Fish Stocking - 65gal, 3ft length

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been running my tank for about a year and a half. just looking for some opinions and experience on fish stocking. I’m deciding on what fish to add to my 65 gal mixed reef tank. My current stock includes in order of introduction to the tank:

1. Fire goby
2. 2 false perc Clowns
3. Melenarous Wrasse
4. PinkSpot Goby
5. Royal grama

I also have a mixture of snails and hermits for CUC, fighting conch, blood shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. The fish I’m thinking of adding are:

1. McCosker Flasher Wrasse
2. Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
3. Dwarf angel/Pygmy angel of some kind.
4. Kole Tang or Tomini Tang.
5. Starry blenny, Midas blenny or a bicolor blenny.

I’m not necessarily looking to add all the fish, just what I’m interested in. All advice wellcome!
image.jpg

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the other fish, but blennies are cool. I have a midas in my 60g. Be aware that they can be bullies, especially towards small bottom dwelling fish such as your gobies.

OP
OP
Sawyer Breslow

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone out there with Wrasse experience? Really thinking about getting the two Wrasses I mentioned in the original post.

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two spot tang in my 65 and lubbocks fairy wrasse. They’ve been doing great for about a year now. The bristletooth tang is neurotic about keeping the walls and rocks clean and the wrasse is always out and about showing off it’s colors.

OP
OP
Sawyer Breslow

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two spot tang in my 65 and lubbocks fairy wrasse. They’ve been doing great for about a year now. The bristletooth tang is neurotic about keeping the walls and rocks clean and the wrasse is always out and about showing off it’s colors.
Any experience with a melanarous. I have one currently and I’m worried he might bully any other Wrasse

9C68767A-B3A6-407C-A0C2-C094496DCC6E.jpeg

Thereefdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with a melanarous. I have one currently and I’m worried he might bully any other Wrasse

9C68767A-B3A6-407C-A0C2-C094496DCC6E.jpeg

Unfortunately I’ve never had one. It’s always a gamble with aggression. I added a small blue spot rabbitfish to the tank and the tang went crazy. I had to move him into his own tank for a bit, get him to eat and fatten up a bit then reintroduced him. Everything is fine now, sometimes it seems he’s the bully now.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the halichoeres shouldn't mind the cirrhilabrus and paracheilinus too much, but some melanarus have been reported to be a bit rude

@evolved

looks like you have some zoas and maybe some acans? can't tell what those are on your sandbed, but the angel might put some work in on those

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the halichoeres shouldn't mind the cirrhilabrus and paracheilinus too much, but some melanarus have been reported to be a bit rude
Agree; should be okay.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take my word with a grain of salt:

1. Absolutely fine

2. Absolutely fine

3. Good, just make sure to add after your more peaceful fish.

4. IMO not even a Kole or Tomini belongs in a tank smaller than a 4’, 80 gallon. Just my opinion. I think even the smallest tangs would benefit from a 5’ tank, and I would say a 5’ 150 or 6’ 125 is the minimum I’d consider for even the smallest of Zebrasoma Tangs: the Yellow.

5. Absolutely fine.

Your Fairy and Flasher Wrasses should generally be OK with each other. If you do decide to get a Starry Blenny as your Blenny make sure it’s got enough algae to graze on as it’s the same genus as the Lawnmower, if I’m not wrong. Same with the dwarf angel, which appreciates a tank with some algae growth. Good luck with whatever you choose.

If you’re really desperate to get that dwarf angel earlier than later, it would be best to incorporate foods like Spirulina Flakes, Hikari Mega Marine Algae, Formula-2 pellets or whatever herbivorous preparations your LFS has into its diet.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve been running my tank for about a year and a half. just looking for some opinions and experience on fish stocking. I’m deciding on what fish to add to my 65 gal mixed reef tank. My current stock includes in order of introduction to the tank:

1. Fire goby
2. 2 false perc Clowns
3. Melenarous Wrasse
4. PinkSpot Goby
5. Royal grama

I also have a mixture of snails and hermits for CUC, fighting conch, blood shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. The fish I’m thinking of adding are:

1. McCosker Flasher Wrasse
2. Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
3. Dwarf angel/Pygmy angel of some kind.
4. Kole Tang or Tomini Tang.
5. Starry blenny, Midas blenny or a bicolor blenny.

I’m not necessarily looking to add all the fish, just what I’m interested in. All advice wellcome!
image.jpg
I am doing the same, stocking my 65 gal office tank. My advantage is that I have several system at home to bring the fish home if it does not work out. I think the 6 fishes you have now is great. I would add one of the tangs you wanted.
in my tank, newly set up, will eventually have the following fishes:

1 Tomini Tang
1 Melanurus wrasse
1 pair of Flame Back, Cherib or Fireball angels (same species)
1 pair A. percula
Yellow Fin Flasher
McCosker Flasher
Lubbock Wrasse

We have very similar taste in fish.

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny in my 90G and LOVE him. He has so much personality and his favorite perch is on top of my wavemaker. He is always moving and scavenging. For the angel, I would look at a flame angel. They are BEAUTIFUL. I have a Red Coris Wrasse and lve him. Although be aware they jump, and burrow in the sand completely. You will think the fish is gone and its just burrowed. As soon as my lights start to ramp down mine goes under the sand bed for the night.

OP
OP
Sawyer Breslow

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@evolved

looks like you have some zoas and maybe some acans? can't tell what those are on your sandbed, but the angel might put some work in on those
Yeah, acans, zoas and other LPS. I’m probably not going to get an angel just because of the risk.

OP
OP
Sawyer Breslow

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Absolutely fine

2. Absolutely fine

4. IMO not even a Kole or Tomini belongs in a tank smaller than a 4’, 80 gallon. Just my opinion. I think even the smallest tangs would benefit from a 5’ tank, and I would say a 5’ 150 or 6’ 125 is the minimum I’d consider for even the smallest of Zebrasoma Tangs: the Yellow.

5. Absolutely fine.

Your Fairy and Flasher Wrasses should generally be OK with each other. If you do decide to get a Starry Blenny as your Blenny make sure it’s got enough algae to graze on as it’s the same genus as the Lawnmower, if I’m not wrong. Same with the dwarf angel, which appreciates a tank with some algae growth. Good luck with whatever you choose.

If you’re really desperate to get that dwarf angel earlier than later, it would be best to incorporate foods like Spirulina Flakes, Hikari Mega Marine Algae, Formula-2 pellets or whatever herbivorous preparations your LFS has into its diet.
Thanks for the input. I’m leaving towards the wrasse and maybe a blenny if my algae goes up.

JaykS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Absolutely fine

2. Absolutely fine

5. Absolutely fine.

Yet people stuff 6 tangs in a 180.... lol what’s the difference if they are territorial

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beware the bi-color Blenny. They can turn into coral eaters and once they start they don’t stop. I had a bi-color that was fine for months then he got a taste of an acan and after that he decimated multiple corals before I took him out.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but tangs (as open-water swimmers) need a tank at least 6 foot long and 2 feet wide to be comfortable. Moreso for Zabrasoma tangs, and moreso still for Acanthurus. I don't think most hobbyists will ever own a tank large enough for an Acanthurus tang. But I'm not in the majority on this, I think.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back