like to talk about it, feel free to PM me.

And to be clear. I mean no disrespect to people who choose to eat or not eat some things.
We all have our reasons.
Exactly, everyone has its reasons -- and that's oke.
Out of interest: what is yours?

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't eat fish fish, but I do enjoy my inverts. I grew up in MD and had my first blue crab at like 1 year old... Also love scallops and shrimp.

Is it weird that whenever Hubby and I made shrimp scampi we always save a shrimp pre cook to share with Petey the puffer?

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to like and eat fish. I keep live ones in my basement and eat ones from the market.
I am also allergic to shellfish. I have had reactions to shrimp, lobster, clams and scallops. That started when I was 9 and we were at the beach fishing and my eyes swelled shut. We were using shrimp as bait but my father blamed my brother who was smoking a cigar for it.

I am allergic to LRS and mysis shrimp but am okay if I wash right away after touching it.

I also dont like brussels sprouts or cilantro which is supposed to be some sort of genetic thing.

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to like and eat fish. I keep live ones in my basement and eat ones from the market.
I am also allergic to shellfish. I have had reactions to shrimp, lobster, clams and scallops. That started when I was 9 and we were at the beach fishing and my eyes swelled shut. We were using shrimp as bait but my father blamed my brother who was smoking a cigar for it.

I am allergic to LRS and mysis shrimp but am okay if I wash right away after touching it.
Does handing reef CUC give you similar reactions to fishing with shrimp bait/touching mysis? Or like, having hands in the tank

My grandma was SUPER allergic to shellfish and couldn't even be in the same room if someone was preparing any shellfish.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eat sardines, tuna, salmon, bronzini, and redsnapper. I really enjoy fish because of the taste, omega 3, and protein.

Back