OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If you had posted the PDF earlier I apologize as I missed it and should have seen it. I recently picked up a pair of used EB832's and thinking this would be a wise investment.

Are you sure they are the older version?

If they are newer model (identified via an Intertek sticker on the back) they come standard with the improved Meanwell power supply. No upgrade needed.

Regardless if you protect the EB832s with a UPS, they should last a good while. If they are protected it may not be worth doing this preventatively. Perhaps just grab a replacement PSU (cheap one or Meanwell) to keep on hand in case it happens.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they are the older version?

If they are newer model (identified via an Intertek sticker on the back) they come standard with the improved Meanwell power supply. No upgrade needed.

Regardless if you protect the EB832s with a UPS, they should last a good while. If they are protected it may not be worth doing this preventatively. Perhaps just grab a replacement PSU (cheap one or Meanwell) to keep on hand in case it happens.

Good point(s). They are older. The thought was to use one as a spare the other to use in the garage for a future auto water change / DOS. Not implemented yet but needs to be as I'm tired of lugging buckets :D

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a device did someone connect to blow a resistor like this?!

Meanwell upgrade + resistor replacement! :)

E64765FF-F132-43BE-A99F-049947EAAB11.jpeg

Sensing resistor repaired w. extended traces, resistor pack replaced, and outlet #6 lives again! Used Telnet to zero EB832 current monitoring and verified it was accurate.

420CEE5E-DA91-4A17-82AB-9C42577B7F27.png

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you every done this upgrade just for preventive maintenance sake?

I have two used EB832 that IDK how old they are and how they were used by previous owners.

Also is this a fix all end all solution or can this still break to?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have two used EB832 that IDK how old they are and how they were used by previous owners.

All electronics can and will break. Take if from an electronics technician. It may be decades away from doing it but with the way they have to make components nowadays to comply with environmental rules if you get over 15 years count it great. I see stuff now that was made in the 30's and 40's that still have good capacitors but don't expect the new ones to last anywhere near that long. I replace tons more caps in newer things than I ever have for things that were made before the 70's. I have been doing electronics repair since the 70's.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a long term, semi-permanent solution for the most common issue on pre-Intertek EB832s (12v PSU failure every 2-3 years).

Neptune has addressed this issue by including a Meanwell IRM-05-12 power supply in newer EB832s. I’m currently shipping the repair/upgrade kits with an IRM-10-12 which has a higher output rating and thus should have an even longer lifespan due to operating at half capacity.

Other issues can arise due to water damage, overcurrent, unpredictable failures, etc, but the largest design defect is addressed.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long term, semi-permanent solution for the most common issue on pre-Intertek EB832s (12v PSU failure every 2-3 years).

Neptune has addressed this issue by including a Meanwell IRM-05-12 power supply in newer EB832s. I’m currently shipping the repair/upgrade kits with an IRM-10-12 which has a higher output rating and should have an even LONGER lifespan.

Other issues can arise due to water damage, overcurrent, unpredictable failures, etc, but the largest design defect is addressed.
Do you have a price so one can ship you an eb832?

stove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what comes in the repair kit? Is it the Meanwell PSU with pins already soldered on, or just the PCB + PSU?

I've also seen some repair videos where people used solder wick. Is that recommended or can I get by with the cheapo solder sucker that I have on hand?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what comes in the repair kit? Is it the Meanwell PSU with pins already soldered on, or just the PCB + PSU?

I've also seen some repair videos where people used solder wick. Is that recommended or can I get by with the cheapo solder sucker that I have on hand?

It comes with everything. The “DIY KIT” includes headers, the PCB, and the Meanwell PSU. The “Assembled kit” has those components preinstalled on the PCB.

I use a cheapo-solder sucker and it works perfectly. As long as you clear out enough solder to get the pins through, you’re good.

stove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed the pre-assembled kit and the dang thing works again! If you have any soldering experience I'd recommend just doing this repair yourself over sending it to Neptune Systems. Took me about an hour with my mediocre desoldering skills.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: I’ve now shipped and installed 115 of these repair/upgrade kits. Besides the occasional person who had a totally different issue (water damage), the repair kit has been a success and brought the vast majority of EB832s back to life!

If your pre-intertek EB832 fits those symptoms (no power at any outlets, no audible clicks but you can still change the LED indicator via Apex Fusion) I would highly recommend going this route.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how these PSUs are shipped. Buying 50 at a time is $$$! I’m installing or shipping about 25 kits per month.

IMG_6815.jpeg

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday morning repairs. I find it pretty relaxing with a cup o coffee! Five successful repairs that will ship back out on Monday.

4x EB832 with 12v PSU replacement/upgrade.

1x EB832 with Aquabus Transceiver replacement, front panel LED replacement.

IMG_6872.jpeg

NIReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I have been reading several of your posts and brand new, so I apologize for not knowing how to Message.
I am interested in getting more info on purchasing several of these kits and/or the Meanwell or where to purchase if possible.

Thank you so much and truly appreciate the info!

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick FAQ:

Q1) How do I know if my EB832 has the older, less reliable power supply?
A1) A newer EB832 version has a large “Intertek” certification sticker on the back. No sticker = older version.

Q2) Is this the same power supply that is used in the newer EB832s?
A2) Essentially yes. Technically this repair kit includes a better Meanwell IRM-10-12 (10w), while the newer Neptune EB832 model includes a IRM-5-12 (5w). I chose this version because it will run at its 50% rated capacity, making it run cooler and last longer.

Q3) Is this a better repair than replacing the exposed PSU with an original one or upgrading the capacitors?
A3) I believe it is. The Meanwell power supply is a very high quality enclosed unit commonly used in high end engineering and medical device applications. It should outlast the life span of the power bar. Although the “capacitor upgrade” does seem to fix the original power supply, it is more difficult for most hobbyists to attempt and you still have the traces exposed to salty humid air. Not worth pinching pennies on a life support system either.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realized just about 300 EB832s have been fixed with this technique! Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back