• 2x hydra 32

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the hobby so I am in desperate need of some input to make the least amount of regrets as possible down the road. I bought a Red Sea reefer 350 g2 that should be here in the next few weeks and I will go over my list of gear I have/need some help deciding. I can provide pictures of my aquascape if it helps to decide how many’s powerheads or lighting would be best

Tank goals
For this tank I don’t plan for it to be some super high end or fancy tank since it is my first tank and I’m bound to kill a lot of stuff. So it is going to be a mixed reef with mostly hammers,torches,monti cap, a nem and a few sps on my top shelf. My preference is the bright colors that have lots of movement but that could change down the road.

Current gear
80lbs of live Fiji pink sand
85lbs of dry rock which I probably only used 60
2x 200w heaters for some redundancy
2x ai Nero 5 power heads (will need more in the future)

Gear I need help on
Skimmer
Return pump
Lighting
Any other tips/products that help in the long run

My thought
For a skimmer I am leaning towards the rsk 300 mostly due to the fact that I like the brand and I’m a fan of the tube to drain the cup. Now my only 2 concerns are that I would eventually be nearly maxing out the recommended bioload at 75g and also it’s an ac pump and I am trying to keep the tank as quiet as possible.

For my return pump I have 3 options in mind. If your opinion is that a sicce silent 4 won’t be too loud then I will probably go that route because of ac reliability. As far as dc goes I’m between the reef octopus and Neptune pumps. I like the Core pumps because it will hook up to my future apex and then I like the reef octopus because who doesn’t like saving a few bucks

For lighting I am definitely leaning toward 2 radions because I have first hand experience with them on my dads 400g and they look amazing. I know ideally 3 would provide better spread but I would rather put that extra 500 elsewhere in the tank until I get sps that needs the extra light. I also like the idea of ai prime because of the app and also I can add more lights for cheaper to provide better spread. Given the lights are not as strong.

For Flow my Nero 5’s will be on the back wall because I hate seeing powerheads and cords. Although I could add more to the back to help flow I am leaning toward a mp40 on the side since there will be no cords in the tank and it provides a clean look. Or do u think the 2 Nero 5 are enough for a mixed reef.

thanks for everyone’s input.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a preference for the blue, so I voted 2x XR15 G5/G6 Blues. Pumps either a COR20 or Sicce SDC 7. Wavemakers a pair of ReefWave25s or MP40s. Skimmers I'd get either a RSK-300/600 or Nyos Quantum 120/160. Don't forget a UV. And definitely get the ReefMat500 and ReefDose4.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a preference for the blue, so I voted 2x XR15 G5/G6 Blues. Pumps either a COR20 or Sicce SDC 7. Wavemakers a pair of ReefWave25s or MP40s. Skimmers I'd get either a RSK-300/600 or Nyos Quantum 120/160. Don't forget a UV. And definitely get the ReefMat500 and ReefDose4.
Do u think 2 xr15s will be enough lighting? Also do u think a carbon reactor would be a good idea or just have carbon in a media bag?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u think 2 xr15s will be enough lighting? Also do u think a carbon reactor would be a good idea or just have carbon in a media bag?
Yes (my LFS has the same tank with a pair of XR15 G5 Blues in their store). Yes, Nyos also makes a Torq reactor and various bodies (I use two of these in my tank).

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 radions for a new tank is more then enough for 350 I have the 425 and use the red sea skimmer 300. I would save the $500 and get a dose pump eventually not needed for first few months. I would keep your build simple and you can always add more on. Don't over complicate it and spend money on things you don't need. Get the test kits a refractometer rodi setup and go through ugly phase and then figure out what your putting in tank. Another good light for your tank could be

Photon 50-V2 Pro LED Light Fixture Reef breeder​

Do some research on a cheap qt tank its worth the 80 bucks to save you the hassle. I have a 10 gallon coral qt tank and a 20 gallon Fish one I only setup when adding new fish. between both tanks and light cost me 150 and probably saved me 500 in stopping disease. Better to have fish meds on hand general cure copper before you get fish in case they get sick.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 radions for a new tank is more then enough for 350 I have the 425 and use the red sea skimmer 300. I would save the $500 and get a dose pump eventually not needed for first few months. I would keep your build simple and you can always add more on. Don't over complicate it and spend money on things you don't need. Get the test kits a refractometer rodi setup and go through ugly phase and then figure out what your putting in tank. Another good light for your tank could be

Photon 50-V2 Pro LED Light Fixture Reef breeder​

Do some research on a cheap qt tank its worth the 80 bucks to save you the hassle. I have a 10 gallon coral qt tank and a 20 gallon Fish one I only setup when adding new fish. between both tanks and light cost me 150 and probably saved me 500 in stopping disease. Better to have fish meds on hand general cure copper before you get fish in case they get sick.
Thanks for the info! I actually have 2 tanks set up for qt right now because my dad uses them to qt all of his livestock for his 400 gallon. What’s ur opinion on lighting during the cycle? I’ve heard mixed opinions… some say u should use the lights and some say to leave the lights off so the algae doesn’t grow meaning potential no ugly stage. Also what do u think would be the best way of starting coralline growth? I know it will come over time but I’ve seen products u can add or would it be better to scrape a lot off of my dads and let it seed my tank?

