First Thoughts: Vertex Cerebra

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Today I finally got my Vertex Cerebra controller and figured I would post my first thoughts.

I do want to start with the far from pleasant release and how this was handled by Vertex. As most know, the original release date was June 20th. This was quickly pushed to the 24th which was not a big deal. This was followed up by delay after delay . The units originally were not even ready to ship out from Germany. Why set a release date. Once they were shipped they provided new dates for arrival which were quickly pushed back as they realized not everything had been shipped. In the mean time they are telling customers and stores that the product has arrived when it hasn't... Come July 12th and most of the product has been shipped out.

With all that being said this is based off of ~5 hours of use and I will update it as I use it more. I will split this up into a couple of sections:
1. Packaging
2. Controller
3. Multi-Bar/Power-Bar
4. Probes
5. Software
6. Overall Thoughts

I ordered the Prima package, Power-Bar, Conductivity probe, optical level sensor, and a float level switch.

1. Packaging
Similar to most Vertex products, packaging for both the Prima Package and the Power-Bar are great. Lots of foam and everything fits snuggly. As for the probes and sensors, they are in very basic cardboard boxes no padding at all. This shouldn't cause any shipping issues.

2. Controller
Build quality overall is top notch. The controller is fully enclosed in aluminum except for the side caps which are plastic. This is a little disappointing and I don't think it would take much to make those aluminum as well. Being plastic, they are also a slightly different shade of black so its easy to see its a different material. The ports on the back are fairly easily accessible although with bigger hands it is a little tough to get to them since they are inset quite a bit. I am having an issue with the USB connection between the controller and the power-bar being loose and the power-bar resets on slight touches. I have not figured out if this is a cable issue or if it is the connector on one of the devices. Overall I am impressed with the unit and am not too worried about accidentally splashing water on it.

3. Multi-Bar/Power-Bar
Just like the controller, the build quality is great and enclosed un aluminum. They again used plastic for the end caps. For a power-strip it is a fairly large unit and could be problematic for some people to find room for it. The mounting hardware supplied is meant for horizontal mounting only. You can still mount it vertically as I did but would have been a little easier with slightly different mounting brackets. There are also no screws or anchors included to mount the unit to the wall so make sure you have that. The clear window with the led indicator is a nice feature to quickly look at for reference or debugging purposes. The units do use mechanical relays which you hear clicking when they change state. Being mechanical I am also curious about longevity for these relays especially if they are controlling equipment that gets switched a lot. The last complaint is the lack of a USB port on the Multi-Bar. Since the temperature probe is a USB connection and all other probes connect to the Multi-Bar it would make sense to at least have one available. The cable attached is fairly long but it does end up being a bit of a stretch to get to the controller.

4. Probes
I have not had a lot of time to mess with the probes and part of that is because the temperature probe is quite thick and did not fit into my probe holder. Once I get more time with them and a new probe holder I will update this section.

5. Software
The Cerebra seems to be running on a custom build of Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread). There have been some concerns about security since this controller is running on Android. Seeing that this is running on quite an old version of Android, this is a valid concern, as it was last updated 4 years ago. The unit seems to be fairly responsive most of the time but does get caught up every now and then. The resistive touch screen is my biggest issue so far as scrolling is quite difficult especially on a list with buttons. I understand why they went this route as using capacitive with wet fingers would be even worse. For the initial setup I would suggest getting a keyboard and mouse and for any small changes after you can get by with your fingers. Configuring the outlets is fairly simple and can be done very quickly. I do have my concerns because of the simplicity though. With it being very simple, will people be able to do more advanced things that you can do with code on the apex? I also noticed that the icons are sometimes slow with updating their current status. At first, along with the USB connection being iffy, the controller seemed to be turning outlets on and off randomly. This subsided after I updated the controller so that seems to be fixed. They are also still working on the C-Cloud part and have not ported the software over to Amazon servers so it is not working yet. This also shows that this was a very unorganized release which does not look good on the company. Seeing how long it took to get the actual hardware, I would be surprised if this part is ready by the 18th, which is what they are currently saying.

6. Overall Thoughts
After a very disappointing release I do think this controller has a lot of potential but it shows that it is a first release. Most of the issues do seem to be software related which can be fixed with updates as some already have. I do see a lot of possibilities coming once the "Development Package" is released and users and companies can create third party apps. I do have to wonder why they are running on such an outdated version of Android and hope it is kept more up to date in the future for security reasons.

I hope this gives a some people a little bit of info on this controller and I can't wait to see how it progresses over the next few months and years.

-Lars

Last edited:

skrtcsr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great write up Lars! My unit should arrive either Friday or Monday so I'm very much living vicariously through you. :) Please keep the updates coming. I too am VERY concerned with the version of Android it feel like that is the flavor that was out when they started developing this 7 years ago and they never updated. Clearly with Android 7 looming here later this year Vertex can do a much better job of getting this thing updated, to your point massive security upgrades have come over the flavors and they really need to get that addressed.

