Foxface never last more than a week

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last year I have tried adding a one spot foxface to my mixed reef tanks few times hoping for better luck most recently last week. Every time no matter how long I acclimate or how well I feed them, within a week they die. For the first 5 days or so they are active, eating well and great colour then they slow down, stop eating, swim in one spot, more often than not breathing heavily and sometimes will float to the surface. I’ve never noticed any signs of illness. I have nori in the tank, feed mysis and or pellets every day. There is also an air stone. Other fish in the tank include a pair of clowns, 2 mollies and a mandarin. All other fish are well and have been in the tank for 1.5 years. Tank size is 35g. Foxface have all been 2-3” with plans to upgrade tanks once it outgrows.

Tank parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 8
Phos 0.14
All 13.1
Cal 565
Mag 1401
Ph 7.94
Salinity 1.25

Adding coral vitality and phytoplankton every other day. Is my tank not mature enough (1.5 years)? Are my parameters not ideal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Over the last year I have tried adding a one spot foxface to my mixed reef tanks few times hoping for better luck most recently last week. Every time no matter how long I acclimate or how well I feed them, within a week they die. For the first 5 days or so they are active, eating well and great colour then they slow down, stop eating, swim in one spot, more often than not breathing heavily and sometimes will float to the surface. I’ve never noticed any signs of illness. I have nori in the tank, feed mysis and or pellets every day. There is also an air stone. Other fish in the tank include a pair of clowns, 2 mollies and a mandarin. All other fish are well and have been in the tank for 1.5 years. Tank size is 35g. Foxface have all been 2-3” with plans to upgrade tanks once it outgrows.

Tank parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 8
Phos 0.14
All 13.1
Cal 565
Mag 1401
Ph 7.94
Salinity 1.25

Adding coral vitality and phytoplankton every other day. Is my tank not mature enough (1.5 years)? Are my parameters not ideal?
Mag and calcium high and assuming you’re using API test kits, you may have false ammonia reading.
How are you acclimating fish to the tank and for how long?
Are any breathing rapidly prior to loss?

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag and calcium high and assuming you’re using API test kits, you may have false ammonia reading.
How are you acclimating fish to the tank and for how long?
Are any breathing rapidly prior to loss?
Using trident. They were lower at other points when I’ve added a foxface. Acclimating approximately 40 min via drop. Breathing rapid only prior to loss.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out what your lfs keeps it salt levels at
I will say if they keep it low with your alk so high your ph could be a lot higher than theirs
A big rapid change in ph can kill a fish
I would think if your alk is really 13 your ph would be higher than 7.9

I would drip it much longer than 40 minutes if this is the case

calcium and mag wouldn’t affect fish and if your had ammonium in your tank the mandarin would die too
The others fish are very tough

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Using trident. They were lower at other points when I’ve added a foxface. Acclimating approximately 40 min via drop. Breathing rapid only prior to loss.
Calcium and mag likely non impact. I’m suspecting flukes or elevated ammonia although other fish unbothered
Acvlimation May not be long enough- and also if you haven’t, prior to release, you want to assure salinity in bag matches that of display tank
You may want to consider a quarantine setup for the future

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your ph is to low it needs to come up to at least 8.2 and stay there or higher. Your alk is to high i would wait it out until you let the alk precipitate or try water changes once every other week to bring the levels down at a good rate but not to fast. Do you have a protein skimmer if so what is it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ph is not low as mine is practically the same last 5 years. Steady more important than targeted

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems very strange. My only thought is stress. Is there enough hiding spots for it?

Foxfaces can be very timid creatures. I used to work at an animal rescue and keeping an injured antelope alive was very difficult as they are very anxious animals. I feel like fox faces are the antelope of the aquarium.

Maybe also flow as they are not good at dealing with high flow?

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to experts (not me,,, Vetteguy already chimed in) but why is your alkalinity so high?
Is that intentional?
Definitely not intentional. It seems to rise and fall on its own along with the calcium. Still trying to figure out why but that more of a newer issue. So not typically what it was like before.

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems very strange. My only thought is stress. Is there enough hiding spots for it?

Foxfaces can be very timid creatures. I used to work at an animal rescue and keeping an injured antelope alive was very difficult as they are very anxious animals. I feel like fox faces are the antelope of the aquarium.

Maybe also flow as they are not good at dealing with high flow?
Flow is not to strong as I have mollies in there. There are some nice hiding places.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see an issue with your parameters at all in terms of fish. Coral - Some may be questionable but not for fish. Assuming salt is 1.025, that is.

Id be looking more towards where you are buying it from, acclimation method and any possible aggression - They tend to be extremely skittish fish and can damage themselves fairly easy with their own "fear".

I personally wouldnt put one in a 35G even temporary too - The few ive had over time have been some of the fasting growing fish ive had, growing prom penny size to 6 inches in no time.

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph is not low as mine is practically the same last 5 years. Steady more important than targeted
I dont see an issue with your parameters at all in terms of fish. Coral - Some may be questionable but not for fish. Assuming salt is 1.025, that is.

Id be looking more towards where you are buying it from, acclimation method and any possible aggression - They tend to be extremely skittish fish and can damage themselves fairly easy with their own "fear".

I personally wouldnt put one in a 35G even temporary too - The few ive had over time have been some of the fasting growing fish ive had, growing prom penny size to 6 inches in no time.
Corals all doing great. Salt is at 1.025. I purchased from a very reputable store. Everything I’ve purchased from them have thrived - except the foxface lol.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals all doing great. Salt is at 1.025. I purchased from a very reputable store. Everything I’ve purchased from them have thrived - except the foxface lol.
Seems so strange that only one fish showed issues.

OP
OP
RhondaB

RhondaB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your ph is to low it needs to come up to at least 8.2 and stay there or higher. Your alk is to high i would wait it out until you let the alk precipitate or try water changes once every other week to bring the levels down at a good rate but not to fast. Do you have a protein skimmer if so what is it.
No protein skimmer. Was told it wasn’t necessary due to the tank size and I do a 10% water change every other week or so.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back