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes (my LFS has the same tank with a pair of XR15 G5 Blues in their store). Yes, Nyos also makes a Torq reactor and various bodies (I use two of these in my tank).
Is carbon something I should use from the start or once I start noticing impurities? I’ve only ever had a 20 gallon hob clown tank so I never got very technical with it.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I actually have 2 tanks set up for qt right now because my dad uses them to qt all of his livestock for his 400 gallon. What’s ur opinion on lighting during the cycle? I’ve heard mixed opinions… some say u should use the lights and some say to leave the lights off so the algae doesn’t grow meaning potential no ugly stage. Also what do u think would be the best way of starting coralline growth? I know it will come over time but I’ve seen products u can add or would it be better to scrape a lot off of my dads and let it seed my tank?
Id say seed it after the cycle because you need some what stable perimeters to grow Coraline. I kept mine on a short schedule on a dimmer setting like 5%-10%. Let it happen just limit it and remove growth algae as needed. I would dose the tank with bacteria startup like DR. tims or something to help with cycle and ghost feed it a little for first week or so. Then get hermit crabs and couple snails in one qt and get 2 fish in other qt during cycle treat them with copper and there ready to go in tank right as your tank is ready for them.

I heard adding copepods right after the cycle can really help with algae control and start up a health pod population. I only put carbon in filter area change once a month bulk reef supply has a good price. No need until after fish in there.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51E8104D-EA1E-4184-8C92-405D49ADC8C2.jpeg
E69446F8-8922-47A4-8F85-05D841D38D05.jpeg
3271AEEF-96FB-437A-861A-2F2EAB57C3C6.jpeg
AE51C805-D7BB-410A-97A7-C85DD22BF644.jpeg

ED5BD223-9093-42DE-B02F-07971441A236.jpeg

Here is my current aquascape that I’ve been tinkering with. Anything you would suggest changing for better flow or coral placement. My goal is to have lps on the sides and on the main arch I would have sps since it’s higher for more intense light. My main concern with this structure is lack of places to put coral in the future but I guess it’s part of it when I like the more open look. I also plan on adding something to the left side so it fills it out and doesn’t look so symmetrical. Also the center rocks on the sand bed will get swapped out if I find something cooler. My goal for the center rock is to have gsp or mushrooms so then I can contain them instead of it spreading to all of the rocks and taking over.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say seed it after the cycle because you need some what stable perimeters to grow Coraline. I kept mine on a short schedule on a dimmer setting like 5%-10%. Let it happen just limit it and remove growth algae as needed. I would dose the tank with bacteria startup like DR. tims or something to help with cycle and ghost feed it a little for first week or so. Then get hermit crabs and couple snails in one qt and get 2 fish in other qt during cycle treat them with copper and there ready to go in tank right as your tank is ready for them.

I heard adding copepods right after the cycle can really help with algae control and start up a health pod population. I only put carbon in filter area change once a month bulk reef supply has a good price. No need until after fish in there.
I have heard of adding the copepods after the cycle but I always thought it was so they could hide without being ate by the fish. It makes sense that they would help with some algae control. Do u recommend starting with a Fuge so they have a better place to reproduce or is the rock work enough? As far as the Fuge goes what’s ur opinion on adding chaeto from someone else’s tank? My dad has a boat load that he is always just throwing away.
image.jpg

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
51E8104D-EA1E-4184-8C92-405D49ADC8C2.jpeg
3271AEEF-96FB-437A-861A-2F2EAB57C3C6.jpeg
AE51C805-D7BB-410A-97A7-C85DD22BF644.jpeg

Here is my current aquascape that I’ve been tinkering with. Anything you would suggest changing for better flow or coral placement. My goal is to have lps on the sides and on the main arch I would have sps since it’s higher for more intense light. My main concern with this structure is lack of places to put coral in the future but I guess it’s part of it when I like the more open look. I also plan on adding something to the left side so it fills it out and doesn’t look so symmetrical. Also the center rocks on the sand bed will get swapped out if I find something cooler. My goal for the center rock is to have gsp or mushrooms so then I can contain them instead of it spreading to all of the rocks and taking over.
I think it looks great what you can do is put some more island rock on the bottom and get like zoa garden or acans etc. Not most natural look but looks very nice great work! I think it will be great and if you need more space you can get the branching rocks and create branches coming off side for more coral down the road.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is carbon something I should use from the start or once I start noticing impurities? I’ve only ever had a 20 gallon hob clown tank so I never got very technical with it.
After you've cycled the tank and when you're reading to start adding fish, both carbon and GFO should be considered if you don't plan on running a refugium. I run ~500ml of carbon and ~500ml of GFO in my Red Sea 750XXL, so you'll need roughly half of that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look great - just remember that happy fish = hidden fish. This is my low-profile rockscape which is geared towards making the fish happy (3x 25-30lb slabs of Marco shelf rock and an assortment of other rock to create various crevices, caves and tunnels). There's 44 fish in the tank in this shot. Just in case you wanted a few ideas.

