First Saltwater Tank

Mike_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a 40 gallon freshwater that I just recently upgraded to a 45gallon, but have always wanted a saltwater tank. About six months ago we finally decided that if I can keep plants/fish alive in a freshwater tank how hard can saltwater be?

That answer is - Kinda hard, but also super expensive . Currently doing the 45 gallon AIO from JBJ. I'm still learning tons, but here is my Saltwater tank in it's current form. I've got 2 clowns and 2 bengaiis, some peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs and snails.

I've also got a few corals that seem to be doing well, but I'm not sure if I have the capacity to add anything else right now. Would maybe like to get a urchin and an anemone at some point, but we will see.

Anyways -Ive been using this site during this time and figured it was finally time to man make an account. Looking forward to seeing everyone's setup/etc.!

PXL_20220408_203407574.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side. I switched over last year from planted tanks too. This hobby is way more challenging which leads to frustration and then great elation. I'm sure you are researching but stability is critical. Water parameters, flow and lighting. It's important to go very slow and methodically with reef tanks....good luck and welcome aboard.

OP
OP
M

Mike_1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side. I switched over last year from planted tanks too. This hobby is way more challenging which leads to frustration and then great elation. I'm sure you are researching but stability is critical. Water parameters, flow and lighting. It's important to go very slow and methodically with reef tanks....good luck and welcome aboard.
Thanks! So far it's been a lot of fun picking out the shrimp/snails/crabs. I haven't had many issues yet either, other than the lovely diatom bloom that hasn't quite gone away yet.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So far it's been a lot of fun picking out the shrimp/snails/crabs. I haven't had many issues yet either, other than the lovely diatom bloom that hasn't quite gone away yet.
Diatoms are just a teaser for the fun stuff ahead with various algae. Do yourself a favor and avoid pricey corals until your tank starts to really get some biodiversity and microfauna maybe at the 6 or 8 month mark. You will be able to see changes in the tank and how things start to stabilize out for you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back