Fish Disease Outbreak

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Reaching out regarding fish disease that started after buying new fish. I was going to be out of town and did not quarantine properly and my Maroon Clown and Yellow tang have developed what appears to be velvet (not sure, see pictures). I could only get clear pictures of my clown. Please help identify the disease and treatment; i have had this clown for over 3 years now and want to act as soon as possible so i can help it. Thanks!

20200310_105631.jpg 20200310_105634.jpg 20200310_105652_capture.jpg 20200310_105655_capture(0).jpg 20200310_105655_capture(1).jpg 20200310_105655_capture.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its brooklynella, typically associated with clowns
Treatment varies, but begin with a freshwater dip. Do this in a bucket and transfer clown to another bucket for a formalin bath. A product called quick Cure with Formalin and Malachite Green will work. Other option is a medication called Acriflavin which is one of the most under-used treatments which has a broad range of effect against protozoan, bacterial and external fungus and is reef safe.
You will find it at most LFS but do verify that it is NOT combined with malachite green or methylene blue which can make it toxic in reef tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its brooklynella, typically associated with clowns
Treatment varies, but begin with a freshwater dip. Do this in a bucket and transfer clown to another bucket for a formalin bath. A product called quick Cure with Formalin and Malachite Green will work. Other option is a medication called Acriflavin which is one of the most under-used treatments which has a broad range of effect against protozoan, bacterial and external fungus and is reef safe.
You will find it at most LFS but do verify that it is NOT combined with malachite green or methylene blue which can make it toxic in reef tank.

Thanks so much! I was able to get some pictures of my yellow tang...You said typically associated with clowns. It looks a bit different with the tang, is it the same disease?

A few other questions:
how long do fish typically last without treatment?I was only able to find Quick Cure on amazon but doesnt seem like Prime is an option.
Would the RODI dip alone in the meantime help before i get the medication?
Do you know any specific brands for Acriflavin that i can search for? Cant seem to find it.

Thanks again!

20200310_114931.jpg 20200310_115050.jpg 20200310_115117.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang has HLLE. It's difficult to see "early" Brook or velvet on yellow tangs. Turn the lights off in the tank and using a flashlight point it at an angle to the tang's skin. Like looking the "long" way of the fish from front to rear or rear to front. See if you can spot a flour like dusting on the skin.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need Formalin for Brooklynella, I'd suggest finding the pure 37% formaldehyde formalin for a bath before transfer to a sterile quarantine system, but the other kind with malachite green will still work. Are these the only fish in the system?

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need Formalin for Brooklynella, I'd suggest finding the pure 37% formaldehyde formalin for a bath before transfer to a sterile quarantine system, but the other kind with malachite green will still work. Are these the only fish in the system?
There are an additional 2 (6 line wrasse and Royal Gramma) which were in the same tank, no symptoms. I moved them out to another tank by themselves for now and watching for any odd behavior.

I am trying to get my hands on some Formalin, but the only option i have is Quick Cure from Amazon which is set to deliver on Friday even though it is a prime product...There are no LFS that have it near me and i cant find Acriflavin either. The maroon clown is swimming towards the top of the water and moving erratically...I'm not sure she'll make it till Friday :(

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang has HLLE. It's difficult to see "early" Brook or velvet on yellow tangs. Turn the lights off in the tank and using a flashlight point it at an angle to the tang's skin. Like looking the "long" way of the fish from front to rear or rear to front. See if you can spot a flour like dusting on the skin.

If the clown has Brook it is highly likely the tang has it as well...these 2 are like 2 pees in a pod, always hanging out and even sleep right next to each other. I've been reading this is very contagious so i guess i can treat them both.

How should i treat for the HLLE? What could have caused this? They were both perfectly fine last week.

Thanks!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clown has Brook it is highly likely the tang has it as well...these 2 are like 2 pees in a pod, always hanging out and even sleep right next to each other. I've been reading this is very contagious so i guess i can treat them both.

How should i treat for the HLLE? What could have caused this? They were both perfectly fine last week.

Thanks!
Yes, you should assume they both have Brook.
HLLE could be related to the Brook compromising the tang's immune system. What is the tang's diet like?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are an additional 2 (6 line wrasse and Royal Gramma) which were in the same tank, no symptoms. I moved them out to another tank by themselves for now and watching for any odd behavior.

I am trying to get my hands on some Formalin, but the only option i have is Quick Cure from Amazon which is set to deliver on Friday even though it is a prime product...There are no LFS that have it near me and i cant find Acriflavin either. The maroon clown is swimming towards the top of the water and moving erratically...I'm not sure she'll make it till Friday :(
Ruby Reef Rally is an acriflavine product and works well as a bath treatment for Brook.

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should assume they both have Brook.
HLLE could be related to the Brook compromising the tang's immune system. What is the tang's diet like?

He eats a combination of Tetra Marine saltwater flakes and omega one marine pellets. I also supplement with Omega One Super Veggie seaweed.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats a combination of Tetra Marine saltwater flakes and omega one marine pellets. I also supplement with Omega One Super Veggie seaweed.
Supercharging the fish's immune system with lots of proteins, fats and vitamins could help. Here's a couple of thoughts and a link to jsker's food prep that inspired my own fish "smoothies" I make.
I buy several different frozen fish cubes: reef mix, herbivore mix, algae mix, chopped clams, mysis, brine, etc. Take one of each and place in a bowl to "slump" (thaw). Pour off the excess liquid, it can spike your nitrates and phosphates. Add a vitamins like Zoecon, selcon or my current favorite Beta Glucan (1/2 capsule) + a bit of RO as needed to get the mix consistency you want to work with. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

Here's some info on Beta Glucan: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/9/aafeature

And Humblefish's Brooklynella treatment:

OP
OP
N

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the help! I was freaking out a bit since i couldn't find any of the meds near me and had to order on amazon. I went ahead and ordered the Rally Pro, QuickCure and a bundle with Metroplex, Kanaplex, Focus, Garlic Guard.

Did a fresh water dip on Tuesday night for temporary relief and it seemed to help tremendously! They were not acting as crazy as they were before for the next couple of days.

Today i recieved the Rally Pro and started using it to treat the Maroon Clown and Yellow tang, as well as the wrasse and the royal gramma since I started seeing their symptoms. I'm going to continue to use for the next 3 days as directed. Should i do a major water change after 3 days?

If i don't see the fish clearing the Brook, i will do a water change and try the formalin (quickcure), if it comes by then...

After they clear the Brook i will be adding some garlic guard to boost their health.

Thoughts?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back