Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So ever since this pandemic, I haven't had access to quality filtered RODI water and instead, I've been using Brita filtered water to top up my system. I have had an algae explosion and I don't know where to begin and how to clean this up. I was planning on upgrading my system this summer but that didn't go well... Here are some pics, the fish are completely healthy and so far no issues with them but the state of my tank right now scares me Some tips would be great so I can get through with the limited sources available to me. Stay safe!

Yes there is a tang (small) in my 40g system but as I've mentioned I was planning on upgrading.

IMG_4736.jpg
IMG_8161.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing is to start using rodi water and scrub the rocks. If it’s from the water it should clear up over time.
And that tang in a 40g isn’t helping either. EVERYBODY says they are going to upgrade but few actually do....

also need to post some parameters.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

So ever since this pandemic, I haven't had access to quality filtered RODI water and instead, I've been using Brita filtered water to top up my system. I have had an algae explosion and I don't know where to begin and how to clean this up. I was planning on upgrading my system this summer but that didn't go well... Here are some pics, the fish are completely healthy and so far no issues with them but the state of my tank right now scares me Some tips would be great so I can get through with the limited sources available to me. Stay safe!

Yes there is a tang (small) in my 40g system but as I've mentioned I was planning on upgrading.

IMG_4736.jpg
IMG_8161.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg

Hey there - couple questions :

1. Is your skimmer pulling any gunk out?
2. When you do water changes, do you clean the sand and /or rock?
3. Do you have corals?
4. Is purchasing an RODI an option?

:)

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is no where near a permanent solution but can you get distilled water from the grocery store? It would be so much better then just filtered water. If you can get it I would do a water change and only use distilled till you can get rodi.

Johny Cash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume this is fish only tank?

I can tell from the picture that your water parameters most likely were high No3-Po4 and if you try to test it now youll probably get low readings since the algae probably consumes it.

Brita filter IMO only going to filter out 10-30% of your TDS, so if your tap water was 190ppm you will still have close 70ppm which is way too high for top off water.

If you can I would buy a cheap RO Buddie +DI system you can find on Amazon for $50

Immediately make 5 gallons of it and top it off with that instead of Brita

Steps to getting rid of algae there is no overnight solution
Manualy remove of this algae as much as you can
Feed lot less
And go for a 3-4 day complete blackout

Follow these steps I would not reccomend black outs back to back once a month not to stress your fish too much

If you are going to manually remove algae do it one rock at a time, take it out brush it off and put it back in, as quickly as you can.

But source of your problem is very obvious.

Good luck

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing is to start using rodi water and scrub the rocks. If it’s from the water it should clear up over time.
And that tang in a 40g isn’t helping either. EVERYBODY says they are going to upgrade but few actually do....

Hi,

I've been buying water actually but as mentioned, I really can't get access to it anymore. Yes I know many don't upgrade but my birthday was coming up... Great chance to upgrade then!

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your location? Maybe reach out to local reef club mebers for rodi water until you can get your own unit. Most are willing to help. I have given out 100+ gallons since this cvd stuff started. Once you source some good water, scrub your rocks and do a healthy water change.

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there - couple questions :

1. Is your skimmer pulling any gunk out?
2. When you do water changes, do you clean the sand and /or rock?
3. Do you have corals?
4. Is purchasing an RODI an option?

:)
Hi,

Sadly, purchasing a system is not an option
I have GSP
I haven't used my skimmer as my water level is too low. I'm trying to avoid using the brita as much as possible

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your location? Maybe reach out to local reef club mebers for rodi water until you can get your own unit. Most are willing to help. I have given out 100+ gallons since this cvd stuff started.
Well I'm in the Chicago area. And people like you are heroes without capes!

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, that's a lot of algae. but it is doing something - consuming nitrate and phosphate so it is sort of helping your fish for now while you don't have better water. Something that eats it or a chemical that degrades it will just leave those nutrients in the tank. I think your best bet is to use distilled water if you can and engage in a lot of manual algae removal. Maybe pull a rock or 2 out to scrub the algae off and return them - dont bleach them, just remove algae. Maybe feed a little less or blast trapped food up out of the rocks with a spatula or turkey baster. Since you have a skimmer, you can try carbon dosing if you have vinegar or alcohol around - or order some nopox. But you'll need to replace the water that skims out.
Once you have access to better water, you can try something like a conch, emerald crabs, vibrant, etc.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough. Looks like your DT water level is low. I'm assuming from evaporation. Salinity could be high! That could be trouble if not corrected soon.

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough. Looks like your DT water level is low. I'm assuming from evaporation. Salinity could be high! That could be trouble if not corrected soon.
Hi,

Thank you for the concern but I've used my refractometer to check the salinity and it seems to be in the safe range. The water was low initially ever since my last water change.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

IMG_4736.jpg
IMG_8161.jpg
IMG_8661.jpg
Reef flux use this stuff it works trust me

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, that's a lot of algae. but it is doing something - consuming nitrate and phosphate so it is sort of helping your fish for now while you don't have better water. Something that eats it or a chemical that degrades it will just leave those nutrients in the tank. I think your best bet is to use distilled water if you can and engage in a lot of manual algae removal. Maybe pull a rock or 2 out to scrub the algae off and return them - dont bleach them, just remove algae. Maybe feed a little less or blast trapped food up out of the rocks with a spatula or turkey baster. Since you have a skimmer, you can try carbon dosing if you have vinegar or alcohol around - or order some nopox. But you'll need to replace the water that skims out.
Once you have access to better water, you can try something like a conch, emerald crabs, vibrant, etc.

Phew. As long as my fish are safe and we can make it out of the pandemic, I will surely fix up and nuke the algae.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi first i would recommend taking 2 half buckets of salt water ,scrub the rock in one ,swish in other,what town are you in may know someone for water for you

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above....I’m in Ohio, we get L.Erie water; same basic stuff: ppm 120, pH 7.1. ,.... lots of agriculture runoff and summer algae blooms...
In a pinch i’ve had to use muni water b4 and you can help matter a LOT by just running a chemipure and a phosphate remover (while its FW and b4 converting to SW)

OP
OP
Ashv5

Ashv5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So phosphate remover the way to go? All I need is the fish to be safe and healthy, just enough for the pandemic to be over with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back