First Thoughts: Vertex Cerebra

Lloydxmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I cancelled my pre-order because I was worried that the version of android as well as the chip that runs it were released 7 or 8 years ago. I still want to get one but am afraid the OS will only get slower and glitchy.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review. I cancelled my pre-order because I was worried that the version of android as well as the chip that runs it were released 7 or 8 years ago. I still want to get one but am afraid the OS will only get slower and glitchy.

That's actually disappointing to read. I'm on the pre-order and looking forward to it. The software could always be updated; however, I doubt they can update an 8 year old chip. Maybe on a Profilux. :eek:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone here saying that the chip is less powerful than the ones on the GHL or Neptune Systems? Maybe ask GHL for the specs on their chip.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. What chip do they use on the classic and new Apex ? Come on you know that intel ...please share :)
I am very sure the classic apex is using a very old and less capable chip compared to the Cortex A8, but what does the new apex use?

Is anyone here saying that the chip is less powerful than the ones on the GHL or Neptune Systems? Maybe ask GHL for the specs on their chip.

Lloydxmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't get why they didn't update the chip and OS to something from this decade. I personally don't like my apex but I don't think the chip matters as much on that system as it does on this one. Being built on an open android platform you would think they would want to have a decent amount of processing power to run apps that will be written for it.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really guy's how much computing power does it take to run our controllers? This is not chip intensive work here! They might be using 2-5% of it's computing power at best. This isn't rocket science. BTW, rocket ships have less computing power!

Lloydxmas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main issue is the age of the chip and version of android it's running on. It's just outdated technology. In this review he mentioned that the software has had some hang ups. It just makes me wonder if it's due to the older technology. Im in no way bashing this controller as I still want to buy one!! The older tech they put into this new piece of hardware just has me nervous

57buick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it looks like this controller is a year or two from being a viable option over the APEX. I don't see this being very useful for quite a while

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time!
I had Adam from Vertex get some answers for me on some questions I had and he got back to me today with some answers from the developers. I will start with the conductivity probe. I have not been able to completely solve my issue with calibrating this probe. I was told that the probe should be calibrated with 50mS solution. This is typically used with German products as well as the scientific industry. This is slightly problematic as there are only two suppliers that I was able to find, GHL and Tunze. I have ordered some of this solution to see if it provides better results. I did get a hold of the Neptune solution thats at 53mS as well which did help. I am not at 1.0238 measured vs 1.025 actual. My concern is that after calibration the solution isn't read at 53mS but at ~51mS.

Next was the concern about the version of Android. Their response was that every time they updated to a new version of Android, new bugs would be introduced, and they would be fighting a never ending battle. As I do understand this, I don't fully agree with this concept as that is part of the job as a developer. Maybe you shouldn't allow the device to update to the latest and greatest version right away, but I do believe they should try to stay relatively up to date. There is the other side, which is that testing for bugs when thousands of dollars of equipment/livestock is on the line per customer, is very tedious and if they don't run into one bug it could cause a lot of damage. I did do quite a bit of research on Android 2.3.7 and there are no known vulnerabilities currently out and with it being outdated it is not being actively targeted. Combine that with the fact that we are dealing with and aquarium controller, which I would say is far from someones target, I feel comfortable enough running this unit without security concerns. They also confirmed that all incoming ports are closed unless they are in use by VNC or another program that requires incoming data. This will change a bit once C-Cloud is rolled out but according to them this will all be fully encrypted. I will investigate this more once it is available.

I was also curious to see what type of hardware we are working with. For the head unit, nothing seems to have changed from when they announced it in 2011. Based on the "i.MX51 Babbage board"
32-bit Cortex-A8 800MHz Single Core by Freescale
512Mb RAM
AMD Z430 GPU
OpenGL ES 2.0
https://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/17/vertex-aquaristik-cerebra-android-app-store/

The CPU runs at around 60-75% and sometimes spiking to 90%. With the Cerebra processes using ~20%.
The display is 800x480 which looks sharp and I don't think there is any reason to need more.

As for the sensors and mounting them, they are designed to work with a magnetic mounting option that will be released around the first week of September. From how Adam described it, this will be similar to GHL's option which I have ordered. The float switch mount has a grove that the switch fits in and tightens down one and the optical sensor mount will be threaded.

When I was exploring the device a bit I also noticed that there was an "app" for the Libra Doser. So for anyone with one of these it looks like support of some sort will be coming.

