Go big or go home

Welcome to R2R
Now that's something I have to see
ZomboMeme 23022021132757.jpg
 
10,000 gallons?!? Thats only a little bit smaller than what I have in my back garden...

... and that's a swimming pool - which is a whole other level of chemistry complexity for me to try to balance!

(I thought pool water chemistry was complicated..... so I fixed that by setting up a reef tank...)
 
Welcome to Reef 2 reef!! Definitely sounds like a job for some high quality, thick acrylic!! Not sure what to do for a stand this large but I’m sure others can educate us both on materials regarding 10,000 gallon tank stands ;Bookworm;Bookworm;Drool

I have a query thread in the DIY forum:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/10-000-gallon-moat-in-a-geodesic-dome.813648/
There won't be a stand, no way I would engineer an 85,000 lb stand. It will be buried in the grround with a two-foot earthbag retaining wall to keep the water in place. I'll have two buttresses spanning the interior as well. The acrylic window is definitely the weak link here.
 
Welcome to Reef 2 reef!! Definitely sounds like a job for some high quality, thick acrylic!! Not sure what to do for a stand this large but I’m sure others can educate us both on materials regarding 10,000 gallon tank stands ;Bookworm;Bookworm;Drool

The acrylic I have is 1cm thick. 0.39 inches. Not sure that is enough? I hope so.
 
I have a query thread in the DIY forum:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/10-000-gallon-moat-in-a-geodesic-dome.813648/
There won't be a stand, no way I would engineer an 85,000 lb stand. It will be buried in the grround with a two-foot earthbag retaining wall to keep the water in place. I'll have two buttresses spanning the interior as well. The acrylic window is definitely the weak link here.
Are you selling king crab quotas on your sea? I’d like the rights to fish a few hundred pounds.
 
Welcome to the community, can’t wait to see this build thread. The stand will need t be Mother Earth, make sure to have some soil borings done.
I agree on your choice of stand. Thanks for the tip about soil boring. If it's anything like the last one I built, the soild profile is 6 inches of sad, gray "soil" followed by eleventy thousand feed of hard packed red clay.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new