Hanna Checker

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some Hanna Chekers as I have heard they are quite good, any suggestions on the best ones & other tests that will be better for other tests. Currently using API like a noobie and I absolutely hate it because I can never figure out which color is which.

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use a hanna Phosphate checker as Po4 is hard to read I have cross checked it and it is spot on. As for others I dont know. But beware of the nitrate checker unless you have a lot of time to waste.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I have experimented with the Hanna checkers: Phosphate, nitrate, copper, and Alk. and like them. Easy to use and I feel they give a better result but I also use my other test kits because I still have enough to keep testing. Those are salifert and red sea.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 tests back to back with the nitrate checker, could not even come close to each other. That thing should never have been made. It's fine as long as your below 5ppm, the dilution steps messes everything up.

I liken the nitrate checker to the calcium checker. While they work, I would never rely on them for an actual reading.

Forgot about the copper checker as I never use copper, but have read it reads well enough.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 tests back to back with the nitrate checker, could not even come close to each other. That thing should never have been made. It's fine as long as your below 5ppm, the dilution steps messes everything up.

I liken the nitrate checker to the calcium checker. While they work, I would never rely on them for an actual reading.

Forgot about the copper checker as I never use copper, but have read it reads well enough.

Agree, that is why I am still testing the test kits against the Hanna...the two I like the most, copper and phosphate kits.

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the ALK for quite some time now. been very happy with it. Just make sure you get the calibration fluid to check every so often. i think I will be getting the Cal. soon as I think it will be an easier and quicker test than the salifert. Even though the salifert tests have yet to let me down.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a variety of test kits. Really like the Hanna Checkers for Alk and ULR PO4. For Magnesium I use Aqua Forest test kit (have had accuracy issues with most other brands of Mg test). For Nitrate I just switched to Nyos and am very happy with it. Red Sea for Calcium, Ammonia and Nitrite (although I rarely test for NH3 or NO3 once a tank is cycled). I don't treat Copper enough to justify the expense of a Hanna Checker so I use a SeaChem kit for that.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back