Thats it for now. I will provide another update as I learn more. If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
-Lars

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really guy's how much computing power does it take to run our controllers? This is not chip intensive work here! They might be using 2-5% of it's computing power at best. This isn't rocket science. BTW, rocket ships have less computing power!

As I mentioned in the update the CPU runs around 60-75%. The Cerebra processes take about 20%.

Yea it looks like this controller is a year or two from being a viable option over the APEX. I don't see this being very useful for quite a while
I wouldn't say that its not going to be useful for quite a while. Yes, it does have some issues, but so do most first release products. As far as those issues are concerned, most if not all seem to be software related which you can fix with updates.

-Lars

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time!
I had Adam from Vertex get some answers for me on some questions I had and he got back to me today with some answers from the developers. I will start with the conductivity probe. I have not been able to completely solve my issue with calibrating this probe. I was told that the probe should be calibrated with 50mS solution. This is typically used with German products as well as the scientific industry. This is slightly problematic as there are only two suppliers that I was able to find, GHL and Tunze. I have ordered some of this solution to see if it provides better results. I did get a hold of the Neptune solution thats at 53mS as well which did help. I am not at 1.0238 measured vs 1.025 actual. My concern is that after calibration the solution isn't read at 53mS but at ~51mS.

Next was the concern about the version of Android. Their response was that every time they updated to a new version of Android, new bugs would be introduced, and they would be fighting a never ending battle. As I do understand this, I don't fully agree with this concept as that is part of the job as a developer. Maybe you shouldn't allow the device to update to the latest and greatest version right away, but I do believe they should try to stay relatively up to date. There is the other side, which is that testing for bugs when thousands of dollars of equipment/livestock is on the line per customer, is very tedious and if they don't run into one bug it could cause a lot of damage. I did do quite a bit of research on Android 2.3.7 and there are no known vulnerabilities currently out and with it being outdated it is not being actively targeted. Combine that with the fact that we are dealing with and aquarium controller, which I would say is far from someones target, I feel comfortable enough running this unit without security concerns. They also confirmed that all incoming ports are closed unless they are in use by VNC or another program that requires incoming data. This will change a bit once C-Cloud is rolled out but according to them this will all be fully encrypted. I will investigate this more once it is available.

I was also curious to see what type of hardware we are working with. For the head unit, nothing seems to have changed from when they announced it in 2011. Based on the "i.MX51 Babbage board"
512Mb RAM
AMD Z430 GPU
OpenGL ES 2.0
https://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/17/vertex-aquaristik-cerebra-android-app-store/

The CPU runs at around 60-75% and sometimes spiking to 90%. With the Cerebra processes using ~20%.
The display is 800x480 which looks sharp and I don't think there is any reason to need more.

As for the sensors and mounting them, they are designed to work with a magnetic mounting option that will be released around the first week of September. From how Adam described it, this will be similar to GHL's option which I have ordered. The float switch mount has a grove that the switch fits in and tightens down one and the optical sensor mount will be threaded.

When I was exploring the device a bit I also noticed that there was an "app" for the Libra Doser. So for anyone with one of these it looks like support of some sort will be coming.

Thats it for now. I will provide another update as I learn more. If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
-Lars
Thanks for updates...

koshersalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update Time!

512Mb RAM
AMD Z430 GPU
OpenGL ES 2.0

Thanks,
-Lars

Thanks for posting! Are you using the default android menu to see cpu usage?

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting! Are you using the default android menu to see cpu usage?
No this was done using "OS Monitor" which gives me detailed information on all the processes. I don't believe Gingerbread has a built in process monitor.
-Lars

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The play store is not installed but you can sideload apps although I would not recommend doing this.

-Lars

GarrettC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got the controller and I can't figure out how to customize my home screen or what ever like in all videos and photos??

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got the controller and I can't figure out how to customize my home screen or what ever like in all videos and photos??
@GarrettC Go to your home screen and do the following:
1. Click the "Menu" button to the right of the display.
2. Select "Desktop Customizer"
3. Select "New Desktop"
4. From here you can give it a name, and select what you want displayed.
5. Once you're happy click back.
6. Now on the home screen scroll up. You should have "Devices" then "Master" and then your new custom desktop.

Let me know if this works for you.

-Lars

OP
OP
L

lkoerkemeier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked thank you
Are the probes calibrated ??
The pH probe was super simple and is running great. The temperature was even easier. The Conductivity on the other hand is being difficult. I am working with Vertex to try and solve the issue. I have it reasonably close now and good enough to monitor any changes.

-Lars

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back