doseing 2 part?

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much do you dose (ml) a day for your system (gal)? I'm just trying to get an Idea how much people are useing. I'm going to start doseing 2 part with doseing pumps soon and want to know if I'm on the right track. If you are useing doseing pumps what is your timers schedule? I now dose seachem cal and alk by hand around 2 tbl spoons a day and that converts to somewhere around 100 ml's of each 2 parts per day, my doesing pumps dose at 1.5 per min so thats running them each 65 mins a day. I was wondering if this sounded right?
I have a 100 gal 35 gal sump/fuge mostly SPS.

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is this liquid form you said you dose 2 tbls that doesn’t equally 100ml, or do you dilute the rest?

OP
OP
youngtimothy

youngtimothy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this liquid form you said you dose 2 tbls that doesn’t equally 100ml, or do you dilute the rest?
useing alk as an example
the 2 tbls is seachem powder (alk), that I think converts to 97. mls of 2 part liquid liquid,(alk) I guess I should have been more clear (im not typing what im thinking)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I used to dose 80mL of Alk/Ca per day in a heavily stocked 50 gal SPS aquarium.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the diy two part. The key to that is to 1) get everything in balance, and 2) then monitor alk and dose equal amounts of calcium and alk when alk drops below the desired level.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beaslbob,

Where do you get your diy two part ingredients?

Epson salts and baking soda are just grocery store items.

Calcium Chloride is ice melter for winter driveways. It also is used to speed the hardening of concrete in winter. Redimix concrete places sell bags of it. Be sure to ask for calcium chloride not the brand name. One company here even had the anhydrous (compare to kent turbo calcium) form which is 94-97%. Brand name was cal-chlor (i think). A 25 pound bag was $8 or so. They asked me what I was using it for and then just gave me a bag at no charge.

Magnesium chloride is also an ice melter but much less common as it costs more. It is also used for dust control in roads and landscaping. But most landscaping firms here have a liquid form.

I found an industrial chemical supplier here that has both calcium chloride and magnesium chloride in 50 pound bags. They have to ship in the magnesium chloride but do not charge for that shipping. To them it is just another bag tossed on the truck as opposed to USP shipping. My first order for 1 50 pound bag of calcium chloride and 1 50 pound bag of magnesium chloride was like $35 total for both including tax. But that has since increased to about $45-50 or so.

A 50 pound bag will last literally decades on my 55g. So I give this stuff away at local frag swaps.

I am also experimenting with mixing the magnesium part with the calcium part. Seems to be working but haven't done that very long at this time anyway.

One of the real shocks with this method was the huge amount of magnesium required to do the initial adjustment. After years of running my 55g was down to 800ppm magnesium. Raising that to 1300ppm required 2-3 pounds of epsom salts. After the initial dose, much smaller amounts are required to maintain that level. The initial calcium/alk adjustments are much smaller. I was a little nervious pouring pounds of epsom salts in the tank, but everything did just fine with no ill effects notices to either fish or corals.

my .02

Last edited:

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im dosing 2 part on my 180g .. 180ml Calcium and 160ml Alk ..

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also experimenting with mixing the magnesium part with the calcium part. Seems to be working but haven't done that very long at this time anyway.
How are you doing this just a 3 to 1 mix or are you custom tailering for your calcium mag load???

JR,

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you doing this just a 3 to 1 mix or are you custom tailering for your calcium mag load???

JR,

For those not familiar with the diy two part, what you do is mix up a gallon of calcium, 2) another of alk (baking soda) and a third gallon of magnesium. Then dose equally calcium and alk when the alk drops down. After using up the gallons of calcium and alk you add 300ml of the magnesium.

So what I did was that when I mixed up my last calcium I added 300ml less water shook that up then added 300ml of the magnesium solution. Seemed to work ok with no precipitate. Fish and corals seem fine and the alk seems to be dropping at the same rate. After a gallon of dosing I'll measure calcium, and magnesium to see what has happened.

I also add a pinch of picking lime (kalk) alk to my top off.

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epson salts and baking soda are just grocery store items.

Calcium Chloride is ice melter for winter driveways. It also is used to speed the hardening of concrete in winter. Redimix concrete places sell bags of it. Be sure to ask for calcium chloride not the brand name. One company here even had the anhydrous (compare to kent turbo calcium) form which is 94-97%. Brand name was cal-chlor (i think). A 25 pound bag was $8 or so. They asked me what I was using it for and then just gave me a bag at no charge.

Magnesium chloride is also an ice melter but much less common as it costs more. It is also used for dust control in roads and landscaping. But most landscaping firms here have a liquid form.

I found an industrial chemical supplier here that has both calcium chloride and magnesium chloride in 50 pound bags. They have to ship in the magnesium chloride but do not charge for that shipping. To them it is just another bag tossed on the truck as opposed to USP shipping. My first order for 1 50 pound bag of calcium chloride and 1 50 pound bag of magnesium chloride was like $35 total for both including tax. But that has since increased to about $45-50 or so.

A 50 pound bag will last literally decades on my 55g. So I give this stuff away at local frag swaps.

One of the real shocks with this method was the huge amount of magnesium required to do the initial adjustment. After years of running my 55g was down to 800ppm magnesium. Raising that to 1300ppm required 2-3 pounds of epsom salts. After the ninitial dose much smaller amounts are required to maintain that level. The initial calcium/alk adjustments are much smaller. I was a little nervious pouring pounds of epsom salts in the tank, but everything did just fine with no ill effects notices to either fish or corals.

my .02

Are you going to be at the CARC swap next weekend?

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 250 gallons in my system and right now I dose 90 ML of each. I am currently using the DT's pure reef elements, but I am going to be switching over to bulk reef supply two part.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AH I see beaslbob I read it as you were making single doseing as in Reef complete type stuff.

JR,

From what I understand that doesn't work. The chlorides combined with the carbonates will preciptate calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate.

From what I understand the single dose schemes rely on carbon dioxide to provide the carbon with calcium hydroxide (kalk) being the most common example. Some also add vinegar. But at that point bumps into a wall of my ignorance. :neutral:

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back