samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dargonetz

What is a sand bed? Just line of sand?

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious.

Well it’s the newer 32 led biocube. Mrainepure bioball. Carbon. And filter. Live rock. Live sand. 4 clowns and a yellow clow goby.(was a test fish) I feed Fresno brine and small amounts of pellets. Brine 2 times a day.

What is a "test fish"....?

Please tell me you didn't add that fish to test parameters. If you want to know whether or not a fish will survive in your tank, there is an easy way to find out, without risking it's life. Use test kits to conduct tests. NOT live fish. Using a fish to test is not only cruel, it is expensive and inconclusive.

Slow down, sir. Your tank is only three weeks old! Fight the urge. Don't add anymore fish anytime soon. If I were you, I wouldn't add anymore ever. With your current fish load, I consider your tank fully stocked already but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we think properly, all animal captivity shouldn’t exist

Birds shouldn’t be in wire cases, fishes shouldn’t be in glass cases, hamsters shouldn’t be in plastic cases, cats and dogs shouldn’t be in small apartments, so... as someone said 2000 years ago, the one who has not a sin throw the first stone

We may be all wrong keeping our fish in captivity even thinking we have them in the best conditions we think we can give them

We all know that the perfect place for fish should be the natural ocean
But unfortunately not even the ocean is a perfect place

So, when I saw Alexx17 posting his question, I said to my self, poor him he is going to be crucified by all older reefers

Because in this year I am in the hobby, I saw this discussion many times

And if we think back in what each one of us made along our hobby experience I bet that we have done something different from what older ones told us

Sometimes because we didn’t believe them, because someone else told us it could be different, some other times because we see someone doing it, but we don’t know for how long.

We all know that we can post a perf And good looking nano reef tank with no sump no skimmer no water changes, but we don’t know for how long that one can keep the tank working, because rarely we see posts with disasters tanks mainly because their owners are to proud to show it

Alexx17 is starting and he will make mistakes and maybe will learn the worst way, like all of us I guess in some moments of our reefing

I think, as good reefers, all old ones should give the advises you are giving and Aless17 will listen and still think your all may be wrong and will try to proof he is right

Life will teach him as life teaches us all

I just wish good luck to his animals and that he makes an effort to accept that if all are saying the same, maybe all are right

Wish u all the best in your reefs

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most interesting thing I have read all day. o_O

Tons of great advice actually. Even though it seems to be floating in space and not considered.

I will say that the first half of the thread is flaming against the tang and OP. Sorry @Alexx17 that you walked into that landmine. Sometimes we all just need to relax a bit and help others rather than thinking "wow they are really ....., save the Tang!" We were all there once (and for some of us this period lasted longer than others) I do believe from the posts that he is trying to set up a tank as best he can, might be getting bad advice from the LFS, and is 18. No offense, but we all have had bad advice from an LFS, and most of us were 18 at some point. Now I am old enough that most of my friends have kids who are 18. For a fact: 18 year olds don't believe anything they didn't think up. They are head strong because of their place in life. I get it. You get it. They don't. They can't until they are older. That's being 18 and one day they will understand, and until that day they will think myself, and many others, are wrong. Maybe we are.

But Alexx, the advice here is genuine. We say things like "get rid of two fish that were really expensive and you love" because we have been there. Its not fun to see your fish bullied and ripped apart (literally) by other fish you love. Fish are mean little buggers in a beautiful but very fragile armor. They die easily. If you think you might have a life long love of reefing then go the easy route for now. Get easy fish, don't overstock, do weekly water changes, and listen when a lot of people give you the same advice. :) Cheers. Your tank looks great and you are OK to ask questions here. We all really do want to help. Sorry again about your bad start into these forums, forums are actually helpful in this hard expensive hobby.

....and have patience..... LOTS of it.....
patience is the hardest part of the hobby
its not logical why things happen for good or bad is the second hardest part of the hobby

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that the first half of the thread is flaming against the tang and OP. Sorry @Alexx17 that you walked into that landmine. Sometimes we all just need to relax a bit and help others rather than thinking "wow they are really ....., save the Tang!" We were all there once (and for some of us this period lasted longer than others) I do believe from the posts that he is trying to set up a tank as best he can, might be getting bad advice from the LFS, and is 18. No offense, but we all have had bad advice from an LFS, and most of us were 18 at some point. Now I am old enough that most of my friends have kids who are 18. For a fact: 18 year olds don't believe anything they didn't think up. They are head strong because of their place in life. I get it. You get it. They don't. They can't until they are older. That's being 18 and one day they will understand, and until that day they will think myself, and many others, are wrong. Maybe we are.