To you point on delays, I'm also with you this if feeling a bit like the Kessil AP700 ordeal with their mobile app. I bought one in October 2015 and as of today, the app which has been in "beta" for 5 months still is missing functionality and has issues. Not a good customer experience at all. I do have to give Vertex Props though at least they stated this was Beta... Kessil NEVER did!

Anyhow, keep up the updates and video's .... Great work! Thanks!

MattOnAMtn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine last night and it's currently running my heaters. I ran the update right away but I did see the ports being switched off and on. I didn't leave it running long enough to figure out if that was some sort of a test routine.

So far so good for me as far as the base functionality. That power strip is rather huge though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the review! Do you have any photos?

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get some pictures tonight when I get home. Hopefully my LFS has a probe holder big enough for the temperature probe.
-Lars

MattOnAMtn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main controller plus the bar

image.jpeg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the head unit would be big...but now realize the powerbar is gigantic. Is that the way the pic was taken maybe or does it look almost as tall as the head? Is it heavy?

ebulldog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you plan on mounting the head unit? This was the 1st thing that went through my mind when seeing it. Beautiful screen but how and where to mount it is a big question for me.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you plan on mounting the head unit? This was the 1st thing that went through my mind when seeing it. Beautiful screen but how and where to mount it is a big question for me.
I thought mounting it flush on the stand, which would make it look nice from the front display view, but the controller's rear with wires sticking out would then face the sump area, making the view inside the stand not as appealing. Im also curious for mounting options

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the write up @lkoerkemeier, I am looking forward to your updates
I have a question
"The Cerebra seems to be running on a custom build of Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread)"
-> After you update the sw, what android does it have now? or is it still running 2.3.7?

I am really uncomfortable using any devices running Android less than 4.XX (ICS)........
2.3.7 is not bad, but they still have major flaws of the young early Android versions (not mentioning they are no longer supported by google if I am not mistaken)
They had a major break through in memory management fix in ICS....With a cell phones or tablets or even netbooks, memory leak or mismanagement is not really a big deal, you just reboot the box and the box is fast again. However, I don't really want to reboot a Reef Controller every so often. I have not rebooted my controller for a long time.....

Anyway, too early to worry...Let's see how it goes :)

MattOnAMtn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the head unit would be big...but now realize the powerbar is gigantic. Is that the way the pic was taken maybe or does it look almost as tall as the head? Is it heavy?

It's not super light. It will look rather neat mounted on the wall next to the tank though

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried the cpu and rom controller are so outdated, you'll never be able to update past gingerbread. It would then become a major security issue, especially if it were connected to the interwebs 24/7. Buffer overflows come to mind.

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Probes/Sensors:

I have some gripes about the two level sensors. First the float switch. It comes with a removable plastic nut which is great...but it is too small to fit over the connector. Which means you can't easily mount it onto anything. Next, the optical sensor just doesn't come with one. This is an issue you can fix but when paying $100's for a controller a cheap plastic nut isn't too much to ask for.
I also have a Atlas-Scientific pH probe that I had for a different project and assumed would work but I am unable to get any sort of reading. The Conductivity Probe is another problem as of now. I have attempted to calibrate it 5-6 times now but once I place it back into my tank I get a reading of 1.020-1.021. My tank is at 1.025 which was checked by two different Milwaukee Digital Refractometers.

Todays update was not too promising but I did get a hold of someone at Vertex and have sent him a list of questions/concerns that he will forward on to the developers in Germany. I will hopefully get a response sometime tomorrow afternoon. Below are a couple of pictures of the controller, Multi-Bar, and sensors.

-Lars
IMG_3599_zpss6bbhsor.jpg

IMG_3598_zpsw8tm6sai.jpg

IMG_3601_zpsqnzutavu.jpg

IMG_3602_zps0ngyx9iz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the write up @lkoerkemeier, I am looking forward to your updates
I have a question
"The Cerebra seems to be running on a custom build of Android 2.3.7 (Gingerbread)"
-> After you update the sw, what android does it have now? or is it still running 2.3.7?

I am really uncomfortable using any devices running Android less than 4.XX (ICS)........
2.3.7 is not bad, but they still have major flaws of the young early Android versions (not mentioning they are no longer supported by google if I am not mistaken)
They had a major break through in memory management fix in ICS....With a cell phones or tablets or even netbooks, memory leak or mismanagement is not really a big deal, you just reboot the box and the box is fast again. However, I don't really want to reboot a Reef Controller every so often. I have not rebooted my controller for a long time.....

Anyway, too early to worry...Let's see how it goes :)

After the update the unit is still running 2.3.7. All the updater seems to do is update APK's. It also isnt a very intelligent updater. It does not check too see if you are on the latest version and need an update it just downloads what is on their servers and installs them, wether its the same version or not.

-Lars

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think constructive and friendly criticism is appreciated and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It is a bit bulky, but I think they do that so heat release is very efficient and this box will run cool or at least the cortex won't be trapped in heat hence longer life span...

Holy shoot!!! its like a bunch of bricks! How does one even mount that :eek:

Last edited:

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the updates and the reviews. I am excited to see more controllers being released. I think all of the controllers on the market have a lot of catching up to do with current technology, but nothing will help drive them to update and expand like competition will.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back