Help! I can't get it open

exspecialle

Aquasavant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago i bought a colony of gpe from a local store. In their tank this piece was completely open. In my tank I have not been able to get more than maybe a quarter of them to open. When i purchased them i did as i have always done all my corals first float,then drip,then dip in logul iodide and add them to my tank under only actinics. This has worked on everthing but these. I have tried everything I know to do I have had them on the bottom and the top everywhere in between. I have adjusted my water flow down and back up agian(however they are doing better in the current). My ph, salinity, alkilnity,ammonia,and nitrate levels are all within parameters.Is there anything i can do?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say within parameters, what do you mean (had someone tell me once he figured a dKH of 19 was within range...)?

How are the other things in your tank looking? Are these just closed, or are they skinning over (and working on sloughing off)? How long do you leave them in a given location before moving them? I've had some open as soon as I put them in the tank and some that took weeks to a month (and usually lost part of the colony). If all parameters are good and there are no pests (nudis, spiders, etc), it may just be time. What kind of rock are the mounted on? I've gotten some colonies from LFS's that were started on man made concrete rocks in coral shapes. For some reason, all that I've gotten on these types of rocks die over time (unless removed from the rocks). I've also experienced issues with die off on acro skeletons on larger colonies. This is usually because of some sort of sponge (usually black sponge) dying off inside the rock and leaching out to kill the zoas. Fragging to 'dilute' the sponge die off (i.e., spread it out more in the tank) might help. Rambling, but hope that helps...

OP
OP
exspecialle

exspecialle

Aquasavant
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well everything else in my tank looks perfectly fine all open all the way with the execption of the guys. Since you brought up the matter of mounting the whole colony is on lr with corline alge but i did remove some stuff that was attached to the bottom of the rock and i dont have any idea what it was. It was sponge like and had more pieces of rubble stuk in it but that was 2 weeks ago with little change

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back