Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So let's say that a Reefing "Super Power" is something you do really well or know really well when it comes to keeping saltwater reef aquariums. It's a reefing special skill, area of expertise or the ability to grow coral like nobody else. It could be that you're awesome at fish disease diagnosis and treatment. It could be that you know aquarium lighting more than the average hobbyists. It could be many, many things. Let's talk about it today!

1. What is your reefing "Super Power?"

2. What reefing super power do you wish you had?

super power.jpg

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is killing nuisance algae.
I have had Dinos, bryopsis, green hair, brown hair, cyano, and bubble algea and have never once had any issues getting rid of them. I normally just change flow patterns, lighting, or the temp and it goes away by itself after a month. Right now I'm fighting a small bout of green hair in my new tank. And after a WC and a toothbrush scrubbing, it hasn't really come back. Makes tank keeping that much more relaxing.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had Dinos, bryopsis, green hair, brown hair, cyano, and bubble algea and have never once had any issues getting rid of them. I normally just change flow patterns, lighting, or the temp and it goes away by itself after a month. Right now I'm fighting a small bout of green hair in my new tank. And after a WC and a toothbrush scrubbing, it hasn't really come back. Makes tank keeping that much more relaxing.
that sounds pretty cool, sir!

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say doing research is my (reefing) super power.
I did research for around 3 years before starting this hobby. I'm still spending a lot of my time on researching everything related to the hobby. I have obtained a lot of base knowledge, so when I need the information I don't need to start at the bottom. Obviously there is still a lot I don't know and it's pretty much impossible to research everything. But I do know a lot of good sources (like R2R!) where I can get my information from when I need it.

I wish I had the super power to take better care of SPS. Right now about 50/50 survive past 1 year, and that's too low for me to keep SPS. I would love to keep more SPS, but only when I'm sure they survive. So for now I will stick to researching SPS, before trying them again ;)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Very interesting! Should we call you "Algae Decimation Man?"

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say doing research is my (reefing) super power.
I did research for around 3 years before starting this hobby. I'm still spending a lot of my time on researching everything related to the hobby. I have obtained a lot of base knowledge, so when I need the information I don't need to start at the bottom. Obviously there is still a lot I don't know and it's pretty much impossible to research everything. But I do know a lot of good sources (like R2R!) where I can get my information from when I need it.

I wish I had the super power to take better care of SPS. Right now about 50/50 survive past 1 year, and that's too low for me to keep SPS. I would love to keep more SPS, but only when I'm sure they survive. So for now I will stick to researching SPS, before trying them again ;)

Awesome! Knowledge IS POWER!

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's say that a Reefing "Super Power" is something you do really well or know really well when it comes to keeping saltwater reef aquariums. It's a reefing special skill, area of expertise or the ability to grow coral like nobody else. It could be that you're awesome at fish disease diagnosis and treatment. It could be that you know aquarium lighting more than the average hobbyists. It could be many, many things. Let's talk about it today!

super power.jpg
Stability is power

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptaisia growing.

But for real, It’s not a “superpower” however,
1. I would say knowing how to care for and identifying most fish is one thing I know. I especially know the scientific names of the common families of fish that are brought into the hobby.
However, for the most part it’s learning. How are you ever going to know if it will work without trial and error (Or Atleast keep similar care level fish, for example my dream fish is the Choati leopard wrasse, my plan is to own leopards and begin with a Blue star for 2-3 years then go with a black and see how I cope for 2-3 years AND THEN drop the bomb and try a choati)
2. Reef safe with caution in, reef safe out the window.
I have had better luck with RSWC fish than I have had with Reef Safe fish, I have 4 RSWC fish (CBB, Radiant & Jade wrasses, Foxface) and have owned 7-8, all of them were reef safe but then my true “ReEf SaFe” fish have been coral nippers. - Even a coral beauty was better behaved than my scopas tang ever was

Last edited:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

super power.jpg
1. I have the ability to stare the aquarium without actually noticing somebody walked into the room.

2. Point and kill superpower I would need for hitchhiker control. ;)

cocoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote yes
I have the ability to get tangs that dont ever fight each other. Ive added 3 zebrasoma all at different times (years between) and even just added an “aggresive” powder blue tang that was returned to a fish shop due to fighting other tangs. Once a tang is in my system its a chill model citizen. Have 5 now, 2 new this year, 2 from over 10 years ago, one from somewhere between
If i could have another super power it would be a bottomless wallet......

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i could have another super power it would be a bottomless wallet......
V when you enter the hobby and get a cheap fish then start getting trapped and going into a chain of expensive fish

Back