FRESHWATER HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also all my other fish in my 220 are eating so if those worms are not internal parasites then my flowerhorn had something from my lfs? He we very healthy when i got him... also yes my FH is not eating
It is Very possible fish was infected when you brought it home - Yes

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is before the rest are today. Also forgot to mention the area near he poops its white and pealing off... its weird. Also there poop sticking out. As you can see in the first pic he was pooping a lot. that pic was taken 3 days later he was in tank.

flowerhon before.JPG IMG_5350.JPEG IMG_5351.JPEG IMG_5352.JPEG IMG_5353.JPEG IMG_5354.JPEG IMG_5355.JPEG
Also, the white fuzz around the anal vent is troubling. Potentially a fungal infection, but hard to know for sure.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First pic is before the rest are today. Also forgot to mention the area near he poops its white and pealing off... its weird. Also there poop sticking out. As you can see in the first pic he was pooping a lot. that pic was taken 3 days later he was in tank.

flowerhon before.JPG IMG_5350.JPEG IMG_5351.JPEG IMG_5352.JPEG IMG_5353.JPEG IMG_5354.JPEG IMG_5355.JPEG
All the symptoms I mentioned are present on this fish- Hanging at top-bloating-sunken stomach
I sold these at my Full line pet store as well as many other cichlids. Sure signs as I suspected.

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Ok, so ammonia is not good. Your tank isn’t cycled. Water change and prime will only work for 24-48 hours. That’s what is harming your flowerhorn. Also, those worms probably hitchhiked in on your LFS’s dirty gravel. Not to mention all the gaps and spaces in gravel are a perfect breeding ground for worms to feast on trapped food. Cut back your feeding, get some bacteria in a bottle to get that tank cycled, and gravel vac VERY well.
wait wait I think you misunderstood. The gravel was dry; not from a tank. The tank is up and running for the past 2 yrs, i think its cycled. I had so many fish in that tank that were doing great but i just did not like them. I just recently saw those worms. And for my 220 its been up for 4 years. Never had any worms issue. I don't how the hell they got in my tank..

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely has some sort of parasite if his fecal manner is that white... Houston’s treatment plan is a good option. Also, prazipro depletes oxygen and can kill benifical bacteria so run a airstone and dose bacteria and prime detoxifies ammonia but it slows beneficial bacteria replication so it will essentially make your water “safer” but it will lengthen your cycle process.

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely has some sort of parasite if his fecal manner is that white... Houston’s treatment plan is a good option. Also, prazipro depletes oxygen and can kill benifical bacteria so run a airstone and dose bacteria and prime detoxifies ammonia but it slows beneficial bacteria replication so it will essentially make your water “safer” but it will lengthen your cycle process.
yes i added prazi. tmr I am getting this medication called Clear for FH

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait wait I think you misunderstood. The gravel was dry; not from a tank. The tank is up and running for the past 2 yrs, i think its cycled. I had so many fish in that tank that were doing great but i just did not like them. I just recently saw those worms. And for my 220 its been up for 4 years. Never had any worms issue. I don't how the hell they got in my tank..
Do you use the same siphon for all your tanks? Cross contamination dude... rule of thumb for saltwater and fresh....always keep separate siphons/ systems/ nets for each tank.... because if one tank crashes from something you can prevent it from happening to them all this way

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the same siphon for all your tanks? Cross contamination dude... rule of thumb for saltwater and fresh....always keep separate siphons/ systems/ nets for each tank.... because if one tank crashes from something you can prevent it from happening to them all this way
Yes now that I think of it, that's what It probably happened. I am assuming my 50 gallon cuz that's the only tank that I have fish in and out and it probably had a few worms and got in my 220 cuz i used the same siphon. The stupid thing is that I have like 4 of them. Well so in conclusion my flowerhorns problem are not those worms in my tank right? He had an issue from my lfs; just so I know cuz I am probably going to return him. And those worms in my 220 wont hurt my fish right? someone said that they are a treat? If that's true (hopefully) then I guess I am good to go?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes now that I think of it, that's what It probably happened. I am assuming my 50 gallon cuz that's the only tank that I have fish in and out and it probably had a few worms and got in my 220 cuz i used the same siphon. The stupid thing is that I have like 4 of them. Well so in conclusion my flowerhorns problem are not those worms in my tank right? He had an issue from my lfs; just so I know cuz I am probably going to return him. And those worms in my 220 wont hurt my fish right? someone said that they are a treat? If that's true (hopefully) then I guess I am good to go?

The worms you posted are not going to be an issue. Better water quality and reduced feeding will get rid of them. As for whatever is infecting your flowerhorn, unless you cross-contaminated both tanks, it shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are white as your OP said red. Could very well be Camallanus worms which typically are in tanks from Petco, walmart and petsmart due to their poor husbandry principles not to pose blame. Camallanus worms are internal, parasitic nematodes that infect fresh water fishes. As with your flowerhorn, camallanus worms live in the intestines of a fish where they attach themselves and feed off of the hosts blood.
They also come with live foods when purchased and leads as in your case to refusing food, sunken stomach/ starved appearance. Other symptoms are white stringy poop, bloated bellies and scales of the fish may stick out.
Normally infected fish may begin to hang at the top or bottom of the aquarium and remain in place for long periods of time.
Clean tank but light cleanings rather than big one which can stress the fish further. Do add a teaspoon of epsom or canning salt per 10 gallons and for treatment, pimafix (te tree) may help as will PraziPro. PraziPro would be my choice
Yes he is at the top of the tank not moving just in one place leaning to the glass. Yes added epsom salt and prazi

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hopefully looks better in the morning
IF YOU CAN INCREASE OXYGEN
Would be as simple as use of an air pump and air stone

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it normal that he changed from a super super healthy FH to what he is now. Literally yesterday he was super healthy and was eating like a pig. And his colors were amazing and bright.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is it normal that he changed from a super super healthy FH to what he is now. Literally yesterday he was super healthy and was eating like a pig. And his colors were amazing and bright.
It’s not normal, no, but it happens. Some fish can decline very quickly from stress and disease.

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that fish is in bad shape. I’d take it back to the LFS and demand your money back. Otherwise, treat with general cure which is metronidazole and praziquantel, both of which should help.

Water quality isn’t helping either. Any ammonia present means your cycle has barely started.
Wait but how??? The tank has been up and running for the past 2 years. And I am using the same media....

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With likely internal issues and no diet- definitely

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of factors.. how long was the tank empty between fish?
Well I had a butterkoferi cichlid ( for like the first year) then when i sold him I got like 15 african cichlids then I changed my mind again and sold them and I was waiting for my lfs to bring a nice FH. So the tank was fishless for 2 weeks. And then last week I got my FH and put him in there....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back