But Alexx, the advice here is genuine. We say things like "get rid of two fish that were really expensive and you love" because we have been there. Its not fun to see your fish bullied and ripped apart (literally) by other fish you love. Fish are mean little buggers in a beautiful but very fragile armor. They die easily. If you think you might have a life long love of reefing then go the easy route for now. Get easy fish, don't overstock, do weekly water changes, and listen when a lot of people give you the same advice. :) Cheers. Your tank looks great and you are OK to ask questions here. We all really do want to help. Sorry again about your bad start into these forums, forums are actually helpful in this hard expensive hobby.

....and have patience..... LOTS of it.....
patience is the hardest part of the hobby
its not logical why things happen for good or bad is the second hardest part of the hobby

Birds shouldn’t be in wire cases, fishes shouldn’t be in glass cases, hamsters shouldn’t be in plastic cases, cats and dogs shouldn’t be in small apartments, so... as someone said 2000 years ago, the one who has not a sin throw the first stone

We may be all wrong keeping our fish in captivity even thinking we have them in the best conditions we think we can give them

So, when I saw Alexx17 posting his question, I said to my self, poor him he is going to be crucified by all older reefers

And if we think back in what each one of us made along our hobby experience I bet that we have done something different from what older ones told us

Sometimes because we didn’t believe them, because someone else told us it could be different, some other times because we see someone doing it, but we don’t know for how long.

We all know that we can post a perf And good looking nano reef tank with no sump no skimmer no water changes, but we don’t know for how long that one can keep the tank working, because rarely we see posts with disasters tanks mainly because their owners are to proud to show it

Alexx17 is starting and he will make mistakes and maybe will learn the worst way, like all of us I guess in some moments of our reefing

I think, as good reefers, all old ones should give the advises you are giving and Aless17 will listen and still think your all may be wrong and will try to proof he is right

I just wish good luck to his animals and that he makes an effort to accept that if all are saying the same, maybe all are right

Man!! These are honestly the two best posts I've ever read, kinda reminds me of when I first started ( for those of you who remember the clownfish situation) but honestly I've gotta say, I'm berry berry impressed with these two responses!!

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a local reefer post a video on FB of his 40 gallon breeder with TWO Hippo Tangs in it!!!! He certainly isn't new in this hobby, and I can't imagine for the life of me what he's thinking. It's so great you're asking questions and not being an idiot like him! By the look of his profile I'd say he's in his 40's, so in case there was a question, age has nothing to do with having good decisions.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man!! These are honestly the two best posts I've ever read, kinda reminds me of when I first started ( for those of you who remember the clownfish situation) but honestly I've gotta say, I'm berry berry impressed with these two responses!!
I don't recall the "clown fish" situation ;Bookworm. I'm just getting annoyed at the negative comments here and other threads. Lets just help each other rather than being judgemental on what we are doing.. ?? Thanks for understanding!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that with 4 clowns and another fish you're pretty much maxed out on fish in your cube already. I know that's not something you want to hear but I feel you're setting yourself up for failure. Everyone here is trying to help you out and guide you to success. You should sit back and enjoy your clowns as the unique character's they are. Turn your attention to what kinds of coral your going to keep in your set up to make it colourful and go from there. :)

I was just going to say the same thing, lol. The tank is past maxed out already. There's 5 fish that aren't even full grown yet, most likely. That's even too much already. 3 fish would've been the ideal maximum in this tank.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this yoir first tank, aside of the pond? If so, it may have been better to start with a freshwater tank. You can have more fish, they're more forgiving, aren't as expensive, and don't require the same level of dedication. Plus it's a good way to learn the basics of keeping fish.

Your tank MUST cycle before you add fish. That takes a few weeks alone. It needs to build up the necessary biological filtration to handle the fish. Putting all of those fish in at the same time will overwhelm the bio filtration. Fish should be added one at a time so the bio filtration can catch up. So you're going to have to change water out pretty frequently.

