Feeding dwarf lionfish

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a dwarf fuzzy Lionfish for my 75 gallon and am currently setting up a 10 gallon to house feeders. Will ghost shrimp work and do I need to buy saltwater acclimated shrimp or can I keep the freshwater kind. I am also wondering if fiddler crabs could work as feeders. Any other advice would be appreciated

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a dwarf fuzzy Lionfish for my 75 gallon and am currently setting up a 10 gallon to house feeders. Will ghost shrimp work and do I need to buy saltwater acclimated shrimp or can I keep the freshwater kind. I am also wondering if fiddler crabs could work as feeders. Any other advice would be appreciated
Ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies are the go to feeders in the hobby, and from what I’ve heard they work great for Lions. Freshwater Ghost Shrimp works just fine.

Some great nutrition threads for predators:

OP
OP
InvertEnjoyer

InvertEnjoyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp, guppies, and mollies are the go to feeders in the hobby, and from what I’ve heard they work great for Lions. Freshwater Ghost Shrimp works just fine.

Some great nutrition threads for predators:
Thanks!

reef_725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there, I haven't personally kept a dwarf verity but im sure they are very similar to the larger breeds. In my experience they will eat just literally anything, as entertaining as live feeding is I never started with that as I don't want to constantly go get feeders and treated them more as a treat everyone in a while. I personally asked for seafood scraps at my local grocery store or bought large bags of frozen raw shrimp on sale.

lovethefishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my dwarf zebra lionfish almost two years ago. I had read somewhere that freshwater feeders were ok for temporary but long term feeding should be with sw feeders. I set up a 30 g. and bought sw grass/ghost shrimp, about 250 at a time and keep them. I also have several other sw tanks and thru some in each of those tanks (very good little cleaners). I would scoop up two or three of the larger ones in a net and feed the lionfish. I tried all kinds of approaches to get it to eat frozen (thawed) krill, but never had any luck. About 8 months after I bought my lionfish, I was having problems trying to restock my supply of sw ghost shrimp. I was also having issues finding feeder fw fish. At feeding one day, I caught a live shrimp and before I released it into the dzl tank, I noticed that he was following the movement of the net. He seemed to associate the net with food. I thawed some krill, added one larger one to the net and moved the net and krill around in front of the dzl. He followed it intently. I let the krill go, and as it floated by him, he scarfed it up. I now feed him chunks of raw shrimp and krill soaked overnight in Selcon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back