Hello from Kansas!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer here and I live in Wichita, KS.

Where in Ks are you?

I’m in Wichita as well. Welcome [emoji1]
I grew up in McPherson, now I visit my buddy in Wichita a couple times a year. Funny now that I live in NC, I mention Kansas and get funny looks like nobody should live there!

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I have always loved axolotls. I plan on starting up a tank one day to have them. I used to have a tarantula but my now husband doesn't like spiders lol.
Axolotls are a lot of fun :) I'm going to be making a youtube video soon on the care of them, and I have a short one up now of redoing my tarantulas set up! I'm very lucky that my boyfriend doesn't mind the spiders, so long as they can't get out.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Chameleons are super cool! In addition to the two future big tanks I have planned (one 180+ gallon reef aquarium and the other a ~120 gallon altum angelfish tank) I hope to one day have a parrot and a koi pond :) household zoos for the win! I currently have a betta aquarium, reef aquarium, betta sorority aquarium, and a cat :D
That's so neat! Herman (my chameleon) is on the older side, but he's still such an interesting guy. I used to have two bettas, but when I moved, I lost both of them due to stress....

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif

I had a chameleon way back when, and then a bearded dragon. Unfortunately two kids came about and I no longer could keep reptiles, so it's just the reef tank now :) Any pictures of your chameleon?
I can't find any pictures of Herman on my computer, but I have a whole video on his care on my youtube if you want to check it out! Here's a link:

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer here and I live in Wichita, KS.

Where in Ks are you?
Oh neat! I'll be down there in late February for a performance; are there any cool lfs to check out? I'm from Topeka, but live in Lawrence now since I go to KU

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The chameleon sounds cool...the tarantula is just creepy, lol.
Herman's really neat! I posted a video of him in a different reply in this thread if you want to see him. The tarantulas (now plural) are definitely not for everyone, but they helped me conquer my fear of spiders and I really love them now

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! :)

Looking forward to a build thread once you start setting up... and the more pets the better IMO. :)
Definitely! I have a video up on my youtube of a coral unboxing I did, but tbh I'm having such a bad hair algae problem right now that I don't want to post pics of the tank anywhere.... If I count each fish I have, I'm at 17 pets, plus a colony of feeder roaches haha

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Kenzie! I too started in the herpetology world before moving to reef keeping and spent a lot of time herping in Western Arkansas, having grown up in Tulsa, OK.
That's really neat! I think there are a lot of similarities between the two hobbies in terms of careful upkeep, large variety of pets, etc. so they're both a lot of fun and a good challenge for me.

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in McPherson, now I visit my buddy in Wichita a couple times a year. Funny now that I live in NC, I mention Kansas and get funny looks like nobody should live there!
Crazy story: one of my best friends is from Mac, and a kid that I have classes with now in college is too

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! I have a video up on my youtube of a coral unboxing I did, but tbh I'm having such a bad hair algae problem right now that I don't want to post pics of the tank anywhere.... If I count each fish I have, I'm at 17 pets, plus a colony of feeder roaches haha
For what it’s worth... we all have had algae issues of all kinds, and it’s what helps us grow as help others. It’s also nice to be able to show someone who is struggling where you were and where you came from. Embrace the ugly, and keep pressing on. Don’t be embarrassed about GHA... post pictures anyway! It’s such a satisfying hobby, and part of that satisfaction, I think, is looking back to see the progress (which happens slowly enough it’s hard to realize it!)

You should link your unboxing video here. :)

OP
OP
Kenzie Jeanine

Kenzie Jeanine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those interested, here's a link to my one video that shows my tank.... I'm honestly really embarrassed by how bad the hair algae is, but I figure the only way to get help is to ask; I'm also really happy with the corals I unboxed in this video and wanted to share them!

KCSUMPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My name's Kenzie, and I'm brand new to reefing. I've had freshwater tanks since I was three (17 years) but have only recently been able to start my first saltwater tank.
Other than fish, I have three axolotls, a chameleon, two snakes, three geckos, a cat, and a baby tarantula. I'm going to school for French horn performance and I'm in my third year of my degree; I should be graduating in the spring of 2019!

I'm really excited to be here, get to know everyone, and learn a lot!

Hello Kenzie! Also in KC (overland park)...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back