EB832 Death Screen?

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely regardless of price, a piece of equipment that is intended to be used near an aquarium, yet can be rendered useless by salt mist, is a crappy product. Just to set the record straight, an "industrial version" would cost nowhere close to 30k. The reason people don't buy other "smart strips" is because the apex integrates many other accessories, so you are forced to accept the eb832 if you want any benefit of the very streamlined apex system. My goodness, neptune doesn't get enough praise for how easy everything is to set up. It really is incredible considering all that has been integrated as they have. Sure the programming is clunky and leaves a lot to be desired, but a lot of people succeed with it. That said, the hardware is cheap as hell. It seems their products that interact directly with water are very well designed to accept that environment. Too bad that won't make any difference when all sockets are dead on your eb832.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay if the average income is 50k a year then 250$ is 2 days of post tax income. That's a lot of money to spend on 40$ worth of chinese junk, and on the false pretense that the company will support you. If you say 250$ is inexpensive for 8 outlets, then you are clearly far wealthier than a large portion of aquarium owners. You can't just pull the " if you can afford one than you can afford two" ********

If my family income was 50K a year, I don't think I would have a controller, and if I could justify a reef tank, it would be small enough that a controller wouldn't be needed. YMMV

U

User1

View Badges
Okay if the average income is 50k a year then 250$ is 2 days of post tax income. That's a lot of money to spend on 40$ worth of chinese junk, and on the false pretense that the company will support you. If you say 250$ is inexpensive for 8 outlets, then you are clearly far wealthier than a large portion of aquarium owners. You can't just pull the " if you can afford one than you can afford two" ********

Some people can just be better at budgeting or choose differently. It doesn't always have to be a wealth gap. I know the media loves to play that card but sometimes, a lot of times, it comes down to choices. I mean I always wanted a GT350 and so when the 2015's got launched I was shopping all up and down California but couldn't find anything that didn't carry a $25 - $50K ADM mark up. My better half was like just buy the darn thing and be done with it and I'm like no. Spread the shopping cross state lines and still couldn't find a deal that would be fair to both parties. Chose the 2015 GT/PP instead and couldn't have been happier. No, it isn't what I wanted. No, it didn't have a 8,5000 RPM redline. But the car I bought was still capable, more than capable for my skill level, an the tracks I drove it on (Thunder Hill and Sears Point).

TL; DR - it isn't about wealth. People blow $250 on corals, fish, and a bottle of wine. I think the energy bar is priced fine and a good product. Perfect? Maybe, maybe not. If it was a bigger issue I would trust Neptune thought o address it. Why? Because it makes both parties quality of life better. So maybe it isn't as wide spread as we are lead to believe.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say to use dielectric grease, that is a terrible idea haha! I was referring to acrylic paint on coatings, I use them on drones to protect in clouds. It's cheap enough for a bottle of it:

and that would last for a large number of boards.

Another drone builder!?!?!?!?!

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 yes anyone can budget a few days worth of time for a product, and I don't mind blowing money on things I am passionate about. In terms of automobiles, the eb832 is a lemon. Lots of users may drive them around for a long time, but that doesn't mean that they aren't lemons to many other users. Imagine if your GT/PP stopped functioning because you hit a puddle. Manufacture says you cant drive it in water, so you are stuck with that citrus flavor in your mouth as you are forced to total it.
Obviously the parallels are forced here, but I hope you see the comparison

@joshwaggs yup! with all this discussion of budgeting, I hope no one finds out how much I've spend on some of my FPV equipment lol....

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 yes anyone can budget a few days worth of time for a product, and I don't mind blowing money on things I am passionate about. In terms of automobiles, the eb832 is a lemon. Lots of users may drive them around for a long time, but that doesn't mean that they aren't lemons to many other users. Imagine if your GT/PP stopped functioning because you hit a puddle. Manufacture says you cant drive it in water, so you are stuck with that citrus flavor in your mouth as you are forced to total it.
Obviously the parallels are forced here, but I hope you see the comparison

@joshwaggs yup! with all this discussion of budgeting, I hope no one finds out how much I've spend on some of my FPV equipment lol....
hahaha those Fat Sharks look pretty old compared to the DJI FPV goggles. Obviously, you "need" both.
Also, you say you conformal coat for clouds. Well, I conformal coat for upside down "landings" in water, snow, and wet grass. lol. Of course, the coating doesnt stop the rotors and arms from snapping like fine china.

Ok. I wont derail the thread again.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entirely regardless of price, a piece of equipment that is intended to be used near an aquarium, yet can be rendered useless by salt mist, is a crappy product.

That is pretty much every light fixture made for the hobby.
Just to set the record straight, an "industrial version" would cost nowhere close to 30k.

It does. I had them running side by side. I suppose it depends on your definition of industrial version - there aren't many.

The reason people don't buy other "smart strips" is because the apex integrates many other accessories, so you are forced to accept the eb832 if you want any benefit of the very streamlined apex system.
Are people using them stand alone for tanks? Are they reliable enough? I see them but I don't see aquarists using them.