theabyss-fts2 2.jpg

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of adding the copepods after the cycle but I always thought it was so they could hide without being ate by the fish. It makes sense that they would help with some algae control. Do u recommend starting with a Fuge so they have a better place to reproduce or is the rock work enough? As far as the Fuge goes what’s ur opinion on adding chaeto from someone else’s tank? My dad has a boat load that he is always just throwing away.
image.jpg
I think its great to have talk to your dad. If he has any pest he wouldn't want to give you. What you can do is put chaeto in a bucket of saltwater from tank after cycle and a small fuge light for 2 weeks qt dip in freshwater rodi for a min or two before buckets and then you killed everything in there. Copepods can thrive in rocks but the fudge helps with maintaining population if you have a wrasse or something that eats them.

I just started growing cheato from golf ball size algae barn 3 weeks ago. I noticed my nitrates were a little high for my liking and I have small patches of red turf algae here and there.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look great - just remember that happy fish = hidden fish. This is my low-profile rockscape which is geared towards making the fish happy (3x 25-30lb slabs of Marco shelf rock and an assortment of other rock to create various crevices, caves and tunnels). There's 44 fish in the tank in this shot. Just in case you wanted a few ideas.

theabyss-fts2 2.jpg
Awesome tank! How do u like those wave makers? I was thinking either mp40 or a reefwave 25 on the side to pair with my Nero 5’s

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its great to have talk to your dad. If he has any pest he wouldn't want to give you. What you can do is put chaeto in a bucket of saltwater from tank after cycle and a small fuge light for 2 weeks qt dip in freshwater rodi for a min or two before buckets and then you killed everything in there. Copepods can thrive in rocks but the fudge helps with maintaining population if you have a wrasse or something that eats them.

I just started growing cheato from golf ball size algae barn 3 weeks ago. I noticed my nitrates were a little high for my liking and I have small patches of red turf algae here and there.
His tank is actually surprising clean and has been up for about 8 years but my main concern is that at the moment he has something going on with one of his tangs that look like fin rot or maybe he’s just getting bullied but I wasn’t sure if a disease will be transferred through cheato.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my redsea 6 months after a crash lost my sps but on rebound. As you can see there are 1000 ways to do a tank both can be successful but I bet @blaxsun and I have the fundamentals stable perimeters import export and know what are life stock desire how we get there is different but the core is normally pretty similar. Do what you like but stick to the basic and have the tank you want.
reef 3.jpg

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you've cycled the tank and when you're reading to start adding fish, both carbon and GFO should be considered if you don't plan on running a refugium. I run ~500ml of carbon and ~500ml of GFO in my Red Sea 750XXL, so you'll need roughly half of that.
Is a manifold worth building from the start or is it not worth the hassle? My dad just uses the brs gfo and carbon reactor but it’s a little bit ugly lol.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres my redsea 6 months after a crash lost my sps but on rebound. As you can see there are 1000 ways to do a tank both can be successful but I bet @blaxsun and I have the fundamentals stable perimeters import export and know what are life stock desire how we get there is different but the core is normally pretty similar. Do what you like but stick to the basic and have the tank you want.
reef 3.jpg
What do u recommend as far as dosing pump and product? My dad uses the Neptune dos but He hasn’t had the greatest luck and it’s only a 2 head dosing pump for the same cost as Redsea’s 4 head. I understand the basics on how to dose but the millions of different brands and chemicals are what confuse me. Also what do u recommend for testing parameters? I’ve seen a lot of people use Red Sea but I feel like I’m just jumping on the bandwagon for red sea and I don’t want to if there’s better options.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another concern/obstacle I have is the ato. The one that comes with the tank will work for now but ultimately I will want a reservoir that can hold more. Should I build a appx. 8gallon ato reservoir in the other side of the cabinet or should I buy a tunze valve that hooks directly to rodi unit? I’ve heard of the ato never turning off and that would really suck being hooks directly to rodi but man would it be nice to never have to refill the reservoir.
13CACAC0-35E2-4BCF-9601-4E94FFE01A90.jpeg
69DABEB6-0D3D-4428-BD70-165546D5DBA6.jpeg

the first picture is where I plan on putting my tank between the windows. the second picture is directly underneath my tank in the basement. My plan is if going directly from the rodi unit is an option then I would run a ato line up through the floor and out the hole where the old cable used to connect to the wall since I don’t even have cable anymore. It should work out In theory because if u look at where I installed new gfci outlets it’s on the right side where the controllers will be and roughly 3 1/2 ft to the left is the old cable outlet where I plan to have the ato line coming out of which would line up perfectly with the sump side.

btw. In the basement is where I plan on having the rodi unit and mixing station.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back