FRESHWATER HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
no diet???wdym?? I feed him Hikary gold and frozen shrimp. And then today I was going to start feeding him worms cuz I heard that they love worms but this crap happened.. smh
I thought you said it’s not eating much

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your help. So in recap i guess I don't have to do anything for my 220 right? Since those worms wont kill my fish? And for my FH i will go my my lfs and ask for a refund lets hope he accepts. He is the most selfish man on planet earth. Just curios at what age did yall start this hobby at?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your help. So in recap i guess I don't have to do anything for my 220 right? Since those worms wont kill my fish? And for my FH i will go my my lfs and ask for a refund lets hope he accepts. He is the most selfish man on planet earth. Just curios at what age did yall start this hobby at?
I’d gravel vac the 220 really well the next time you do a water change. Don’t overfeed, keep the nitrate at a reasonable level, and watch those fish for any signs of trouble.

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d gravel vac the 220 really well the next time you do a water change. Don’t overfeed, keep the nitrate at a reasonable level, and watch those fish for any signs of trouble.
yup sounds good. Really hard not to over feed with those suckers :) But yeah will do Thanks for all the advice

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And get some separate equipment or make sure to properly sanitize equipment (if having many siphons/nets/etc isn’t feasible space wis!

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow flowerhorn fan :) I don’t have one anymore but I do know many places shorten their lifespan by gross overfeeding with all kinds of unhealthy diet and additives to get colour and size. These are beautiful fish that don’t deserve to be force fed to death. Try a natural pellet without colour enhancers and cut out the prawns.

The heavy feeding has probably put strain on his organs and polluted your tank. Really get that tank sparkling, no ammonia no nitrite minimal nitrate. Recommend no gravel for now. He looks like he needs medication as well.

Once he feels better decorate the tank with gravel, some fake plants etc and he will perk up <3

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow flowerhorn fan :) I don’t have one anymore but I do know many places shorten their lifespan by gross overfeeding with all kinds of unhealthy diet and additives to get colour and size. These are beautiful fish that don’t deserve to be force fed to death. Try a natural pellet without colour enhancers and cut out the prawns.

The heavy feeding has probably put strain on his organs and polluted your tank. Really get that tank sparkling, no ammonia no nitrite minimal nitrate. Recommend no gravel for now. He looks like he needs medication as well.

Once he feels better decorate the tank with gravel, some fake plants etc and he will perk up <3
Yeah I see. I was feeding him like 5-6 Pellets of Hikary Gold ( In one day; so one pellet every couple hours). And now he is pooping white poop so I know now for sure he has internal parasites. I will remove the gravel to get rid of those worms ( it turns out they are not harmful but i still dont want them) and then I am going to treat him with Clear i will add the link below. Thanks for the advice.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clear stuff looks like a home brew, doesn’t even list the ingredients. Again lots of crazy mixes fed to these guys, I don’t know why they attract so many home lab enthusiasts.

You’ll be better off using proper medication. Treat with metro in case it’s hexamita

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clear stuff looks like a home brew, doesn’t even list the ingredients. Again lots of crazy mixes fed to these guys, I don’t know why they attract so many home lab enthusiasts.

You’ll be better off using proper medication. Treat with metro in case it’s hexamita
Wow, yikes! You’re right. It looks sketchy to say the least.

I’ll second my recommendation to just use General Cure.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some Facebook pages with very knowledgeable people you can also ask for help from.

I’ve never kept flower horns, but know many betta breeders who do since they are amazing cullinators. Most of them keep them with the same filtration as goldfish; twice what a normal setup requires and no gravel. Usually just some type of wood or terra cotta pots for hides. They are extremely smart fish with huge personalities but they do have a lot of needs. I agree with the consensus, he’s got internal parasites but I would suggest you flashlight to see if he has velvet as well. His color dropping so fast and lack of appetite makes me think with the stress it’s a major possibility. Turn the lights off and look for dust looking stuff on him.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat with metro in case it’s hexamita
Best advise so far. A cichlid that lose colours, been shy, not eating and show white stringy pop - it screams - a hexamita infection. For the books - a white stringy pop is not always a sign for internal parasites, it could be caused by starvation, change of food any of many others reason that get the internal slime cote of the intestine transported out. But combined with freshwater species (especially cichlids), shyness, refuse to eat and discolouration - I would treat with som metro based medication and it is possible to do that as a long time bath.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cshouston @Alenya @leighla wolf @vetteguy53081 @Lasse
What the heck is going on with him??????? Also the medication Clear that I am using, my friend he breeds flowerhorns and he told me to use that. Its pills that you open up and put the powder with 2 ml of water and mix it well. Then you take out the fish put him on a wet towel and using a syringe I injected it inside him. That should kill any internal parasites but i don't know if that kills hexamita? What even is that?? The last pic is his anus from yesterday when i took him out of the water. And no he does not have velvet or ich, I checked.

IMG_5394.JPEG IMG_5395.JPEG IMG_5376.jpeg

reefjonny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been several years since I've had freshwater aquariums....with that said I'd do the following:

1 - vacuum the substrate - pull all your water for the change from the rocks / substrate for water change
2 - ensure you change out filter floss or ensure you clean your sponges...whatever you're using
3 - let everything settle for a day or two prior to feeding again

A couple days later I would vacuum the rocks / substrate again to ensure you done a thorough cleaning. Most likely excessive feeding is the issue.

Hope this helps!

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cshouston @Alenya @leighla wolf @vetteguy53081 @Lasse
What the heck is going on with him??????? Also the medication Clear that I am using, my friend he breeds flowerhorns and he told me to use that. Its pills that you open up and put the powder with 2 ml of water and mix it well. Then you take out the fish put him on a wet towel and using a syringe I injected it inside him. That should kill any internal parasites but i don't know if that kills hexamita? What even is that?? The last pic is his anus from yesterday when i took him out of the water. And no he does not have velvet or ich, I checked.

IMG_5394.JPEG IMG_5395.JPEG IMG_5376.jpeg

What you’re showing in the last picture almost looks like a rectal prolapse which is from poor diet. Epsom salt baths and different food fix that. I believe someone on here commented about flowerhorns bred diets can be poor to “increase their coloration with”. However, are you running carbon currently in your tank sam?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a bad case of drowsy and secondary infection
1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons and use of maracyn 2 and/or tetracycline would be best bets
What armrest you using for filtration?

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you’re showing in the last picture almost looks like a rectal prolapse which is from poor diet. Epsom salt baths and different food fix that. I believe someone on here commented about flowerhorns bred diets can be poor to “increase their coloration with”. However, are you running carbon currently in your tank sam?
Yes I have carbon in my tank but I haven't changed it for months so its not active.

leighla wolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bad case of drowsy and secondary infection
1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons and use of maracyn 2 and/or tetracycline would be best bets
What armrest you using for filtration?
Maybe metronidazole as well? What do you think? In case he has a secondary infection and because the tank is still cycling?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back