"Flashing Tilefish"

reef. coffee & curly hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone kept these long-term? If so, how long and were there any methods, tank specifics, and/or feeding patterns/brands that helped with this...? I've kept purples alive for years and I know that flashing tilefish can be much more difficult. Just curious. Thanks.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that so few have chimed in on this so far. I've actually had one for a few weeks now and he/she seems to be adjusting fairly well. For now anyways. This specimen came in with a large shipment of purple tilefish. Cost me about $100 for the one specimen. I bought a bunch of stuff at the time. Was already eating and swimming out in the open. After talking to a few local reefers and some vendor buddies the basic tilefish care applies to these guys but they are simply much more sensitive. The list are as follows: a.) must have gradual light ramp up and down times to help prevent tendencies to jump from lights snapping on and off, b.) Do much better in larger groups(10 or more) and species only tanks, c.) better with other passive shy fish, d.) does best with a variety of foods and multiple feedings each day(loves ROE, will only come out of hiding for fish eggs), e.) must have a fairly solid top to prevent actually making it out of tank, f.) 3-4" open sand bed to build little burrows(has built 3 burrows like a jawfish so far). As to my original post I'm still just curious of any other predispositions, propensities, and susceptibilities of any various types one should be aware of when tending to this particular species. This guy turns yellow during feeding. And remains a dark blue to teal while traversing the interior of the rockwork. My next build may be housing many of these guys and more passive species to better acclimate.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back