Help, 1 month in and no luck

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I thought what I had was a velvet outbreak approx a month ago. I have been treating with copper safe the entire time. I got a Hanna checker about 3 weeks ago to monitor the copper level. I cannot kick whatever my fish have, is this velvet or I am I dealing with something else? The spots almost come out to a point.

IMG_8612.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you by chance done a FW dip?

It does appear velvet like at first glance. After I noticed your hand in the pic and how large this fish is those spots may be too big to be velvet.

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you by chance done a FW dip?

It does appear velvet like at first glance. After I noticed your hand in the pic and how large this fish is those spots may be too big to be velvet.
Yes, i’ve done dips with no luck. Just did another one tonight and the fish are in a Ruby’s reef rally bath at the moment. They flash and scratch every so often. Here are some additional photos, one being on my Sailfin and the other being a zoomed out photo of my purple for a better idea of the size. Could it be flukes? They don’t seem to disappear when I do a FW dip.

6B66CF7D-B34B-4995-8B90-DC7BEABF59B0.jpeg 57CB5333-DB78-430D-901A-352D9305267F.jpeg

IMG_8612.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely not velvet.

Not sure if it is a negative reaction to copper. It could be bacterial or viral. Sometimes Kanaplex+Metroplex will clear this up if it's bacterial. This is what Humblefish would call the "mystery disease".

OP
OP
Cmarez93

Cmarez93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely not velvet.

Not sure if it is a negative reaction to copper. It could be bacterial or viral. Sometimes Kanaplex+Metroplex will clear this up if it's bacterial. This is what Humblefish would call the "mystery disease".

So you suggest pulling out the copper then? I have kana, metro and Furan on hand so can I start dosing that. Just the intermittent flashing made me think that this was parasitic and not bacterial.

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW , They look really embedded as anchor worms do in koi . In koi treatments they use a product like Dimilin which is a drug that interferes with chitin production . If this is an embedded crustacean , they manually remove them by putting a potassium permagnate( strong oxidizer) solution on top of them (spot treatment) causing them to release. . And adding dimlin to kill free swimming” worms” . Sorry that does not look easy to eradicate but definitely contagious to any fish in or going in that tank. Dimilin added will probably kill many invertebrates. Hate to say but a do over or restart on the tank . But before I scare you off with that initial thinking , I would try a formalin dip and then transferring to a new Hospital tank so that they don’t become reinfected. Sort of like treating and then leaving what released behind . So hard to tell what you need to do since copper had no effect. The other drug to try ( guessing ) would be chloroquine ( ick shield ) . The last last resort would be a very dilute Dylox . Unfortunately Dylox is like bringing in the nukes and don’t know if the patient will survive. Hopefully Humblefish or someone else with experience will chime in . http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat528.html. Is a quick look at treating koi anchorworms

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wowkuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the fix here? I think my fish have the same thing.

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates ? Others have similar issues what has been your plan of attack ? That goes for Wowkuh too!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back