Help! Sick fish!

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this is up under his belly and how to cure it? He won't eat, either.

20240314_164655.jpg 20240314_164705.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone know what this is up under his belly and how to cure it? He won't eat, either.

20240314_164655.jpg 20240314_164705.jpg
Fish appears to be egg bound but can also be bacterial. Need pics under brighter white light- no blue to clearly assess

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would it be wise to remove him and place him in a 3 gallon quarantine with erythromycin just in case?
Erythomyacin may work. Kanamyacin would be more effective if a blemish.
Seachem Kanaplex is kanamyacin

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have just one or are there others? And if so are the others showing the same symptoms

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have just one or are there others? And if so are the others showing the same symptoms
Only fish in this setup are the one guy and a purple dottyback. Have had Benggai for about 8 months, maybe? Yesterday evening when he was towards the top of the tank I just assumed he was chasing his reflection which he loves to do at night under the blues.. then today when he wouldn't eat I began to worry then noticed the fin on his underside starting to melt a little bit.

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythomyacin may work. Kanamyacin would be more effective if a blemish.
Seachem Kanaplex is kanamyacin
This is all I have on me right now. Or do I wait until tomorrow when I can maybe go get him something else (I'm in Denver and we just got 14" of snow today).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
See comment above but here's what's on hand.

20240314_190217.jpg
the erythromyacin can be used but im not keen with this product. The bottle you have are all what we call tonics and are not effective and more freshwater specific. Quick start is bacteria and both on the right contain teak tree oil and deos nothing. I refer use of seachem kanaplex which is absorbed by fish and works internally and externally

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the erythromyacin can be used but im not keen with this product. The bottle you have are all what we call tonics and are not effective and more freshwater specific. Quick start is bacteria and both on the right contain teak tree oil and deos nothing. I refer use of seachem kanaplex which is absorbed by fish and works internally and externally
Okay thanks for your insight I really really appreciate all your help. I will venture out and find some tomorrow. The area affected has little white stringys coming from it this evening. Not sure if that helps your diagnosis or not?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Okay thanks for your insight I really really appreciate all your help. I will venture out and find some tomorrow. The area affected has little white stringys coming from it this evening. Not sure if that helps your diagnosis or not?
sounds like separation of protective skin slime and would be bacterial

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those are from my betta fish. Which explains the freshwater side of things. I haven't had any sick sea fishes until now..
sounds like separation of protective skin slime and would be bacterial
Untreated he will die? Also, the kanaplex can be dosed in my reef tank or does he need a hospital tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All of those are from my betta fish. Which explains the freshwater side of things. I haven't had any sick sea fishes until now..

Untreated he will die? Also, the kanaplex can be dosed in my reef tank or does he need a hospital tank?
fish should be fine although it can be delicate in some cases

OP
OP
borrowedthemoon

borrowedthemoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish should be fine although it can be delicate in some cases
I went and picked up some kanaplex today from LFS. It would be more risky for me to catch and set up a quarantine tank for my benggai. My question is/are:

Do I have to remove all of my snails, hermits, and my emerald crab if I dose the water?
Same question but if I don't dose the water and mix it with his food (assuming he will eat it)?
Thanks again for all your help with this process!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back