Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Flux Rx seems like a really good option, but should I take the chances? If we weren't in lockdown, I would have surely tried but if anything happens (reaction) to my fish...
No reaction to fish or coral I did it about a month ago cleared everything up completely

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is fish only tank?

I can tell from the picture that your water parameters most likely were high No3-Po4 and if you try to test it now youll probably get low readings since the algae probably consumes it.

Brita filter IMO only going to filter out 10-30% of your TDS, so if your tap water was 190ppm you will still have close 70ppm which is way too high for top off water.

If you can I would buy a cheap RO Buddie +DI system you can find on Amazon for $50

Immediately make 5 gallons of it and top it off with that instead of Brita

Steps to getting rid of algae there is no overnight solution
Manualy remove of this algae as much as you can
Feed lot less
And go for a 3-4 day complete blackout

Follow these steps I would not reccomend black outs back to back once a month not to stress your fish too much

If you are going to manually remove algae do it one rock at a time, take it out brush it off and put it back in, as quickly as you can.

But source of your problem is very obvious.

Good luck

And dont forget the snails. And or cuc

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add to the problem, by adding chemicals to a tank.
I would take each rock out ans scrub it clean.
This will need to be done until you get better water.
Not fun but ya have to do what ya have to do.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting in fluconazole will definitely kill the algae. But what worries me is the amount of dead algae that will result. Here's what i would suggest, if all the rest of your parameters are in check.
Take out each rock, scrub off as much algae as you can, rinse, then replace. THEN use fluconazole to get rid of the microscopic bits left over.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 20+ water change with distilled water scrub the rocks with tank water and call it a day. The water you have been using is not much better than tap water and has all the nutrients to fuel a green hair algae outbreak. Like stated above if the scrub and large water change does not bring your nitrates close to zero and stay there then it is probably the rocks that are leaching nitrates and phosphates back into the water column. Which I do not think is the case since it seems like the algae outbreak happened once you were not able to acquire water

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember where I read this study but supposedly the distilled water from CVS is supposed to be the best substitute.

IMO you need to feed that yellow tang more. It's skinny.

You don't have any corals? You can lower the lights, temp and salinity and that will work wonders.

Manually remove all of the algae you can. That's a good start.
Consider getting some of these to help.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where it appears you do not have corals, the bulk of it could be handled by getting different live rock, then bleach soaking the current live rock, and clean your sandbed good. That would get a huge jumpstart on what appears to be 90% of the problem.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back