Golden Dwarf Moray Eel Quarantine

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I got super lucky and will be purchasing a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel from a LFS here and was wondering about quarantine methods. I reviewed some quarantine threads and have done so before for fish, but never for eels. I want to make sure that I do this right the first time around, especially considering how spendy these guys are. Can any of the Eel gurus on here please enlighten me on the proper quarantine method for said eel and treatments?

Thanks guy!

Aaron

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait on the eel guy's to weigh in as well, but I agree that CP would be ideal. I have done TTM on a snowflake eel without issue. He didn't eat the entire time, but once he went into the display he was healthy, happy and started eating like a pig in no time.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd simply QT and observe before exposing it to any meds but CP is the best bet for morays if you want to go preventive. I had a pair of Golden Dwarfs for a few years in a 65. They may be small in size but they're still a Gymnothorax sp and behave accordingly.

@Humblefish sorry for slow response. Been in the process of moving. Don't know if you saw my thread on BRK but had a crash with 100% fatalities (talking everything down to the pods, bristleworms, aips...) Thinking some sort of chemical got into the brutes I used to house everything.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish sorry for slow response. Been in the process of moving. Don't know if you saw my thread on BRK but had a crash with 100% fatalities (talking everything down to the pods, bristleworms, aips...) Thinking some sort of chemical got into the brutes I used to house everything.

OMG. :eek: You lost your gigs and everything?!

Did you try to move the old sand and possibly some hydrogen sulfide got released??

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd simply QT and observe before exposing it to any meds but CP is the best bet for morays if you want to go preventive. I had a pair of Golden Dwarfs for a few years in a 65. They may be small in size but they're still a Gymnothorax sp and behave accordingly.

I'm sorry to hear about your crash! That's terrible.

If CP is the best method for treatments for Morays, would you say I should hold off on that as well? So overall, just quarantine and observe for awhile? And what symptoms should I keep an eye out for and when would I go ahead and treat with the CP?

Thank you for the input.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your crash! That's terrible.

If CP is the best method for treatments for Morays, would you say I should hold off on that as well? So overall, just quarantine and observe for awhile? And what symptoms should I keep an eye out for and when would I go ahead and treat with the CP?

Thank you for the input.
I would recommend you treat -- eels are notorious carriers of disease they show no symptoms for. As prevalent as ich and velvet are right now (equally prevalent) it's not a risk I would take. Eels are notorious "Typhoid Mary's"

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you treat -- eels are notorious carriers of disease they show no symptoms for. As prevalent as ich and velvet are right now (equally prevalent) it's not a risk I would take. Eels are notorious "Typhoid Mary's"

So best method for treatment would be the CP then? Should I use any of the various antibiotics or what not?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, everything in both tanks. Only survivors were the 2 Akindynos clowns and a Cuke I brought to Aquahut before the transfer. No sand transferred and no water used after disturbing the sand. Two separate containers. Rubbermaid stock tank held fish and rock with corals and nems. Rubbermaid Brute held rock only. Stock tank went down first, brute seemed OK but a few hours later it was the same. They were at the in-laws house while I was in mine for the last night so I don't have a timeline of decline.

I ordered the new 96" tank today so I'll be back in the game in a month or so. Starting my nem search tonight.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So best method for treatment would be the CP then? Should I use any of the various antibiotics or what not?

Yes. And no to antibiotics. No need to use them unless you have an infection, IMO.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were at the in-laws house while I was in mine for the last night so I don't have a timeline of decline.

In-laws spray something nearby they shouldn't have? o_O I wouldn't press the issue too hard with them though. What's done is done. So sorry for your losses, my friend. :(

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In-laws spray something nearby they shouldn't have? o_O I wouldn't press the issue too hard with them though. What's done is done. So sorry for your losses, my friend. :(

This saddens me. I've had a few close calls and know how upset I was. Can only imagine how this would feel. I'm sorry! ;(

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is TTM effective on eels? I'm assuming so but it just feels odd in comparison.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is TTM effective on eels? I'm assuming so but it just feels odd in comparison.

For ich, yes. You just need a couple of tight fitting lids. ;)

The problem with doing TTM on an eel is they will almost never show signs of velvet. So, you really need to run an eel thru CP if you want to be sure it is free of ectoparasites.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ich, yes. You just need a couple of tight fitting lids. ;)

The problem with doing TTM on an eel is they will almost never show signs of velvet. So, you really need to run an eel thru CP if you want to be sure it is free of ectoparasites.
What is TTM?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @tyler1503 @Bob Loblaw
So I've reviewed a lot of info on the CP treatment and am lest with a few questions. If I treat my Golden Dwarf with the CP, at the end of the 30 days, what other treatment would be advised? Should I only do the 30 day CP treatment, observe during that time, then call it good and throw him in the display? And would this CP treatment be advised for other specimens such as a Flame Angel? Thanks!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've reviewed a lot of info on the CP treatment and am lest with a few questions. If I treat my Golden Dwarf with the CP, at the end of the 30 days, what other treatment would be advised? Should I only do the 30 day CP treatment, observe during that time, then call it good and throw him in the display? And would this CP treatment be advised for other specimens such as a Flame Angel? Thanks!
CP works for flame angels as well. I would always observe. Some might say treat with prazi for flukes but I personally wouldn't worry about since DT can be treated with prazi.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP works for flame angels as well. I would always observe. Some might say treat with prazi for flukes but I personally wouldn't worry about since DT can be treated with prazi.

Back