Foxface Reef Safe?

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are foxfaces and its variants reef safe? LFS having some sales on foxfaces, thinking about picking one up. I have heard mixed things. They have a young magnificent and one spot and the regular as well. When I say "reef safe" I mean safe with Corals and Inverts.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue why they would say that. They are the staple reef fish for algae control.

Edit: they seem to say that if they get hungry they may nip corals both soft and small polyp. Ive seen some severely starved fox faces come in to the shop in the past and they never did any such thing. In my opinion they are reef safe 100% and everyone with a large enough tank to house them should have one. They are great fish , keep your tanked trimmed and get along with pretty much everything but other fox faces, and even then that depends on the individual fish

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue why they would say that. They are the staple reef fish for algae control.

That's why I was confused, apparently people have had trouble with Magnificent Foxface but I dont understand how lol. Just want to double check before I buy one

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if it was just going after tuft of algae on the plug. I can see that being misconstrued as coral nipping. Could happen i guess. I mean if i was hungry I’d do it lol.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME they have been reef safe, but I have heard of the occasional one eating zoanthids. So I'm guessing most are reef safe but not all.

Thomasj616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dc3868045c145cbaf9e98f4f2c8c79ac.jpg

I️ had mine in this 125 for years
He’s pretty much Reef safe
As said before if a new price comes in with a piece of algae it will get “nipped” at
All in all a great fish
eb6aab9381d3f1c2fbec0105cf33fb4e.jpg

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still new at this I may not be the best to give advice or suggestions, but I thought I might be able to share some of my experiences with foxfaces. I have a Foxface Lo (have had him about 7months) and a One Spot (have had him about three weeks) in a 6ft 220. I just recently added the One Spot. After a few disagreements about sleeping quarters they now get along fine. In fact, the two foxfaces and the sailfin typically cruise the tank together. I have yet to have either of them even eye any of my corals. I feed frozen and algae sheets. I one to two sheets of algae in the tank every day and it is gone every day. They are pigs when it comes to food. Also, be aware that they learn you and your feeding habits. They see me coming and wait by the clip. It's a little unnerving the first time they brush your hand. I haven't been stabbed yet, but I've definitely started to change my habits so they aren't so willing to greet me every time I stick my hand in the tank. And as for compatibility, both foxfaces are the protectors of the tank. I used to have a jerk damsel that was a known killer and it was a blast to watch the foxfaces corner him like he was being put in time out. Foxfaces are great and I've had no problems with them. As stated in the beginning, I'm still a newbie, so take everything with a grain of salt. Just thought I might share my experiences on some of my favorite fish.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are foxfaces and its variants reef safe? LFS having some sales on foxfaces, thinking about picking one up. I have heard mixed things. They have a young magnificent and one spot and the regular as well. When I say "reef safe" I mean safe with Corals and Inverts.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)
I’ve got the Magnificent and have no problems at all. Great fish.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d venture to say that ~90% of foxface end up being model reef citizens.. I have heard/ seen a few cases where a foxface wiped out a whole colony of zoanthids in a night.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a magnificent for 3 years and then he started devouring my zoas.
I’d venture to say that ~90% of foxface end up being model reef citizens.. I have heard/ seen a few cases where a foxface wiped out a whole colony of zoanthids in a night.

that's exactly my fear lol, love the look but man i dont know. Maybe the regular one's are more lenient?

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magnificent has been perfect tank citizen for the 2 years I've had him...
20171107_185754-600x1067.jpg

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's exactly my fear lol, love the look but man i dont know. Maybe the regular one's are more lenient?
I could have had the rare bad one, I don' have any experience with others, but it was quite devastating, after I sold him it has slowly started recovering.

Back