Help me make transgenic clownfish

Sirduckington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I work in a university laboratory where we study the mechanisms behind sex change in clownfish, our latest project involves making transgenic clownfish which has stumped us for over a year. We have injected hundreds of thousands of eggs and have produced a single transgenic clownfish. Our biggest problems involve keeping eggs alive and hatching them.

To make the transgenic fish, we take eggs that have been laid within an hour and use a 5uM needle to inject about 0.5nL of transgenic reagent into the egg. This presents a variety of problems. First, the parents somehow know that their eggs have been compromised and eat them, so we have to artificially incubate them. Artificial incubation has way worse survival than the fathers care for unclear reasons, but we have gotten to the point where we get a fair few eggs to hatch out semi regularly, where our main problem lies which is what I hope you guys can help with.

For whatever reason, these transgenic embryos (which we have confirmed prior to hatching) have a very hard time hatching out. One of our colleagues did a similar project and was incapable of getting them to hatch, he had to manually remove the embryo from the egg to get any surviving larvae which is a very difficult process due to the size of the eggs. We have tried varying a variety of parameters to see if we can make them hatch like aeration, rotifer and nanochloropsis concentration, and my latest experiment involves using a lamp to simulate moonlight to hopefully trigger them to hatch. The thing is we have done these exact same practices with non injected eggs and gotten fantastic survival, which makes me think something about being injected might scar the egg shell or something that makes it harder for the embryo to break out. Usually, in my experience, if they havent hatched by 8 days old (where the day they were laid was day 1), they dont hatch at all.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to stimulate them to hatch? Any advice in general would be greatly appreciated>

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was bugging me so I looked it up:

"A transgenic fish is one that contains genes from another species. A transgenic fish is an improved variety of fish provided with one or more desirable foreign gene for the purpose of enhancing fish quality, growth, resistance and productivity."

So my take is "mutant clownfish". Since the OP doesn't indicate what genes are being spliced, my vote is for piranha (give the little buggers a real set of teeth to go with that personality!) :face-in-clouds:

Last edited by a moderator:

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about the Glowfish.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, back to our original question. I would suggest using the scientific method to assess your failures. Maybe start with injecting the eggs with an inert substance to see if the eggs still have a hard time hatching or the clownfish still eat them. Look at your observations from that and modify them to suit your needs. My two cents...

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing these "ChatGPT" type posts on a few different forums lately... Food for thought.

f3cf652b459d4e68d722526138955856.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing these "ChatGPT" type posts on a few different forums lately... Food for thought.
Now you're making me wonder how many "real" conversations I've had this past year, lol.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the first thing is that you should have a control group of normal clownfish eggs hatching and compare the success rate and methods on the normal vs transgenic ones to have an idea of where things go wrong.

If the success rate between the two is vastly different I guess the gene modification results in not viable offsprings.

OP
OP
S

Sirduckington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was bugging me so I looked it up:

"A transgenic fish is one that contains genes from another species. A transgenic fish is an improved variety of fish provided with one or more desirable foreign gene for the purpose of enhancing fish quality, growth, resistance and productivity."

So my take is "mutant clownfish". Since the OP doesn't indicate what genes are being spliced, my vote is for piranha (give the little buggers a real set of teeth to go with that personality!) :face-in-clouds:
Your closer than you think lol. Right now we are inserting a gene called GFP from jellyfish which glows under UV light as a proof of concept.

OP
OP
S

Sirduckington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the first thing is that you should have a control group of normal clownfish eggs hatching and compare the success rate and methods on the normal vs transgenic ones to have an idea of where things go wrong.

If the success rate between the two is vastly different I guess the gene modification results in not viable offsprings.
The insertion of a new gene will definitely result in a decent number of deaths due to the fact we cant control where it's inserted so it may be inserted in the middle of a gene vital for life. That being said, I think they usually die in development as opposed to at hatch out. Injected eggs see a big spike in death when they are 3 days old compared to controls and after that their survival is much more comparable.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait for someone to throw one in the ocean!...which always happens...

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The insertion of a new gene will definitely result in a decent number of deaths due to the fact we cant control where it's inserted so it may be inserted in the middle of a gene vital for life. That being said, I think they usually die in development as opposed to at hatch out. Injected eggs see a big spike in death when they are 3 days old compared to controls and after that their survival is much more comparable.
So "Proof of concept" is simply the reason for doing so?

I know there was a freshwater fish that they inserted similar genes into that glow, but this was done to highlight poor water quality as they would react to this and begin to glow. So at least there was a reason lol!

Glowing clownfish do sound cool, but I'm so attached to my clownfish that I actually feel bad for the little guys going through this!

OP
OP
S

Sirduckington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So "Proof of concept" is simply the reason for doing so?

I know there was a freshwater fish that they inserted similar genes into that glow, but this was done to highlight poor water quality as they would react to this and begin to glow. So at least there was a reason lol!

Glowing clownfish do sound cool, but I'm so attached to my clownfish that I actually feel bad for the little guys going through this!
Well the gene we are actually interested in is only expressed in the brain so we want to make sure we understand how to insert genes in this model before we go to the experimental gene as it's way easier to see if a whole fish is glowing rather than just it's brain.

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed this

"The thing is we have done these exact same practices with non injected eggs and gotten fantastic survival, which makes me think something about being injected might scar the egg shell or something that makes it harder for the embryo to break out."

in the original post.

I dont understand whats the question, if your specific manipulation is the reason for the low hatch rate, its you who knows exactly what you changed, how could others point out issues in what you ve done specifically.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back