Help! Emergency! Green star polyps with no light.

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Currently panicking and in an emergency right now. My lights just popped caused by a short circuit in my house somewhere, somehow busting my lights. Ive ordered a new set of lights and its on the way right now. I have only a green star polyp in my tank now and its closed right now since theres no light to it. Can I know how long can GSPs survive without light before it dies? And how do I know if its dead? Its on a frag plug right now, still purple mat, just closed.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but im guessing corals getting shipped around country and even the world for 4- 5 days or more and survive so if order new lights and get them asap on next day or within few days then shouldnt be a problem and as for how to see if they dead,they just melt away dont they ?
But either way try stay calm as its out your control now anyway,only thing you can do is wait for new lights to come or borrow off a local reefer or buy some cheap ones at the lfs and keep as spare but just try keep calm as possible which is hard i know as ive had lights fail on me on freshwater planted and my head was done in at first but then realised im powerless and just need wait ^_^
Hopefully lights come soon for you

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but im guessing corals getting shipped around country and even the world for 4- 5 days or more and survive so if order new lights and get them asap on next day or within few days then shouldnt be a problem and as for how to see if they dead,they just melt away dont they ?
But either way try stay calm as its out your control now anyway,only thing you can do is wait for new lights to come or borrow off a local reefer or buy some cheap ones at the lfs and keep as spare but just try keep calm as possible which is hard i know as ive had lights fail on me on freshwater planted and my head was done in at first but then realised im powerless and just need wait ^_^
Hopefully lights come soon for you
You've got a good point on the shipping part hahaha didn't think of that. Do they really just "melt" away? It sounds unnatural to me. The lights should come in around 2-3 days from now maybe. Worst case scenario is 7 days :/ . I cant get to my LFS since its lockdown here so Im just hoping on online services

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: maybe go around all electrical outlets and test anything thats plugged in as all your reef equipment is on plugs so on a ring main.or if concerned call an electrician to come check it out,but maybe just a one off and a over load but you wouldnt want new lights to do same right ?
Are you over loading to many plugs into 1 or 2 outlets ?as i know some can have 10 plus plugs on all equipment we use
Lights,skimmer,2-3 powerheads,ato,return pump,2 heaters, is 8 for me and im only new and just started so not got into all tje tech yet so sure more to come lol

Last edited:

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're GSP should be fine with no light for an extended period of time. Not only did they survive the meteor that hit earth many millions of years ago, nuclear test bombings out in the middle of the ocean, and survive in a brute trash can for around 3 weeks with no light no water movement and nasty water.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup no panic. And if things do happen. I’m sure a ton of us who live close will have a lot more gsp for you

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: maybe go around all electrical outlets and test anything thats plugged in as all your reef equipment is on plugs so on a ring main.or if concerned call an electrician to come check it out,but maybe just a one off and a over load but you wouldnt want new lights to do same right ?
Are you over loading to many plugs into 1 or 2 outlets ?as i know some can have 10 plus plugs on all equipment we use
Lights,skimmer,2-3 powerheads,ato,return pump,2 heaters, is 8 for me and im only new and just started so not got into all tje tech yet so sure more to come lol
I tested the plug with my freshwater light and it seemed fined. I literally heard my marine lights "pop" as its close to my desk. So Im pretty sure the plug is fine, just somehow the lights just busted on me. Maybe it was just a spike caused by the short circuit in my house somewhere.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're GSP should be fine with no light for an extended period of time. Not only did they survive the meteor that hit earth many millions of years ago, nuclear test bombings out in the middle of the ocean, and survive in a brute trash can for around 3 weeks with no light no water movement and nasty water.
Wow I didnt know that! haha thanks for taking off the weight on my shoulders as I was really worried. These corals really are hardy.

Morphinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely couldn’t kill those GSP if you tried. I took down an old tank with a rock of GSP and left the rock in a trash bin with a bit of water for about 4 months trying to give it away and the dang things were still open and ready to go.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely couldn’t kill those GSP if you tried. I took down an old tank with a rock of GSP and left the rock in a trash bin with a bit of water for about 4 months trying to give it away and the dang things were still open and ready to go.
My god they really are that unkillable huh?!?!!? Thanks for the info my man

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the cockroaches of reefing. Keep them in the sand, or a separate rock island, or they will be everywhere.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I've seen people mention GSP surviving numerous situations such as this on here. Also remember that things happen in the wild that can cause coral to be out of water or without light for weeks at a time and it'll be just fine...especially GSP.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gsp grows like a carpet over the substrate. An island doesn’t stop it.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK. I have two frags of GSP in my QT tank that opened up when I picked them up and I haven't seen them open up for at least 1-2 months. Clove (or Daisy) Polyp next to them are fine and the Spirorbid Worm are growing to plague levels.

So, not impossible to kill...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back