b634a2d723c66785a514d293605bf147.jpg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting take on the subject.
The problem that the young people don't understand is that they are losing the ability to think and solve.
In the UNLIKLEY event please note UNLIKLEY EVENT, we do lose the internet and power, it will be the old folks that have the knowledge to rebuild.
If the young cant look it up on social media or google they will be lost.

I was told of a disagrement between two age groups.
You decide the right.
Young person telling the older person, that he was not needed anymore, that everything he needs to know is right here at his fingertipss on the smartphone.
Old person told the young well yes thats true, but where did the smart phone get all that information? and if your battery dies and your in a pickle well your done for.

No age group needs to be disrespectful to the other. Your not wrong because your old, and your not wrong because your young.

But yea I being old find the new batch of young to be a bit over the top when it comes to the old. Including and especially my own children.

But this is like playing tic-tac-toe there is and never will be a winner on the subject.

I am sorry but this is a gross overgeneralization.

I strongly disagree that the injection of mobile technology has resulted in a loss of critical thinking skills and problem solving.

As a millennial I have seen this time and time again. Boomers claimed that we are a lazy, entitled and stupid generation and that we would never do well in the work place. That we would be drain on the economy and society. Today all of the boomers complaints have been pretty much proven wrong. Millennials are in the work force, driving innovation. We are buying houses now. We are driving the economy. Yes, we had a slower start than many other generations but that is driven by the poor financial decisions of past generations.

The idea that an entire generation of Americans couldn't function if the internet and power went down is ridiculous. Do you think that there are no electrical engineers among our generation? Plenty of millennials enjoy the outdoors as well. One of my other hobbies is backpacking, pretty popular among my peers. We can make fires, set up tents and climb mountains without complaining lol.

Yes, plenty of young people rely on technology today. Obviously we all stand on the shoulders of giants. Each generation takes the collective knowledge of the past ones and improves on it.

Sorry if this comes off as ranting but I just get a little fed up with the "millennials are lazy" circle jerk. I understand we have different values but that doesn't make us "less than" in any way. Boomers are not tougher, smarter or more hard working than millennials. We are all just people and we need to accept eachother at some point.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you get it. Nope not even a tiny bit.
However that's not my problem.
I guess that is the generational gap. There are just somethings that are hard to understand about eachother lol.

I am always willing to learn though.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that is the generational gap. There are just somethings that are hard to understand about eachother lol.

I am always willing to learn though.

It is kind of funny. I had people in my family like you describe. They would be between 100-130 years old now and I will be 59 this year. I have kids that are 20-35 now. I have had a close look at them and their friends.

They don't know how to do anything. It's all magic now. They call me when something breaks or there is a problem.

I grew up in the sweet spot with both digital and analog. I do both.

My children tell me to turn the music down. I built their first computers and taught them how to use them.

As for the rest. Go sit in a restaurant. How many families and couples are staring at their phones instead of speaking to each other. My own kids drive a long way to come visit and then stare at their phone. It never leaves them. It is like a leash.

Books are forever. No one can disappear the info in them 10 years later and pretend you never saw it and it didn't happen. A few tweeks to the search algorithms and it is like something never happened.

I have lived a lot longer than you and have had way more experience at all manner of things. The attitude of young people now prevents them from deriving any benefit from that. This is a bad thing.

Instead of being expert level help we are all just kooks that don't get it now.

Except we do. It's your loss.

I have observed you live in mortal fear of being told you are doing it wrong by someone that actually knows how. How you feel about something is just as important as what we know about it because we saw it first hand.
I have observed a lot. You are going to have save yourselves.
I am too busy having fun.

Last edited:
Back