OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build. Is that a Bella goby in there? Any issues with him making it rain sand?

I have a diamond, gold head and bella goby. The gold head and bella love to grab sand and drop it over everything. It's annoying for sure but they are great at keeping the sand clean so I just blown off sand from my corals when I see it. Give and take I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free chaeto to any locals.... lol.

20200107_065242.jpg
20200107_065254.jpg

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating on throwing 2x maxspect XF-250s into my tank. Wonder how these would compare to a pair of my MP60s and mp40s. I run all vortechs at 40%.

Anyone have any personal experience with both? Looking at my rockscape, which do you think would be better?

20200127_131423.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both and I prefer Ecotech. The gyres have to be cleaned routinely and if they are not I would say they lose 50% of there flow. It’s a significant decrease. I run a canopy now so cords do not bother me nearly as much as they would if you was running rimless.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both and I prefer Ecotech. The gyres have to be cleaned routinely and if they are not I would say they lose 50% of there flow. It’s a significant decrease. I run a canopy now so cords do not bother me nearly as much as they would if you was running rimless.

MP60 has cracmed ceramic shaft after 2 months. MP40 has cracked ceramic after 9 months. Cleaned monthly. I'm OCD. Max at 40%. Ecotech making me send old ones before approving warranty replacement. Leaving me down. Irritated. Bad luck I guess. I asked them to send me 2 wet sides first and bill me. Refund me after they decide to warranty. They wont do it. Dumb considering I have live stock ... Kessil does it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Automatic Water Change Setup via DOS.
- Tapped RODI container at the bottom and to feed my auto top off container under tank. Will add float valve tomorrow to make everything fully automated. May add apex solenoid for redundancy.
- Swapped to Fritz RPM Pro (blue box). Parameters are exactly where I like them. Hopefully minimal dosing needed.

20200129_150804.jpg

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than spending a few hundred bucks on device wifi add ons; for example Seneye, webserver + wifi....

I picked this mini computer up for $100. Windows 10 pro, 2gb ram, 32gb storage with optional SD expanded storage. I'll also set it up for remoting in via teamviewer.

Thanks @T-J for the info and suggestion.

20200130_122731.jpg

20200130_123455.jpg

Last edited:

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather than spending a few hundred bucks on device wifi add ons; for example Seneye, webserver + wifi....

I picked this mini computer up for $100. Windows 10 pro, 2gb ram, 32gb storage with optional SD expanded storage. I'll also set it up for remoting in via teamviewer.

Thanks @T-J for the info and suggestion.

20200130_122731.jpg

20200130_123455.jpg
Nice job! Hope it works for you as good as it has been for me.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since starting up the AWC, my parameters have been rock solid. Not drifting more than 5-10. Target = 8.5 alk, 425 calcium, 1340 mag. Love it. You can see the drop off in the middle of the graph. That was when I did my last manual water change and began AWC. Steady after that. Highly recommend.

apex.jpg

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You selling your varios 8

Sold. But wish I kept it. Was too strong... had it on lowest setting but now that I'm running reactors off the manifold... I think it would have worked out well. I prefer the varios pumps. They are awesome. They need a Varios 7. 6 is too small and 8 is too big!

Phi79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, I’m looking to buy the waterbox 220.6 but I am scare with all the thing happen to the rimless tank. I have a Red Sea 350 the side glass got push out a little, how does this hold up for you?

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you still running the COR-20 for return pump? how do you like it?

What made you go with the random flow generators instead of what waterbox sends?

Also how many GPD do you withdraw for AWC? Does it pull from return section?

Have you lost any chromis due to aggression? how many do you have? Tank is looking great

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, I’m looking to buy the waterbox 220.6 but I am scare with all the thing happen to the rimless tank. I have a Red Sea 350 the side glass got push out a little, how does this hold up for you?

No problems with the glass or the stand on the waterbox besides crappy instructions. Red Sea has issues with their stands, which is the main reason for alot of their issues. They sent some retrofit kits to add support to stands. Although I'm not sure which models they were for. I know they had some issues with their glass, just don't know if it was pin pointed to an actual problem or just normal defects/bad luck.

you still running the COR-20 for return pump? how do you like it?

What made you go with the random flow generators instead of what waterbox sends?

Also how many GPD do you withdraw for AWC? Does it pull from return section?

Have you lost any chromis due to aggression? how many do you have? Tank is looking great

Cor20 has been great. No issues. Quiet. Like that I can see stuff on apex fusion. Turn it off as needed on the comp. Good solid pump for this size tank.

The random flow generators that waterbox send suck. Brittle and cheap. I went with the random flow nozzles 3/4 inch. Work out very well. You can also do 1/2 inch if you're running a lower GPH. I run the cor20 at 50% and run a gfo/carbon reactor at 25%. Keeps my tank and skimmer levels perfect.

I am currently doing 3GPD. Now it becomes a game with nitrates/phosphates and how much you feed. When you get it dialed in consistently, that will determine if I can go to 2GPD. I feed heavily and right now my nitrates are 5ish. Phosphates .04. Last few days has been pretty solid at 3GPD. DOS pulls from a hole at the bottom of my salt container in the garage. Puts it in the sump near the return pump. I pull the same amount from the protein skimmer area, and gets sent down the drain.

Started with 15 chromis. 3 Died to normal diseases they are carrying. Still at 12... since putting them in. Has to be about 8 weeks now or so.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed to add an extra level of safety since the only thing stopping my home from flooding 80 gallons of RO is the float valve. So...

I setup the Neptune SV-1 Solenoid and 2x OS-1 Optical Level Sensors in my RO top off.

- RO is gravity fed through a manual shut off valve, through the solenoid, to a float switch. When set water level is reached, float valve cuts off water.
- Lower optical sensor tells me if RO is low.
- Higher optical sensor tells me if RO is high.
- My float valve is set between the RO low and high sensors. RO low should always be "closed". RO HIGH should always be "open".
- I added a Solenoid after my manual shut off valve. I plan to connect my solenoid valve to the RO high level switch. If the high level is activated, then my float switch has failed. I will then have the solenoid shut off the RO.

What im trying to figure out is....

- Can the Neptune Solenoid be setup so it turns ON for an hour a day? This would give my RO container enough time to fill back up, and be stopped by my float valve. I'm trying to avoid having the solenoid on 24/7. When power is applied, the solenoid is open allowing water to flow through. However I touched it, and it's pretty warm. So it's only a matter of time before it will fail, like most of the reviews complain about.

- How do I have the solenoid turn "off" if my RO High is activated (closed)? I'm sure its coding. Feel free to chime in! I'll make a post in the Neptune section as well. Thanks!

20200208_201609.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-202112_Apex Fusion.jpg

20200208_143910.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back