HELP ASAP.Adding Anemone to tank, Afraid of disease.

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I placed this as an emergency is because I really need answers as soon as possible… my girlfriend ordered me a green king tenticle anemone. Very nice gesture, but the overthinking nut job I am can’t pass the thought that maybe it’s carrying a disease. It is from fragbox, and I really don’t have the means to quarantine it as I don’t have anything required to do so and didn’t know it was coming because it was a gift… csn somebody let me know what they think I should do ? I also can’t dip it because apparently inverts die with revive because they absorb it.. I’m currently dripping it to match my tanks partagées and heat.

72265553376__AA0688E9-C7A3-45C8-9FDA-84243AE0046A.jpeg 72265554925__FD924025-C14C-48D5-9C44-7A905183D629.jpeg IMG_2381.jpeg image.jpg

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not too many diseases that can come on anemones, I’ve had many ordered in and never spread anything or caused problems to my coral. Definitely cannot be carrying anything that can affect fish.

I personally wouldn’t worry, look him over well and call it a day.

OP
OP
iwnltom

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s not too many diseases that can come on anemones, I’ve had many ordered in and never spread anything or caused problems to my coral. Definitely cannot be carrying anything that can affect fish.

I personally wouldn’t worry, look him over well and call it a day.
Okay thank you so much ! Really eased my worrying. There was this little brown ball of goo that came in the bag with it, I looked at it and couldn’t figure out what it was. But what should I be looking for ? Obvious spots or discolouring ? Or just legit parasites lol

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you so much ! Really eased my worrying. There was this little brown ball of goo that came in the bag with it, I looked at it and couldn’t figure out what it was. But what should I be looking for ? Obvious spots or discolouring ? Or just legit parasites lol
The brown is just poo or zooxanthelle expelled by the anemone. It’s fine.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chill out place in a area not touching or close to corals and let it settle. Just let it do it’s own thing it will eventually settle. I have never had no problems of illnesses from anemones into the tanks . Good luck with your anemone

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will move around and find a home. It can expand and be large. It will retract and get super small. I had a anemone am that was 8+“ in the day time and at night it would suck completely into rock crevices that were about 1”

Totally normal.

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never personally seen any sort of disease or parasite on anemones, they seem to have a very good natural resistance to illness and it’s pretty impossible for anything to survive their stinging cells. I personally wouldn’t be worried, but watch for the nem being unhappy in your tank such as not opening for longer than 24-48hours, shrivelling, discolouration etc. this doesn’t mean anything contagious, just that a parameter is off and stressing it out. If it’s open nicely then don’t worry much.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back