Hello, world!

sassmastawillis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Looking about getting into the reefing hobby, as its something I've always wanted to do and can now invest in a large tank with the new place I moved to. I've been lurking on a few of these aquarium forums for a while now, and posting now to introduce myself and start interacting with the community.
I had smaller freshwater tanks (20-30 gallons) for 5-6 years, but none in the past 2-3 years. Spent the last couple of years getting into the poison dart frog hobby and its been really rewarding! (anyone else interested should check out dendroboard).
I live in Charleston SC, and I know there a decent sized reefing community here. I'm planning on starting out with a 40b setup, but still doing my research on what to put in it, and where to set it up in my house. Love getting into new hobbies, and very excited to finally get my own reef!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1a-Welcome Aboard.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dominic Sakon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Hi everyone! Looking about getting into the reefing hobby, as its something I've always wanted to do and can now invest in a large tank with the new place I moved to. I've been lurking on a few of these aquarium forums for a while now, and posting now to introduce myself and start interacting with the community.
I had smaller freshwater tanks (20-30 gallons) for 5-6 years, but none in the past 2-3 years. Spent the last couple of years getting into the poison dart frog hobby and its been really rewarding! (anyone else interested should check out dendroboard).
I live in Charleston SC, and I know there a decent sized reefing community here. I'm planning on starting out with a 40b setup, but still doing my research on what to put in it, and where to set it up in my house. Love getting into new hobbies, and very excited to finally get my own reef!
Just take your time with the set up, fight all those instincts telling you your tank can handle a ton of stuff right away. My most recent tank I let dark cycle for 4 months before adding anything and it really made the whole maturation easier, I wouldn'f do less than a month though. Another piece of advice, find someone (or 2 people) you trust and can see they have a nice system and go to them for advice. Asking for advice on FB and even on here you're going to get so much crap advice from people who haven't even been in the hobby a long time and just watched all of BRS's videos so think they know everything lol Idk about r2r nowadays but FB groups I've been in are terrible with this stuff. Have fun!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back