Hello from Greensboro, NC!

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm not far from G'boro myself, and often go to check out the local fish stores in the area. I just recently got back into the hobby myself (almost six months ago) after being away for about a decade. Lots of changes since then! You'll love this forum. Fantastic resources here and many helpful people in the community.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm relatively new to the hobby, starting with a 5 gallon pico reef due to space constraints in my living arrangements, but I'm super excited to be getting back into reefing! I have never owned a reef of my own, but my family had a 120 gallon reef aquarium when I was growing up. I was absolutely captivated by it when I was young, sitting in front of the tank for hours after school each day. I developed a real love of the sea and marine life, and took a job after college where I actually worked as an environmental educator. In that job I also took care of my workplace's aquariums, a 200 gallon square, 40 gallon, five 20 gallons, and 10 gallon, primarily brackish aquariums where we housed wildlife from the estuary nearby, but a freshwater and proper saltwater as well. Learned a lot, loved that job, kept fish, inverts, algae, and the like, but didn't get a chance to really keep corals, other than a gorgonian that had washed up after a storm. That job whetted my appetite, and after a year of moves and uncertain living situations, I finally feel comfortable enough to finally get a reef of my own!
I'm right around the corner in High Point. I'm pretty friendly with all of the coral connections in the area. Reach out if you need anything!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
Goofy Movie Hello GIF

OP
OP
LegalReefer

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I'm not far from G'boro myself, and often go to check out the local fish stores in the area. I just recently got back into the hobby myself (almost six months ago) after being away for about a decade. Lots of changes since then! You'll love this forum. Fantastic resources here and many helpful people in the community.

Awesome! Which stores in the area do you like best? It certainly seems like an incredible forum, so much wisdom and knowledge!

I'm right around the corner in High Point. I'm pretty friendly with all of the coral connections in the area. Reach out if you need anything!

Wonderful! Really appreciate it. Would love to know if you have any advice for a first-time coral keeper. I'm excited to get started, made a build thread of my first tank, and would love some thoughts on what I can and should be trying to keep as a newbie. Would love some coral connections, especially for mushrooms or toadstools!

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Which stores in the area do you like best? It certainly seems like an incredible forum, so much wisdom and knowledge!

Wonderful! Really appreciate it. Would love to know if you have any advice for a first-time coral keeper. I'm excited to get started, made a build thread of my first tank, and would love some thoughts on what I can and should be trying to keep as a newbie. Would love some coral connections, especially for mushrooms or toadstools!
I love Reef Architects and Triad Reef Critters. My favorites are Queen City Corals, Nemo's Reef, and Under the Sea in Mint Hill, Charlotte, Indian Trail area.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm relatively new to the hobby, starting with a 5 gallon pico reef due to space constraints in my living arrangements, but I'm super excited to be getting back into reefing! I have never owned a reef of my own, but my family had a 120 gallon reef aquarium when I was growing up. I was absolutely captivated by it when I was young, sitting in front of the tank for hours after school each day. I developed a real love of the sea and marine life, and took a job after college where I actually worked as an environmental educator. In that job I also took care of my workplace's aquariums, a 200 gallon square, 40 gallon, five 20 gallons, and 10 gallon, primarily brackish aquariums where we housed wildlife from the estuary nearby, but a freshwater and proper saltwater as well. Learned a lot, loved that job, kept fish, inverts, algae, and the like, but didn't get a chance to really keep corals, other than a gorgonian that had washed up after a storm. That job whetted my appetite, and after a year of moves and uncertain living situations, I finally feel comfortable enough to finally get a reef of my own!
Wow - Welcome!! I, too, used to be an educator at an environmental center in Ga. Taking care of all of those critters is something that stays with you. Congrats on dipping your toe in. Just remember that bad things happen very fast in a pico - stay vigilant.
Bill Murray Reaction GIF

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you bring a lot of experience. But Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

OP
OP
LegalReefer

LegalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - Welcome!! I, too, used to be an educator at an environmental center in Ga. Taking care of all of those critters is something that stays with you. Congrats on dipping your toe in. Just remember that bad things happen very fast in a pico - stay vigilant.
Bill Murray Reaction GIF
It definitely is something that sticks with you, some of those estuarine critters are absolutely incredible, and often so full of personality! Thank you, I'll be vigilant. I've got a build thread up, and am trying to get the thing cycling properly, but have a lot of live rock and live sand in there, enough so that the water quality is actually remaining fairly good, leaving me confused. Did you run the tanks at your facility too?

Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you bring a lot of experience. But Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
I make it sound as if I have far more experience than I really do; to call me a novice would not be wholly inaccurate! While I may value the hobby, I'm not all that experienced, especially with saltwater and reef environs. I'm going to be leaning on this community a lot for advice!

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll take a look and PM you!

Back