Hello - old aquarist trying to get back into it

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 Oceanic tank with saltwater fish and some easy corals for years. (sadly killed alot of cute fish over the years). Sold the tank and house and move aboard a boat for 12 yrs...now back on dirt and looking to setup another tank. WOW things have changed...my old Metal Halide lights appear to have gone out of favor. My sump with blue bio-balls appears to be old school too.
I am surprised how hard it is to find a good fish/coral store in Florida. So far one store is advising against rimless tanks (owner has seen too many seal failures) and the other store is 15-25% higher than online. Today I went to shop for a Eshopps S-200 skimmer and the shop is $70 higher than Eshopps website.
Anyway...I am gonna figure this out and hope to have a tank 90-120 gallon with some fish by Christmas.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Peace River - if you are in/near Peace River - what shops to do you recommend? I am not far from Punta Gorda

Yes, I am in the Peace River watershed, but not necessarily near Punta Gorda. @Ron Reefman and @dbl are a little south of you and may have a better knowledge of LFSs in your area.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 180 Oceanic tank with saltwater fish and some easy corals for years. (sadly killed alot of cute fish over the years). Sold the tank and house and move aboard a boat for 12 yrs...now back on dirt and looking to setup another tank. WOW things have changed...my old Metal Halide lights appear to have gone out of favor. My sump with blue bio-balls appears to be old school too.
I am surprised how hard it is to find a good fish/coral store in Florida. So far one store is advising against rimless tanks (owner has seen too many seal failures) and the other store is 15-25% higher than online. Today I went to shop for a Eshopps S-200 skimmer and the shop is $70 higher than Eshopps website.
Anyway...I am gonna figure this out and hope to have a tank 90-120 gallon with some fish by Christmas.
welcome, and good luck shopping, it's a tangled mess out there. Tons of people have successful rimless tanks. There's far more collective knowledge here than one LFS will ever have.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Check Orlando as they have a superstore and several others.

1592271365345.png

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family! Make sure to start a build thread in the member tank forums. It’s a great way to track the progress of your tank

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.
Indeed many changes and you have many new changes to discover. Luckily many of those changes made it easier (hmmmm!) To run a tank. Many schools of thoughts on how to go and what to dose so enjoy learning things and setting your mind on how to proceed. It's a great community and people will machine in with their experience if u start a build thread.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back