There's a thing that goes in the tank, suctioned to the glass, called a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge. It would be wise to put one in your tank. They're about $10 and last a year. It'll monitor ammonia, which is lethal to fish. And being you put all those fish in already, the ammonia will build fast. The bottled bacteria will help the cycling, but don't listen to the claims that say you can add fish right away. It's more of a supplement to the bacteria that will grow naturally.

A lot of people like the IDEA of a saltwater tank, but not many understand what is involved. You should always research the fish before buying them. The local fish store just wants to make money and sell you stuff. So they mostly tell you what you want to hear.

Maybe buy some books, or subscribe to Coral magazine. But be prepared to change lots of water in this situation. The most critical things are to make sure you don't have to much ammonia or nitrite in the tank. They'll kill thw fish fast. Monitor those parameters like a hawk right now.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The OP also sets the tone for his thread. Everyone started in this hobby making mistakes, I definitely have! Ones ability to take advice and learn from others will go a long way in this hobby. He got great advice, no one called him names or was inflammatory, he set that tone. I hope he takes the good advice he's gotten and constructive criticism is not flaming. I'm still unsure if he takes this seriously at all. With that said I believe all the advice that can be given is done.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are trying to start a harem (colony of clownfish), you would probably need a larger tank and a lot more clowns in order to reduce agression.
A successful clown harem can have as few as three fish. As long as there is only one female and one male and any others are neuter, there isn't much aggression.
I was just going to say the same thing, lol. The tank is past maxed out already. There's 5 fish that aren't even full grown yet, most likely. That's even too much already. 3 fish would've been the ideal maximum in this tank.
Without seeing parameters no one can determine whether it is at capacity or not.

Now the op should take a couple week break from adding fish and test frequently to actually see how his tank is handling the bioload and to determine whether his tank, or his skill set can handle more bioload.

However, to his benefit, in a tank that size it can be easier to deal with any parameter hiccups by doing a large water change.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water levels are good 8.4 ph, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ammonia 0. I check every other day or so. Temp stays between 78-79.(I use a inkbird with cobalt accu-therm)

mrkell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very nice clowns. It is a shame they will probably fight, that local fish store did you no favors. See if they will take two back for a store credit, speak with the owner and let them know what you were sold. That way you don't loose awesome fish or money.

I run two 29 gallon cubes, and have 3 fish in each. In one cube I have a mated pair of Maroon and a Gold Flake Maroon, with a neon dottyback. The other tank has a mated black and white Ocellaris and Blood Orange clown also there is a yellow tail damsel. Another thing to remember for the future, is that not every clown will host every type of anemone.

OP
OP
Alexx17

Alexx17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F04A983D-A97D-4E96-A2CD-013D2F2FF822.jpeg
F10A57EF-B555-43A7-A409-32C5F7C4836B.jpeg
Tomorrow will be a week of the fish being in the tank. Yes, I do see a little aggression, but not all the time.(only for 2 seconds) only one of fish looks odd and it’s face is different from the others and one of its bottom fins looks a little rough. (He acts complete normal like everyone else) please be nice. See how the bottom part of his face is back more then the top part?? Non of the others look like this. And he looked this way at the store? Can someone explain what this is please? As I said he looked this way before I got him, so it’s not because there are 4 in the tank. Thanks

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Alex17
Can’t help much about your question regarding the clown’s fish face

Maybe it’s just his way

Now regarding clowns aggressions

I just can report you my experience

I lost a clown fish that jumped off the tank in a violent period

And they can get really violent and in the runs escape they make, they can jump out the tank

And not just in those violent periods, mine jumped out because the shrimp got upset with all the clowns runnings and he run himself against the clown and the clown jumped off and died

I have no protection in my top Tank I don’t know if you have one
But my next tank probably will have

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong - but I think midnight clowns have an orange face a juvenile then it turns to black later.

edit - I read "black" not "back" . sorry about that.

Last edited:

Micro Reef Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is how violent they can get between themselves

And they also have “marital” “ fights “ but those are not as violent as this one

Usually in those “date” fights you see the smallest laying sideways trembling in a submissive position and attitude

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See how the bottom part of his face is back more then the top part?? Non of the others look like this. And he looked this way at the store? Can someone explain what this is please? As I said he looked this way before I got him, so it’s not because there are 4 in the tank. Thanks
Product of poor breeding practices/inbreeding. The most common deformity we as hobbyists will see with poorly bred clownfish is the "bulldog face" where the bottom jaw juts out, just about every lightning maroon clown I see at one of my local fish stores has this facial deformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back