HELP, Kessil a80 or Kessil 160?

striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I need some help and was hoping someone can help me out. I have a 10 gallon aqueon tank (from petco) and I intend to make that an anemone tank, my struggle is deciding which light is best, would a Kessil a80 be enough or should I go with a Kessil 160? I’m unsure if the Kessil a80 is enough for an anemone and I don’t want the Kessil 160 to be an overkill and cause a lot of algae issues. If anyone can chime in and give me their opinion or advise based on experience I would appreciate it.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I need some help and was hoping someone can help me out. I have a 10 gallon aqueon tank (from petco) and I intend to make that an anemone tank, my struggle is deciding which light is best, would a Kessil a80 be enough or should I go with a Kessil 160? I’m unsure if the Kessil a80 is enough for an anemone and I don’t want the Kessil 160 to be an overkill and cause a lot of algae issues. If anyone can chime in and give me their opinion or advise based on experience I would appreciate it.

Id go with the 160, coverage on the 80s would quite cover all of a standard 10 gallon. Given Nems can wander the extra spread may be handy :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pick the a160we simply because it's more flexible if you ever want a larger tank.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the a160. Actually, I’d go with an AI Prime, but if you’re married to having a Kessil, I’d get the A160, the a80 just doesn’t have the spread or the power to light a 10g anemone tank (the A80 is only 15 watts).

OP
OP
S

striker24!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the a160. Actually, I’d go with an AI Prime, but if you’re married to having a Kessil, I’d get the A160, the a80 just doesn’t have the spread or the power to light a 10g anemone tank (the A80 is only 15 watts).
I actually have the AI Prime 16 in my main tank, but given I’m still new to the hobby, I want to try a Kessil to see what I prefer in the long run and I also feel the shimmer from the Kessil would really bring out the beauty of an anemone (I may be wrong, but just my guess), but thank you for you input, I appreciate it. I might just do the 160 after all. Would you suggest just lowering the intensity to not deal with excessive algae considering it is only a 10 gallon tank?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the AI Prime 16 in my main tank, but given I’m still new to the hobby, I want to try a Kessil to see what I prefer in the long run and I also feel the shimmer from the Kessil would really bring out the beauty of an anemone (I may be wrong, but just my guess), but thank you for you input, I appreciate it. I might just do the 160 after all. Would you suggest just lowering the intensity to not deal with excessive algae considering it is only a 10 gallon tank?
It’s more the depth of the tank than the footprint (assuming the light fully covers the footprint). I don’t think you’ll need to turn it way down. I would definitely get the controller with it (with Kessils you have to buy the controller separately), it has an acclimation mode if you want to use it. It also depends on the lighting the anemones are coming from. If they’re coming from your AI primes, I would try to set them at roughly the same intensity and height, and then just make sure the rock work allows them to move to lower or higher light.

Also, I can’t not say it, but if you’re planning on keeping clownfish, 10g isn’t big enough for even a single adult clown, let alone a pair. If that’s the plan I would recommend bumping it up to a minimum of 15g for one and 20g for two.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back