Flame Angelfish

spycat500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting a 125 gallon reef tank, but I was told that flame angels will eat the coral. I decided to stay away from it even though it is my favorite fish. Since I really want one, would it be possible to keep it by itself in a 20 gallon I have set up. Or does it need bigger? I was referred here from r/reeftank on reddit with this question

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flame angel is one of those might do/might not fish when it comes to corals, most people who have them in coral tanks have no problems whatsoever, I myself intend to have one but im keeping SPS and the flame angel will mostly go for lps and zoanthids if anything.
You might get the odd person saying it ate all there corals but most will say its fine.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few, even one that was nipping my SPS when I introduced it into my reef, If you take your time to feed it correctly and keep it fed it will leave your corals alone... The one advise I can give you is try to include it at the end as they tend to become a bit aggressive towards new fish.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it.

Last edited:

Ej Chavex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a perfect citizen in my mixed reef. Just feed it properly good frozen angel food with all the nori it can eat. I normally do two small feedings one in the morning before work and one when I get home. But I also have a yellow tang, blue regal tang, and a pygmy angel. So when I see that nori holder empty I refill it.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R first off!
As for your Flame desire, if ever their was a reef safe Angel, the first type would be from the Genicanthus genus. After those, Centropyge Angels have a pretty good track record in reef tanks. Of course, some are better than others. One Flame Angel could be a yeoman tank mate, whereas the next one could be a disaster. Ensuring they are well fed and the types of corals you plan on keeping could have a profound impact on whether they pick at your coral polyps or not.
You will have to keep an eye out to see which end of the spectrum your Angel will fall...
Good luck

OP
OP
spycat500

spycat500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few, even one that was nipping my SPS when I introduced it into my reef, If you take your time to feed it correctly and keep it fed it will leave your corals alone... The one advise I can give you is try to include it at the end as they tend to become a bit aggressive towards new fish.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it.
Could it be kept in a 20 gallon by itself though?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not keep it in a 20 gallon tank. Live Aquaria says the minimum is a 70 gallon tank. I wanted one for my 45 gallon and decided not to because of that 70 gallon requirement from LA. I am sure many people will tell you it's OK, but I tend to trust the experts at LA when it comes to minimum tank sizes. Ultimately it is your choice though.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid not. They swim a lot and are grazers.

I have a coral beauty in a 5’ 110 gallon tank and it covers it all fast.

I would recommend a minimum 4’ tank.

I would also recommend you go for it and put it in your display!

CheckeredPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 28g nano cube that is going into my 130g I’m currently cycling. He’s been in there for about a year and was small when I got him. About three months ago he started endlessly swimming in circles on one side of the tank for what seemed like hours on end. It was my sign that he has outgrown the tank he’s in and I know him and I both are anxiously awaiting the bigger tank finishing its cycle.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on the 20 gallon. I have one in my reef, no problems so far going on 3 years. I'd get one when you have the 125.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have one in each of my tanks and they bother Nothing.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting a 125 gallon reef tank, but I was told that flame angels will eat the coral. I decided to stay away from it even though it is my favorite fish. Since I really want one, would it be possible to keep it by itself in a 20 gallon I have set up. Or does it need bigger? I was referred here from r/reeftank on reddit with this question
Mine is a great mixed reef citizen. My Venusta angel on the other hand does pick at my zoas.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not keep it in a 20 gallon tank. Live Aquaria says the minimum is a 70 gallon tank. I wanted one for my 45 gallon and decided not to because of that 70 gallon requirement from LA. I am sure many people will tell you it's OK, but I tend to trust the experts at LA when it comes to minimum tank sizes. Ultimately it is your choice though.
Reef safe with caution lol

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can’t believe everything you read especially from LA
I have two flames and one was in a 50g drop off over a year and never even looks at coral. Same with my other flame

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta bring this up old thread I know but I’ve had a bunch of flame angels in 8 years ….my old tank he touched nothing complete model citizen ended up sadly dying after years….since him I’ve tried 3 times and yup they were picking at everything especially lps ….just ordered my 4th one I’m getting it very small maybe that will help….man I miss that flame he was the best fish in my tank …the other ones have been coral damaging *****s

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gotta bring this up old thread I know but I’ve had a bunch of flame angels in 8 years ….my old tank he touched nothing complete model citizen ended up sadly dying after years….since him I’ve tried 3 times and yup they were picking at everything especially lps ….just ordered my 4th one I’m getting it very small maybe that will help….man I miss that flame he was the best fish in my tank …the other ones have been coral damaging *****s
I have to be one of the luckiest- 3 flames and no issues

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be one of the luckiest- 3 flames and no issues
I know what I read majority get away with it I just miss my one angel :/….I envy you all now ….I fed them like pigs also they just loved nipping at everything and it’s not the “algae on the coral “ they were hurting them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back