Does this look like mold or something? Rodi storage container.

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remake all of this water for my new tank? I have these barrels in my basement and I’ve been making water but it’s been cool the whole time it’s been in the barrel. I just went to look at the water and saw these spots on the barrel and some are underneath the water line. Would it be bad to use this water? It is 0 tds and brand new water but idk
What would be the best way to clean rodi storage like this?

1AD0960A-721A-49F0-803F-4ECB101308E7.jpeg D03A881D-CD18-44C6-8F08-EB2EE895F4AA.jpeg E4973BA7-13A9-43CF-9086-3C9821B36150.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remake all of this water for my new tank? I have these barrels in my basement and I’ve been making water but it’s been cool the whole time it’s been in the barrel. I just went to look at the water and saw these spots on the barrel and some are underneath the water line. Would it be bad to use this water? It is 0 tds and brand new water but idk
What would be the best way to clean rodi storage like this?

1AD0960A-721A-49F0-803F-4ECB101308E7.jpeg D03A881D-CD18-44C6-8F08-EB2EE895F4AA.jpeg E4973BA7-13A9-43CF-9086-3C9821B36150.jpeg
think you are right about it being mold

Would you drink it or serve to others at a party, if its fresh RODI water? If not, then why should your reef... Saltwater is cheap compared to possible reactions... why take a chance?

Reminds me of checking old fridge food containers, asking: can I eat this... result: food poisoning ... lol

You can use a light bleach solution to clean but then rinse, rinse, rinse with tap and dry completely (I use lint free towel) before adding more RO water to make saltwater ... OR try just cleaning with tap, wiping out and setting in sun

I'll defer to other as likely a number of opinions for this

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think you are right about it being mold

Would you drink it or serve to others at a party, if its fresh RODI water? If not, then why should your reef... Saltwater is cheap compared to possible reactions... why take a chance?

Reminds me of checking old fridge food containers, asking: can I eat this... result: food poisoning ... lol

You can use a light bleach solution to clean but then rinse, rinse, rinse with tap and dry completely (I use lint free towel) before adding more RO water to make saltwater ... OR try just cleaning with tap, wiping out and setting in sun

I'll defer to other as likely a number of opinions for this
dang, that sucks, I guess I have to buy a new one and clean this one later... don't really wanna do that now. but thank you for your input, I definitely don't wanna use this contaminated water for a brand new tank.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use it without concern. I’ve never heard of freshwater mold of that sort contaminating salt. Especially considering that is above the water. But that’s just my 2c and it’s worth what you paid for it. ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back