OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you topping off the tank? I didn't see room under there for a resivoir.
If you look at the sump photos in post #4 you can see in the rear right side there is a reservoir, it hold about 4 gallons of RODI water.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank doing?

So far after close to 4 months the WB is doing fantastic, I've had a few issues along the way but not related to any of the hardware or the tank. The WB is quiet and performing every bit as good as my other system.

Had an issue with Dinos due to ULN (ultra low nutrients) but seems to be under control and close to gone. 2 SPS Acro frags have brown tips but not sure if that is due to the lighting schedule or that I had to dose nutrients for a month and they didn't like it. I've increased my brightness to 50% from 45% and taken the nutrients back to 5PPM Nitrates and 0.06PPM Phosphate. Alk is kept at 7.9, Calcium 440, Mag 1350. Now everything seems to be settling in and even have several frags that have nice crusting and growth.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My April update on the WaterBox. All is well, lots of Spring colors in this WaterBox. The fish are all doing fantastic, added two juvenile tangs (1 Yellow, 1 Purple) this week. All corals doing great, even the Acros are showing signs of good color, lots of polyp extension and encrusting. For any Tang police out there, I have a much larger system to move them too once they grow out of this system.

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

heifinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I love the tank, looking great. Having both a RSR and a WB what did you prefer about each? I didn't find much discussion regarding this and I am on the fence on both! Thanks again for the great build thread.

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I love the tank, looking great. Having both a RSR and a WB what did you prefer about each? I didn't find much discussion regarding this and I am on the fence on both! Thanks again for the great build thread.

Great question! Some random thoughts not in any order of importance...

RSR has fantastic social media presence which equates to help on nearly anything, Facebook and YouTube are loaded with content, although I expect that WB will get better in this area as they sell more. The RSR cabinet finish had a slight advantage; the edges on the doors are rounded/smoother, WB was square. WB has adjustable feet on the cabinet which is nice for leveling the tank. The WB comes with an ATO and the water top off container was bigger for a similar sized display. The WB comes with a dual return, on the RSR you need to buy new plumbing to have the same. The WB return lines were standard US schedule 80 PVC while the RSR is metric (as I recall). The drain valve on the WB is easier to quiet down, I constantly have to adjust my RSR to keep it quiet (even after 14 months). The WB prices are a bit better per gallon then RSR. The smaller WB systems are all 24" deep, while the RSR's were 20" which is a HUGE advantage for setting up your reef-scape. Its also an advantage when buying lights because some of the WB tanks get better coverage out of the width then the RSR that may be wider but may need more lights. WB filter socks are standard size so I can use $4 BRS socks instead of RSR $9 socks. RSR didn't offer a cube which is what I was attracted to from the beginning; and now, good grief, the line up of WB is amazing! Already thinking about one of these matching FRAG tanks they just announced.

Last...My SPS grows better in my WB then it does in my RSR...

The RSR is a great system, that being said if I was interested in another new system and they both made the same size including dimensions I would more then likely buy the WB over the RSR.

Last edited:

Sheldon Sebastian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome! How’s the tank running after more than year? Still liking the S1 and MP40? I’m unboxing my Waterbox 75.2 tonight! I’m considering converting the return chamber in the sump to a refugium and having an external ATO? Any thoughts?

The S1 is on line!

A bit more progress on the WB 75.2 this week, the pair of clowns are in and doing well, eating pellets and enjoying the flow! They are looking lonely though with just 2 hermits to keep them company. Speaking of flow I finally got the Vectra S1 in the sump today, that is one little beast! Its running at 50% power and that’s about all it needs. I had been using a salt mixing pump temporally while I was waiting on the S1. I can honestly say you can’t hear it running at half power and even if you take to 100% it has a slight whine and that’s it. Along with the Vortex MP40 I could easily blow well over 5,500 GPH thru this 50-gallon display tank, can you say turnover?

Had some issues with the 1st S1, the 0.75 slip thread was very loose and I had to send it back, I’ve read reviews about it and now that it happened to me I can’t believe how easy the slip came off! I ended up getting the 2nd one from my LFS and we opened the box first to make sure it was tighter, still loose but this one was much better. The first one is being returned no questions asked to Saltwater Aquarium.

The S1, MP40 and Radion is hooked up to my Reeflink. If you own EcoTech equipment and haven’t used the EcoTech Reeflink its so simple to set up and operate. I have an Apex as well but I’ve never bought the modules to operate my EcoTech items and the Reeflink is super easy. I use the Apex for everything else.

All in all I would say if you are thinking about the WB 75.2 that one Radion XR30 G4 Pro, one MP40 and the S1 is a fantastic combination. Overkill for a LPS or softie tank but perfect for SPS dominat.

I scrapped some coralline off the back wall of my RSR 525 to seed the WB; once I can see some coralline it will be my queue to begin adding some SPS. I’m still debating if I want to grow some Zoe’s in the lower flow areas on the glass.

Some more photos of my new friends, the S1 in the sump and my aquascape using LIVE rock.

DSC_3858.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg

DSC_3848.jpg

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks awesome! How’s the tank running after more than year? Still liking the S1 and MP40? I’m unboxing my Waterbox 75.2 tonight! I’m considering converting the return chamber in the sump to a refugium and having an external ATO? Any thoughts?
Sheldon, hi. Thank you! I've had my WB since early DEC 2017, so its been under 5 months. That being said, I love the EcoTech products, the S1 is a great little pump even with the thread issues that are noted in several of the reviews and the MP 40 blows a ton of water around the 75.2, I can get a wave going easily. I run a refugium on my 139 gallon system so at some point I will likely add one to the WB if Nitrate and phosphate ever get out of hand. If I do, I will go with an external chateo reactor like this one. https://reefbum.com/store/pax-bellum-arid-n18/

Sheldon Sebastian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
g5flier:
I plumbed my Waterbox 75.2 yesterday, but I wanted to ask if I need to glue the plumbing for the return nozzles??

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
g5flier:
I plumbed my Waterbox 75.2 yesterday, but I wanted to ask if I need to glue the plumbing for the return nozzles??
Congrats on the 75.2, post some photos when you can, would like to see them! You are referring to the ones in the display tank? I just wrapper a bunch of plumbers tape on them and stuck them in, they have never fallen out.

Sheldon Sebastian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, exactly what I am referring to...thank you! I’ll post some pics in the near future, I’ve completely customized the stand, you won’t recognize it...

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, exactly what I am referring to...thank you! I’ll post some pics in the near future, I’ve completely customized the stand, you won’t recognize it...
I was wondering the same thing about the return plumbing! I was afraid that if I had to much pressure, it would just blow the top T pipe off and shot straight up.

Tripptastic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking Waterbox setup! I was surprised you said the plumbing was standard US. I got a waterbox 135.4 and it was definitely not US sizes. I had to get some metric to US adapters to add a manifold on the return line.
Do you have any pictures of your modified plumbing and your manifold?

eb_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my next tank is going to be a water box. I like their sumps better than the RedSea's

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back