My goodness, neptune doesn't get enough praise for how easy everything is to set up. It really is incredible considering all that has been integrated as they have. Sure the programming is clunky and leaves a lot to be desired, but a lot of people succeed with it.
:D

That said, the hardware is cheap as hell. It seems their products that interact directly with water are very well designed to accept that environment. Too bad that won't make any difference when all sockets are dead on your eb832.
You don't mean that there are power strips that are rated to interact directly with water do you? You can't. :D That said, I think any piece of electrical equipment available to the hobby can have problems in some of the environments we put them in. I have 12 Radions and two EB832s in a small enclosed tank room for some experiments for like 4 years now. Not a problem with either of the EB832's, but one of the Radions went goofy. I suspect a lot of the aquarium equipment problems we hear about are user error or not knowing that you shouldn't put electrical stuff in the splash zone.

Let's derail - can you recommend an entry level FPV bundle for me? Thanks!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My EB832 never touched water and was in a splash free zone. My user error was unplugging it and plugging it back in. I can't imagine what happens to these things during a power outage, although, my power has gone out several times in the 3 years I've owned it.
I've never had a major issue with my apex, but I had an issue with the pH probe not calibrating when I first set it up, but they sent me a new probe and everything has been solid since then. I've owned two systems, one classic and my current one, so I've had a pleasant experience for the most part, but when I start reading about one particular module having issues, then the red flags come out. I'm not here to bash, but hopefully add to the concern for an ongoing issue and possible long term resolution, either in the way of improvement in the product or its warranty duration? One would hope that a company would listen to its customer's feedback and improve on its product, but I've been wrong before.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You too?!?!?!
I want in, but don't know what makes sense to buy entry level. I look, then get scared off because of all the options I know nothing about. Been flying Mavics since they were introduced though. Any suggestions on FPV entry level bundles?

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Are people using them stand alone for tanks? Are they reliable enough? I see them but I don't see aquarists using them...
Wi-Fi smart strips, yes. A least a few threads on them, one being Kasa.

I have a full controller but us a $20 Gosund smart strip for my lights. Had it about six months or so, no issues.

The Coralvue Hydros uses a rebranded one, don't recall the manufacturer. Someone figured out which one and it's in one of the Hydros threads. It sells for $40. Time will tell the reliability. They also sell single outlet smart plugs.

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want in, but don't know what makes sense to buy entry level. I look, then get scared off because of all the options I know nothing about. Been flying Mavics since they were introduced though. Any suggestions on FPV entry level bundles?
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want FPV, DJI makes a pair goggles just for those kind of photography drones. If you want more control and fun, then it is going to be expensive at first and the learning curve is crazy, but DJI goggles, the ones that look like bug eyes are going to be the best bet for future proofing. They are about 600 for the goggles, then another 100 or 150 for cameras.
This is probably your best bet

If you want to go cheaper to see if you will like it, just go with analog goggles and a tiny whoop or a small cheaper ready to fly drone kit.
Here are some of those

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey, there's no drone talk here! :p Not to sidetrack this further, but my neighbor gave my son a free drone. I guess they stopped using it? Either way, it's pretty fun to fly around. Phantom FC40 I think?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably your best bet

If you want to go cheaper to see if you even will like it, just go with analog goggles and a tiny whoop or a small cheaper ready to fly drone kit.
Here are some of those
Thanks. That is super helpful!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wi-Fi smart strips, yes. A least a few threads on them, one being Kasa.

I have a full controller but us a $20 Gosund smart strip for my lights. Had it about six months or so, no issues.

The Coralvue Hydros uses a rebranded one, don't recall the manufacturer. Someone figured out which one and it's in one of the Hydros threads. It sells for $40. Time will tell the reliability. They also sell single outlet smart plugs.
Great! I hope they are more reliable than the wifi plugs I have!

Last edited:

TheJoshuaPlan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I have 2 eb832's in similar symptoms I believe. In fusion can you switch on/off the sockets? If it allows you to do that, and the indicator lights change states, then it is likely the same problem I have. I think the issue is the 12v power supply above the Fan. It is receiving AC power, but is not outputting 12vdc. I am PLEASED to know that even a single drop of water hitting the small fan on the side will likely short this supply and disable all of the sockets. It is this part:
IMG_20201205_201439.jpg

Spoiler: Neptune bought the cheapest possible power supply (2$)-

I have one on the way to see if this is the core issue, but If this psu was shorting out, it is possible it was powering up, overheating/drawing, then shutting off and repeating that. Each time it powered on it would enable some relays then disable them when it died. That was likely the uncontrolled ticking you were hearing. If this solves the issue I will be making a DIY repair post, because it should be quite easy with any soldering experience. Whatever the case don't throw out any eb832's for a few weeks haha. If Neptune is offering a "discount to replace" for the low cost of 200$, because of a component that is literally 2$, then that is straight up criminal.
I ordered 3 of these. Gonna replace on my bad EB832 and see if it fixes it and have 2 as backup in case they go bad.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the "known problem" after fusion had a big outage the ither morning i thought the issue was on my end. plugged unplugged etc... fusion comes back on, i turn syatem back on now this.
ticket created, back and forth with tech had to buy mew unit at "reolacement cost " whichbis cool bit would rather it never happened. and id like to know what happened

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-121039_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-121039_APEX Fusion.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back