GHA suffocating corals

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently battling prorocentrum dinos and am making solid progress. I have a forest of GHA now, but it is now becoming problematic. It is housing stray dinos in it, while also suffocating my Xenia. Even though it is a competitor for the dinos, it is also a major nuisance. I want to get rid of a large amount, but I don't want to get rid of the film algae and Diatoms. Hand removal is extremely difficult because the xenia is quite delicate and attached to the rock. I was originally thinking flucanazole or vibrant, but there are other algaes that I really need and don't want to wipe out. Any advice? #reefsquad

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use any chemicals however in order to help : picture of tank as well as current parameters / livestock.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use any chemicals however in order to help : picture of tank as well as current parameters / livestock.

Nitrates 25,
Phosphates undetectable, likely being used by the GHA.

Current stocking is a single clownfish. Used to have hermits but they perished due to the Dino outbreak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 86

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 25,
Phosphates undetectable, likely being used by the GHA.

Current stocking is a single clownfish. Used to have hermits but they perished due to the Dino outbreak.
Looks good , gha is better than Dino’s in my book lol. I would increase phosphates either by feeding more or using neophos (which would actually lower nitrate) . No phosphate could mean return of Dino’s , it’s probly bound in the GHA. I think all you need is a cuc at this point and keep on having nutrient water

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good , gha is better than Dino’s in my book lol. I would increase phosphates either by feeding more or using neophos (which would actually lower nitrate) . No phosphate could mean return of Dino’s , it’s probly bound in the GHA. I think all you need is a cuc at this point and keep on having nutrient water

I was considering a CUC but I’m a little worried about the toxins, because my species of dinos are nasty af. I had to remove my sand bed Bc of them. I don’t regret it tho, bare bottom looks pretty good.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good scrubbing around corals and rinse in water change water. I see coraline trying to poke through it should only take 2-3 weeks of doing this to get a good handle on things.
Then weekly/biweekly water changes and regular cleaning to keep up on things.
Id be willing to bet you will begin to detect phosphate in the midst of all that.
Right now it hard to really say what your params are and where it will all balance out with all the nuisance algae.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering a CUC but I’m a little worried about the toxins, because my species of dinos are nasty af. I had to remove my sand bed Bc of them. I don’t regret it tho, bare bottom looks pretty good.
I would still get some snails / hermit crabs. Yes some may be lost but most will be fine, I kept my cuc during Dino’s ,Running carbon helps

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back